Safety concerns prompt people to dump their fire extinguishers

webfact

image.jpeg

Dry chemical fire extinguishers are being found at garbage dumps or near fire stations in Bangkok, after their owners became concerned over their safety, according to Thirayuth Phumisak, director of the Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

The sudden concern over the safety of fire extinguishers began after a fire drill accident on Friday at the Rachawinit School, during which one fire extinguisher, filled with carbon dioxide, burst, killing a student and injuring 10 other people.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/safety-concerns-prompt-people-to-dump-their-fire-extinguishers/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Why dump them, just get them checked?

Maybe they looked to bad that it was obvious....

Ours looked pretty bad a few years ago...will check them now and I am sure I'll just dumb them.....and hope they don't explode while I do that.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Yes, I dumped my fire extinguisher of 10 years now too, unfortunately it still worked.
Now just looking for a new one with safety valve also suitable for lithium ion battery fires.

For the burning cars I read they submerge them in water...I guess not easy to kill that electric fire.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, h90 said:

For the burning cars I read they submerge them in water...I guess not easy to kill that electric fire.

I agree with you, but today i ordered another common fire extinguisher anyway but i noticed not one has a safety valve.

2 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

It is wat I mention before, the most fire extinguisher don't have a safety valve, I searching on Shopee and Lazada.

Really? Shopee, Lazada Don’t buy a life-saving item from a country with poor safety standards. Would you buy a laptop from ALiexpress? My goodness, you guys!

Just now, Mintyy said:

Really? Shopee, Lazada Don’t buy a life-saving item from a country with poor safety standards. Would you buy a laptop from ALiexpress? My goodness, you guys!

Get it directly from Thailand. 

Fact is you dont put a pressurized vessel or object in heat/sun, so it could pressure up.

But depends on what extinguisher, as you have ones pressurized all the time (it has a manometer) or the ones with a separate tank inside.

Never the less the tanks are tested on 1.5 the working pressure, but that is when all is regulated. If you have cheap extinguisher (non regulated), maybe they are not tested at all. Does Thailand has rules about them or just anyone can sell bs extinguishers?

Tanks also have destruction test (just a pick of 1/2 tank in a batch), to see how strong they are. That test is way higher in pressure.

There should be a breaking plate in the system, which breaks if pressure is too high. But all in a regulated system.

Now you had one exploding, so is the right breaking plate in it? As it differs from kind of extinguisher.

powder has a max working pressure of 16 bar, CO2 300 bar, but breaking at 200 bar, halon do around 20-25 bar (not really commercial anymore)

However if see you this movie, nothing is said about breaking plate and i dont see.

The guy is doing a hydro test , demanded in 12 year age. 3X the working pressure.

Also dont understand why the mechanic isnt using the proper tools, Fitting wrenches. or a safety goggle, probably dont care for getting some chemical dust in eyes, USA rules?

But people now also throw away there gas tanks? It is the same, you put it in heat, pressure goes up. Where is the safety valve on a gas tank? There is only a hand valve on it and that is it. Put it in the sun and wait. Put your deodorant bus in the sun, see what happens(DONT for both matters)

Or for that matter throw away the car? Tires get hotter by sun, when driving then also the pressure goes up, you could blow up your tire(s).

Ridiculous they throw away their fire extinguishers. 

Still Thai people drive without drivers license, more then 2 people on motorbike, no light, reversed direction, drunk.

What you could do after all that time, find a store where they test and can do refills, ask for price.

Then have the old bottle and use it, so you can see what is does after such a period and you worked with it, experience. Be aware, where you point it too.

Then bring it to the store and have it tested and refilled.

My car is now 20 years old, but still not on km for changing driving belt. However decided to do so.

There is a mileage for it but no time. I saw the "old" belt, it looked fine, also the ball bearing for the right tension.

They also recommend the water pump, as it was on the same place. And that one showed damage, however never had high temperatures. It costed me, but think worthwhile.

Of course the garage "let you decide", as i asked first if it was needed. They didnt "know".