Cannabis cultivating resources

For those that grow cannabis here in Thailand I was just wondering what medium and nutrients you use? You can get some of the best nutrient brands, such as Gaia Green and Fox Farm on Lazada and Shopee but they have to be imported so they're expensive and increase my overheads too much. I'm always looking for local alternatives and just wondered what other people use? I've been using the Van Egmond soil and peat moss in the photos with success and I've managed to source perlite and worm castings locally, but nutrients seem to be thin on the ground in shops in Thailand? In the last photo is some biocharged compost from Home Pro that I haven't used yet, I'm thinking of making some compost teas with it and wondered if anybody on here has used this product? 

20230529_161246.jpg

20230602_093401.jpg

20230628_103439.jpg

20230628_103430.jpg

20230628_103512.jpg

55 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, I am a newbie but I have had some experience of growing in the past. I take it you don't use compost teas? Those nutrients you use have very unorthodox NPK ratios for growing cannabis but I'm sure you wouldn't recommend them if they didn't work? How many plants do you grow and what sort of yields are you getting with those nutrients? Many thanks for the links, much appreciated! 

Edited by Siam_Sam

20 minutes ago, Siam_Sam said:

Yes, I am a newbie but I have had some experience of growing in the past. I take it you don't use compost teas? Many thanks for the links, much appreciated! 

PH is more important than nutrients IMHO. 

Teaspoon of nutrient in a washing up bowl of water, then stir in citric acid (very cheap in all bakery suppliers) until pH = 6.

I like this pH pen, calibrate in a glass of fresh milk until 6.6. (every 3 months) 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.QLpL5

Edited by BritManToo

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

PH is more important than nutrients IMHO. 

Teaspoon of nutrient in a washing up bowl of water, then stir in citric acid (very cheap in all bakery suppliers) until pH = 6.

I like this pH pen, calibrate in a glass of fresh milk until 6.6. (every 3 months) 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.QLpL5

My last two feeds were at 6.4 and things are going well with my current grow. I've bought a lot of expensive equipment, including a Bluelab PH pen and PH buffers for calibration. Do you measure PPM/EC levels when you feed or do you not bother? 

please be careful when buying the nutes on lazada or shoppee. many times the seller has diluted the mixture. 

there is company here in thailand making gh rendition on the cheap. my farm has been using it and its great. exoctic thai chili company or something.

also you could message @tomster he should be able to help you out as well. 

here are a few pics of purchases i have made on lazada. buyer beware. both were watered down from the original but the one was soooo bad. 

20230427_082609.jpg

20230427_082617.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Siam_Sam said:

My last two feeds were at 6.4 and things are going well with my current grow. I've bought a lot of expensive equipment, including a Bluelab PH pen and PH buffers for calibration. Do you measure PPM/EC levels when you feed or do you not bother? 

@Siam_Sam - you are on the right path. ????

In terms of terms nutrients @stoner recommendation is good - the nutrient from Exotic Chillis Thailand is effective and well priced. Also Nutra Hydro is another local manufacturer and most people that use it seem to be happy.

If you want imported nutrient blends you can't go wrong with Dutch Pro on their Lazada or Shopee store. Athena are here also but not that user friendly, imho.

@BritManToo - which milk are you using to calibrate your meter?  

Edited by tomster

20 minutes ago, tomster said:

How do you know it's 6.5 - 6.7?

I'll answer my own question to save time - you have no idea that it is 6.5 to 6.7 because you would need a properly calibrated ph pen to estbalish this.

Here is the milk I just pulled from my fridge:

IMG_20230629_085249.thumb.jpg.d4d44de4a92dfd26eefa247f1bc00644.jpg

That PH pen is properly calibrated using Buffer 4 & 7, shown in the background.

I can say with 99% certainty that that milk is 6.8 PH.

However, when you are doing it you are guessing, if the milk is a bit out then so is your pH pen.

Plus you need to calibrate at two points on the pH Pens, not one - especially on the cheaper pens.

The OP has a Bluelab PH pen and the proper calibration fluid by the looks of it - you don't.

I know you are trying to help but please, stop telling people this is an acceptable way to calibrate a PH pen, it is absolutely no such thing.

You need this:

https://shopee.co.th/Buffer-Solution-ph-4.01-±-0.05-30°C-Buffer-Solution-ph-7.0-±-0.05-30°C(น้ำยาคาริเบต)-จำนวน-1-คู่-i.37354102.8404005356

Use it once a week, most ph pens will drift around 0.2-0.4 within that timeframe if used daily - they usually drift upwards.

Cheers.

Edited by tomster
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, tomster said:

@Siam_Sam - you are on the right path. ????

In terms of terms nutrients @stoner recommendation is good - the nutrient from Exotic Chillis Thailand is effective and well priced. Also Nutra Hydro is another local manufacturer and most people that use it seem to be happy.

If you want imported nutrient blends you can't go wrong with Dutch Pro on their Lazada or Shopee store. Athena are here also but not that user friendly, imho.

