Chinese tour group apologised after causing harm to Thai marine life

webfact

Two Chinese Tourists Officially Charged After Starfish Incident in Phuket
By Goongnang Suksawat

image.jpeg

Phuket – Concern has been rising after photos of divers touching starfish under the sea in Phuket went viral on Thai social media.

The issue has been brought to light by the Facebook page ‘Monsoon Garbage Thailand’ earlier this week.

They posted photos with a message that concluded, “Illegal tour companies with illegal tour guides are around Racha Island (in the Chalong area) . This particular incident was on Thursday (June 22nd) in the afternoon. We received a video clip from a Good Samaritan. Divers in the video clip appeared to pick up starfish and took photos. Some divers even climbed on coral reefs.”

They have called for relevant authorities to investigate the incident which took place over the past several days.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/06/25/two-chinese-tourists-officially-charged-after-starfish-incident-in-phuket/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-06-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Interesting - the diving tourists got charged for an offence that carries a sentence of up to 2 years jail and/or a 200'000 Baht fine  ......

while the dive company and their dive instructors got away with a proverbial wai.

Just wondering whether or not the Chinese have been instructed not to Interfere with marine life and the possible consequences of doing that under thai law prior to the dive.

• Thumbs Up 2

I briefly used to work on a private yacht (Below Deck style) whose owner loved to dive, sometimes 3 times a day. What I saw in Indonesia and particularly Thailand was mind blowing.

Thai diving boats crowded around a particular diving spot, backing up and dumping dozens of Chinese divers in a white water of spinning props. It was carnage. Somehow I needed to look after my 2-3 guests who threw themselves into this cauldron, possibly loathing it as much as me. Insanity.

In other words, this doesn't surprise me at all. Did give me a taster of what Thai greed looks like, especially in combination with Chinese tourisms. Pack 'm in like sardines, steam to the diving spot, chuck them overboard on top of the diving spot and let them destroy whatever is in arm's reach. Next day, rinse repeat.

Sad to see that nothing's changed.

Edited by Bassosa
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Two Chinese Tourists Officially Charged After Starfish Incident in Phuket
By Goongnang Suksawat

image.jpeg

Phuket – Concern has been rising after photos of divers touching starfish under the sea in Phuket went viral on Thai social media.

The issue has been brought to light by the Facebook page ‘Monsoon Garbage Thailand’ earlier this week.

They posted photos with a message that concluded, “Illegal tour companies with illegal tour guides are around Racha Island (in the Chalong area) . This particular incident was on Thursday (June 22nd) in the afternoon. We received a video clip from a Good Samaritan. Divers in the video clip appeared to pick up starfish and took photos. Some divers even climbed on coral reefs.”

They have called for relevant authorities to investigate the incident which took place over the past several days.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/06/25/two-chinese-tourists-officially-charged-after-starfish-incident-in-phuket/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-06-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

If you involve in prostitution,  expect to get <deleted>.