Possible return to the UK, without any money.

So many people say get a job. Not that easy. Age 64 (or there abouts), heart condition, no recent employment history, no address. Most applications will be ignored. And an alcoholic. I found it damn difficult to find a job when i was just 55 and recently made redundant. The only job i could get involved some lifting and physical work, i ended up at the chiropractor (not free) or in Physiotherapy every few months. In my last year of work i was signed off on sick leave more than 50% of the time. I gave up, took early retirement and came to Thailand.

Fortunately i have survived here for 13 years without any major issues and have enough pension money to live comfortably if not lavishly. But major surgery like the OP would wipe me out.

Reality - getting somewhere PERMANENT to live is an issue. Rents have gone through the roof. He would be dependent on help from his local council, if he can find one which will take him on (you have to prove a connection to the area). Also because he has been living outside the UK, no automatic benefits (JSA, universal credit, etc.) will be paid for 3 months. Those first 3 months will be a struggle. Some financial assistance may be found, but not a given thing. Yes, the local council has a responsibility, but they are hopelessly overstretched.

Do not know how much the OP has left in cash or what monthly income he has if any, but if he cannot survive 3 months it will be a struggle. A van, if he can afford it, is a possible thing.

As for living on the streets, even in the summer temperatures can fall below 10 degrees Centigrade in summer; i remember night fishing some years ago and 3-5 a.m. it was COLD even in summer. I doubt if the OP would survive 6 months with his age and health.

I feel sorry for the OP, but he has some tough decisions to make.

My advice to everyone - circumstances change, and you need to maintain a lifeline to your home country if it has a decent social system. 3 important things to maintain....

1. A bank account. You cannot open a UK bank account without an address and utility bills, and without one you cannot rent accommodation.

2. Maintain an address - either with relatives or friends, it helps (with point one, for instance).

3. Keep enough money there to survive 3 months - if you have been living abroad, you are a non-person for those first 3 months (my son experienced this TWICE on returning to the UK, after living abroad for over 6 months).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rickudon said:

A van, if he can afford it, is a possible thing.

I have a home to go to but if I were in the OPs shoes , even getting a van can be expensive these days, When I left the UK many years ago a reasonable old banger with MOT could be had for 500 pounds. These days , very hard to find one at that price. Will need considerably more plus a bit of spare cash in case it breaks down. More affordable would be a good tent, mattress and sleeping bag for some stealth camping. Even this only possible in the summer.

23 minutes ago, Denim said:

I have a home to go to but if I were in the OPs shoes , even getting a van can be expensive these days, When I left the UK many years ago a reasonable old banger with MOT could be had for 500 pounds. These days , very hard to find one at that price. Will need considerably more plus a bit of spare cash in case it breaks down. More affordable would be a good tent, mattress and sleeping bag for some stealth camping. Even this only possible in the summer.

But you can't insure the van or get a driving license without an address, 

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But you can't insure the van or get a driving license without an address, 

That's  a bummer for anyone who has absolutely  no relatives, friends or contacts.

• 4 months later...
On 6/26/2023 at 8:17 AM, sapson said:

One problem you have to dodge is the HRT, habitual residence test, if youve been out of the country for a few years you have to wait three months on your return to then be eligible to claim universal credit the weekly allowance and housing benefit both would only start from month four.

Unless you dont tell them youve been abroad so long, then they require previous address employment etc so its difficult but possible. You must also show intent to make Uk now your permanent home.

However if you are deported not recommended you dont need the HRT test and qualify for immediate claiming of benefits. not sure if simply coming to the end of a visa soon and having to leave before illegal status imprisonment would work although its common sense not always noted by computer says no DSS new claims call center in Mumbai. 

Wish you the very best of good fortune!

Maybe i was lucky

I returned after 28 years away HRT test took place a job centre i was confirmed UK resident a week later universal credit and rent payment  stated within a month

i was honest told them i had run out of money come back to work till my pension kicked in October 2024 when i would return to home in Thailand

Nationwide opened  bank account no problems

qualified for NHS check up free eyes tests meds  now awaiting small hernia op on NHS (12 weeks ) then time for the off

Plenty of well paid  jobs around so moving back ahead of schedule

Edited by poohy
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2023 at 10:47 AM, rickudon said:

So many people say get a job. Not that easy. Age 64 (or there abouts), heart condition, no recent employment history, no address. Most applications will be ignored. And an alcoholic. I found it damn difficult to find a job when i was just 55 and recently made redundant. The only job i could get involved some lifting and physical work, i ended up at the chiropractor (not free) or in Physiotherapy every few months. In my last year of work i was signed off on sick leave more than 50% of the time. I gave up, took early retirement and came to Thailand.

Fortunately i have survived here for 13 years without any major issues and have enough pension money to live comfortably if not lavishly. But major surgery like the OP would wipe me out.

Reality - getting somewhere PERMANENT to live is an issue. Rents have gone through the roof. He would be dependent on help from his local council, if he can find one which will take him on (you have to prove a connection to the area). Also because he has been living outside the UK, no automatic benefits (JSA, universal credit, etc.) will be paid for 3 months. Those first 3 months will be a struggle. Some financial assistance may be found, but not a given thing. Yes, the local council has a responsibility, but they are hopelessly overstretched.

Do not know how much the OP has left in cash or what monthly income he has if any, but if he cannot survive 3 months it will be a struggle. A van, if he can afford it, is a possible thing.

As for living on the streets, even in the summer temperatures can fall below 10 degrees Centigrade in summer; i remember night fishing some years ago and 3-5 a.m. it was COLD even in summer. I doubt if the OP would survive 6 months with his age and health.

I feel sorry for the OP, but he has some tough decisions to make.

My advice to everyone - circumstances change, and you need to maintain a lifeline to your home country if it has a decent social system. 3 important things to maintain....

1. A bank account. You cannot open a UK bank account without an address and utility bills, and without one you cannot rent accommodation.

2. Maintain an address - either with relatives or friends, it helps (with point one, for instance).

3. Keep enough money there to survive 3 months - if you have been living abroad, you are a non-person for those first 3 months (my son experienced this TWICE on returning to the UK, after living abroad for over 6 months).

Good post.

4. Maintain ID's. Without valid ID you can't get the bank account, rental address or any type of financial services. Can get a safe deposit box at a bank before you move with your birth certificate, ID's, some cash, etc. Cheaper then a storage unit. It's always there if shtf. 

Edited by JimTripper