@BritManToo - which milk are you using to calibrate your meter?  

Thanks very much for your advice. The nutrients on the Exotic Chilli Plants website are good value but I was looking last night and the powder that you buy from them has to be used to make up 5 gallons of liquid, which doesn't seem like a practical or professional way of doing things and puts me off buying any? 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Whatever is in the fridge, it all has the same ph of 6.5-6.7.

No it doesn't and to think it does and that you can calibrate a PH pen in it is laughable. Especially when you claim that "PH is more important than nutrients." 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Siam_Sam said:

which doesn't seem like a practical or professional way of doing things and puts me off buying any? 

when i first bought they were offering 25 gallon mixes.

jokes aside the stuff works quite well. no issues with it other than my lackluster grow skills :)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, stoner said:

when i first bought they were offering 25 gallon mixes.

jokes aside the stuff works quite well. no issues with it other than my lackluster grow skills ????

Ok cool, if I'm going to use their nutrients then I best be buying myself some containers to store it in. Have you used their powdered nutrients for the soil too? 

2 minutes ago, Siam_Sam said:

Ok cool, if I'm going to use their nutrients then I best be buying myself some containers to store it in. Have you used their powdered nutrients for the soil too? 

Do you necessarily need to mix it up all at once? If a kilo of powder makes 5 gallons, 500gm will make 2.5 gal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

Do you necessarily need to mix it up all at once? If a kilo of powder makes 5 gallons, 500gm will make 2.5 gal. 

yes you do. its not all just one powder that mixes into water. a couple of different powders come in each. the micro has 3. it would be a pain in the .... to mix up such small quantities weighing out powder as you go. lots of room for error and.......

on our first batch we were doing just that and had some failure. 

Edited by stoner
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

yes you do. its not all just one powder that mixes into water. a couple of different powders come in each. the micro has 3. it would be a pain in the .... to mix up such small quantities weighing out powder as you go. lots of room for error and.......

on our first batch we were doing just that and had some failure. 

Having done a “bit“ of lab work in the past, the standard way would be to make a concentrated solution and then dilute it as needed. In the example used here, if the product was to made into 5 gallons, then make it into 1 gallon. As you need it, take 1 unit of your concentrated 1 gallon solution, add 4 units of water and Bob's your uncle. 

The main caveat is that the nutrients may not be fully soluble in the smaller amount of water.

Also, I can't help you if you get too stoned and forget it's concentrate and destroy your crop! ????

16 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Having done a “bit“ of lab work in the past, the standard way would be to make a concentrated solution and then dilute it as needed. In the example used here, if the product was to made into 5 gallons, then make it into 1 gallon. As you need it, take 1 unit of your concentrated 1 gallon solution, add 4 units of water and Bob's your uncle. 

The main caveat is that the nutrients may not be fully soluble in the smaller amount of water.

Also, I can't help you if you get too stoned and forget it's concentrate and destroy your crop! ????

They sell liquid also. 

https://www.exoticchilliplantsthailand.com/product/exotic-energy-grow-micro-bloom/

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 11:26 AM, BritManToo said:

When you talk about 'teas' it sort of marks you as a total n00b/amateur. 

Whereas calibrating a PH meter with milk makes you look like a really experienced grower.

????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, gargamon said:

the issue was i didn't know there was 3 different salts in the pail. all of it looked like a single powder. not individual ones like the micro. it all needed to be mixed at once. when mixing it in single gallons i was not getting the proper mixture of each salt into the gallon.

1 hour ago, stoner said:

the issue was i didn't know there was 3 different salts in the pail. all of it looked like a single powder. not individual ones like the micro. it all needed to be mixed at once. when mixing it in single gallons i was not getting the proper mixture of each salt into the gallon.

LOL. Yes, the standard drug dealer problem. How do I ensure that when cutting my cocaine/heroin/XXX that it's a consistent mix and the good/bad stuff is evenly distributed in the final product?

I'd be concerned about consistency from the manufacturer/packager. They obviously don't have a properly working mixing system. If they're not mixing each package separately, then clearly one order will not be the same as the next. 

Anyway, making a liquid concentrate as I described earlier would be what I would do. It can't fix the consistency issue between shipments but at least each shipment will be constant. You'd have to mix your own to get it constant, or find a packager that is doing it properly.

12 minutes ago, gargamon said:

LOL. Yes, the standard drug dealer problem. How do I ensure that when cutting my cocaine/heroin/XXX that it's a consistent mix and the good/bad stuff is evenly distributed in the final product?

I'd be concerned about consistency from the manufacturer/packager. They obviously don't have a properly working mixing system. If they're not mixing each package separately, then clearly one order will not be the same as the next. 

Anyway, making a liquid concentrate as I described earlier would be what I would do. It can't fix the consistency issue between shipments but at least each shipment will be constant. You'd have to mix your own to get it constant, or find a packager that is doing it properly.

now we just mix the whole 5kgm of powder and make the 25 gallons of nutes all at once. 

surprisingly enough it does stay well dissolved.