Thailand braces for liquor industry disruption under Move Forward

webfact

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Only history will reveal how regressive, draconian, repressive, incapable, and backward thinking Prayuth was. And in addition, he had nothing in the way of leadership qualities. He was a very poor choice. In 9 years he moved the nation backwards by 20 years. 

566723.jpg

no in the 9 years he did not do any progress...and what he did was the same all bad governments worldwide did.

He was neither good, nor that bad.

History will forget him...in 2 years he'll be as much know as Samak is known by young people.....That is also the place in history he deserves....to be forgotten.

Many of the bad things he did, were started at some previous (Thaksin) government and he just continued to make it worse....

And I pretty much worry than in 2 years we'll miss him as the new government will be as bad as him but not as lazy as him.....accelerate all the bad things.

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I'm with you on that nothing special about Beer Lao in my opinion either, no different to any other mass produced beer, as far I am concerned, although admittedly I'm no connoisseur and don't really drink for the taste, I will admit however that even I find "Archer" and "cheers" almost undrinkable

I definitely prefer chang to Leo, and whilst I have no real issues with Singha I haven't actually drunk it for years nobody I know drinks it either

I remember the 6.4% chang in the brown bottles, some of which were embossed with the word Carlsberg   just above the chang label. ( what happened to carlsberg it sort of disappeared)  It was a bit touch and go, sometimes foul and sometimes not too bad but a headache was nearly always guaranteed for me.

I much prefer the newer brew in the green bottles, which I think was around the time the alcohol content was reduced and would rather drink that, than the very very similar but overpriced Heineken

Does anybody remember the brew called "black tiger" ( no relation to the modern day "Tiger" as far as I am aware, ) and not unlike the dark Beer Lao.  it was around about 25 years ago at the same time as "Black cat" whiskey but has long since disappeared. A pity as I used to quite like it

I remember the 6.4% Chang in green bottles but I could be wrong. I didn't realize the change when it happened but only realized it at some point later on. I am a Singha drinker...so there you go! Carsberg is around, still. And what's the German sounding one, begins with an "F" I think? Kind of skunky tasting. That's it, Federbrau. I can't drink Leo, makes me feel ill immediately, for some reason. Though I can drink Chang (sweeter than Singha).

7 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I remember the 6.4% Chang in green bottles but I could be wrong. I didn't realize the change when it happened but only realized it at some point later on. I am a Singha drinker...so there you go! Carsberg is around, still. And what's the German sounding one, begins with an "F" I think? Kind of skunky tasting. That's it, Federbrau. I can't drink Leo, makes me feel ill immediately, for some reason. Though I can drink Chang (sweeter than Singha).

Carlsberg did completely disappear at one time but it seems to have returned in a few places

I'd forgotten about Federbrau  not a bad beer in my opinion

Edited by Bday Prang

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

Thais don't drink it because they can't afford 500-1000 a bottle. If the tax was normal then a good wine might be 3-400 and they could sell much more.

I was living here in Bangkok several years ago when wine 'arrived' and became available generally. Restaurants began selling wine by the glass and promoting it with their food. Prices were reasonable. It wasn't the Hi-So filling those restaurant seats but common Thais, a lot of them women. Just as was occurring in other parts of the world.  At the time, as elsewhere, people were encouraged to drink wine with food.  Then came the Thai BS about wine as a hi-so product, for foreigners with deep pockets and then the outrageous duties which put it out of reach of most Thais - who were really going for it.  Stupid, corrupt, and served only the 2 big domestic, connected  Thai wine companies.  Time passed and it ever got corrected and we suffer to this day paying outrageous prices for a bottle of wine or a glass of wine at a restaurant.

Edited by LatPhrao

22 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Yeah,  it'd be fantastic to have some affordable locally made craft beers 

Last one I had at a cafe in rural Samut Prakan, an 8% IPA was 500 baht a litre, might have even been a pint measure. Too expensive ????

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Chang is now 4..8 % a girlie drink, what happened to kloster beer ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Carlsberg did completely disappear at one time but it seems to have returned in a few places

I'd forgotten about Federbrau  not a bad beer in my opinion

Carlsberg had some disput with the company that produced it in Thailand.

I liked it, would love to see it come back. Federbraeu I tried only once and it was bad....but maybe that bottle was in the sun before.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I have been drinking wine in Thailand for over 20years!

Bravo! Certainly wine has been in Thailand for some time.   The comment 'wine arrived in Thailand' was about the period when wine became popular here among Thais  and a culture of wine drinking, appreciation, pairing with food in restaurants took hold.  In the same way that it did in other parts of the world.  Starting as it did in California, the US, Hong Kong, China for example.

• Confused 1

On 6/30/2023 at 4:26 PM, h90 said:

Carlsberg had some disput with the company that produced it in Thailand.

I liked it, would love to see it come back. Federbraeu I tried only once and it was bad....but maybe that bottle was in the sun before.

If memory serves, Carlsberg set up a brewery and bottling plant in Thailand, trained up brewers and we're all set to go, when in some sort of quasi-legal sting operation they were forced to hand it over, at way under the market rate, to Mr Chang, who promptly got rid of all the Carlsberg staff. For the first couple of years, until the Thai brewery techs settled in, Chang was very hit or miss, it's alcohol content varying from batch to batch. They took over both the brewery and bottling plant, which is why many of the bottles for some considerable time had the Carlsberg motif.

It probably goes some way towards explaining why Western brewers, distillers or wine makers are reluctant to get involved in Thailand.