Old age pension maybe lowered back to 65!

I really don't think that will happen, because it is not sustainable. The average lifespan is increasing.

IMO Labor and the Coalition would combine to defeat the bill.

The Greens can put forward initiatives like these, such as the recent housing bill. They know they won't have to actually implement the policy, but it does garner them votes from the two major parties from people who are too stupid to see it's political cynicism.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Meanwhile on the other side of the world in a country with a long history of authoritarian centralism & welfarism-gone-mad, the French are rioting in the streets because the government wants to raise the retirement age from 62 to 64.

Edited by mfd101
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Unfortunately Aussies are yes" men" nowadays and won't fight back !

You would never see Aussies fight like the French or Irish.

We are "yes sir ! How high you want me to jump sir ?

This Gen is weak !!!

Mmmm, well when it comes to retirement age it could just be that the Aussies still know how to count and the French don't.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Zero chance the bill will pass.

And they have to keep tradesmen working until they die because there is no one to replace them.

They need to keep people earning an income, thus paying tax, basically, keeping the slaves for a couple of extra years. 

Immigration has always been a touchy subject, but basically, Australia needs immigrants, and a lot of them, it's as simple as that, but not a great election policy. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Unless you have a trade or profession you have little chance of being employed at 65 

Who will employ you 

You can have a trade or a profession, but the only person that will employ you is yourself, so that's the whole sole trader / company business set up.  Then, there's probably some more "certification" or "tickets" needed to get back into the game.  More courses, more money, more BS. 

No one is going to employ anyone over 60.  Sure, you'll get an interview to make the company look like they are equal opportunity employers, but over 60's will not be getting the job. 

Think about it.  Why would they, especially for a guy who's been living in Thailand for several years? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

They need to keep people earning an income, thus paying tax, basically, keeping the slaves for a couple of extra years. 

Immigration has always been a touchy subject, but basically, Australia needs immigrants, and a lot of them, it's as simple as that, but not a great election policy. 

The immigraton floodgates are going to be cranked wide open in the coming years.  But because of the merit based immigration policy it will only the rich that move to Australia...and they pay minimal taxes.  The middle class in Australia will dissappear entirely.

Australia will be the next Argentina....and those relying upon the Australia OAP to live off need to start working on a defensible plan B right now.

The RBA is broke also.  It has no foreign reserves whatsoever.  So the next black swan event that comes along the AUD will be in absolute freefall.

An ex housing commission house in Mt Druitt is not worth a million dollars.  Therein lies the root of most of Australia's problems.

Edited by Adumbration

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Unless you have a trade or profession you have little chance of being employed at 65 

Who will employ you 

Employment is easy for fake account members.  They just make up their new employment.  Night shift security guard, hospital wardsman....there are just so many opportunities.

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

The immigraton floodgates are going to be cranked wide open in the coming years.  But because of the merit based immigration policy it will only the rich that move to Australia...and they pay minimal taxes.  The middle class in Australia will dissappear entirely.

Australia will be the next Argentina....and those relying upon the Australia OAP to live off need to start working on a defensible plan B right now.

The RBA is broke also.  It has no foreign reserves whatsoever.  So the next black swan event that comes along the AUD will be in absolute freefall.

An ex housing commission house in Mt Druitt is not worth a million dollars.  Therein lies the root of most of Australia's problems.

I agree with everything you have said. 

Australia used to ride on the sheep's back, now it rides on a property market ponzi scheme, and the only way to keep it going is to import wealthy migrants, because housing is now out of reach for many young Australians. 

Coincidentally, this was in today's news.  Like I said, they have to keep the slaves working for longer. 

https://www.9news.com.au/national/australia-employment-white-paper-aged-care-pension-changes/a00d9e59-ccff-4dd3-8d05-85b0a2fa3380

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2023 at 10:16 AM, georgegeorgia said:

BUT......good news...next month the GREENS will introduce a private members bill to lower that back to 65 !

Fat chance of that happening as there are currently about 1.5 million people in the age range of 60-64 years of age with 16.9% already over 65 years of age.

Say they did lower it to 65, and those aged 60-64 were coming to pension age, that would mean that they would have to fork out $26,000 per single person when they reach 65, now do the math on that, not including married couples.

From my calculations if we assume 375,000 of them came onto the pension per year, that comes to 10 billion $'s a year or $40 billion in 4 years.

Like I said, fat chance that is going to happen because the Social Security System is already forking out 20% of the Commonwealth Budget, i.e. $135 Billion in 2022-2023 and the government isn't just going to fork out $10 billion more a year just for votes, fat chance, but I'm in if they do, but....... ????

Dont Hold Your Breath GIFs | Tenor

On 9/26/2023 at 4:27 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Fat chance of that happening as there are currently about 1.5 million people in the age range of 60-64 years of age with 16.9% already over 65 years of age.

Say they did lower it to 65, and those aged 60-64 were coming to pension age, that would mean that they would have to fork out $26,000 per single person when they reach 65, now do the math on that, not including married couples.

From my calculations if we assume 375,000 of them came onto the pension per year, that comes to 10 billion $'s a year or $40 billion in 4 years.

Like I said, fat chance that is going to happen because the Social Security System is already forking out 20% of the Commonwealth Budget, i.e. $135 Billion in 2022-2023 and the government isn't just going to fork out $10 billion more a year just for votes, fat chance, but I'm in if they do, but....... ????

Dont Hold Your Breath GIFs | Tenor

You are missing the point completely.  It's all about "The Voice."  Nothing else matters.  :cheesy:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...