I want to buy s&p 500 stock in thailand...where?

42 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i am european and I bought a little for few hundred on etoro

but the next day i lost 150 usd immediately...i thought i was buying a real stock like tesla, apple, but i bought 

CFD sp500  and I was shocked....I dont really understand what I bought because the SP500 did not go down for 33% in few days....

but today I am in a plus of 16%.... I dont understand what I bought and why my profit fluctuates so fast...lol

Please don't buy financial products that you don't even know what they are. CFDs are banned in the US. They are not real stocks but financial contracts to bet on price movements and often allow for leverage (stay the hell away from that). eToro probably offered you some low payment like 5% or 10% which gives you a 20x or 10x leverage. So if the SP500 then moves 1.5% it could move 30% in your position. You hopefully can see how that might quickly wipe out your position.

• Like 1

I get the feeling you have very little investing experience. Best thing I ever did for myself was study investing by just doing a fair amount of reading about personal finance and investment. Learning about the different investment vehicles IE.. Bonds, Stocks, Mutual Funds, ETF

s, commodities, REITs etc.. is very important in my view...

If you are not so inclined then just seek a good fee only financial planner to take care of it..

Just don't run with the idea of buying the S&P 500 index... if you have a next egg and want to draw on it for retirement then it would be a PRETTY BAD IDEA to put all your money into an S&P 500 ETF or Mutual Fund... this is because the S&P 500 basket of stocks is susceptible to market swings at large..

For most people at retirement age the would want a balanced investment portolio adjusted according to their risk tolerance.. perhaps a 60% Bonds 40% Equities portoflio... etc etc..

STUDY PERSONAL FINANCE OR PERHAPS BETTER YET GET A FEE ONLY FINANCIAL PLANNER IN YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN>

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Please don't buy financial products that you don't even know what they are. CFDs are banned in the US. They are not real stocks but financial contracts to bet on price movements and often allow for leverage (stay the hell away from that). eToro probably offered you some low payment like 5% or 10% which gives you a 20x or 10x leverage. So if the SP500 then moves 1.5% it could move 30% in your position. You hopefully can see how that might quickly wipe out your position.

this is what i bought....first few days i was down to 300 usd now i am more than what i put in

i really dont understand what I bought and I guess I am betting on the fluctuation of the price? can you read anything from this picture? I thought I was buying 10 % of te sp500 I did not know you cant buy it like other stocks lol 

image.png.af22667e97cb3285cb4c855943af82ae.png

12 hours ago, parafareno said:

this is what i bought....first few days i was down to 300 usd now i am more than what i put in

i really dont understand what I bought and I guess I am betting on the fluctuation of the price? can you read anything from this picture? I thought I was buying 10 % of te sp500 I did not know you cant buy it like other stocks lol 

image.png.af22667e97cb3285cb4c855943af82ae.png

That SPX500 on eToro is a CFD which tracks the S&P500 index. So it'll follow it roughly, it will underperform. Look at the SPY ETF for example, in the 1 Year timeframe it gained 17.82% while the SPX500 on eToro is up 16.22%. And then there are the fees of course. If you saw a 10% then that probably means they only wanted 10% of the value as a payment which is just a roundabout way to say there is a 10x leverage. If the SPX500 moves 1% your position moves effectively 10%. If the S&P500 moves 10% down you are wiped out and lose all your money. Probably even before that because there are usually safety buffers. Suffice to say this is very dangerous and highly unrecommended for anyone new to investing. I've never used eToro and they look to me as a more shifty player.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2023 at 6:31 AM, eisfeld said:

Terrible advice for anyone asking on AseanNow about stocks.

Buy calls on the S&P right now would be a very bad idea. It may go up a little but the risk to reward ratio is astronomical right now. QQQ is way above the weekly bollinger band and a standard deviation over the 200 weekly moving averages. I have puts on the usual suspects.

18 hours ago, parafareno said:

i am european and I bought a little for few hundred on etoro

but the next day i lost 150 usd immediately...i thought i was buying a real stock like tesla, apple, but i bought 

CFD sp500  and I was shocked....I dont really understand what I bought because the SP500 did not go down for 33% in few days....

but today I am in a plus of 16%.... I dont understand what I bought and why my profit fluctuates so fast...lol

You certainly bought a leveraged product with etoro. Means your profit/loss is e.g. 5 or 10 times higher/lower than the real market.

Unfortunately as a EU citizen you can not buy SPY or QQQ (stupid EU regulations) but there are other ETFs replicating the SP500 index approved by the EU. I also would go for IB or Schwab, with IB you can keep your money in European currency...

tasty trade is another US broker currently offering 500$ top up if you fund your account with a minimum of 25,000 us$. Currently thinking of opening a 2nd account with them... Now I am with IB Pro, pay about 25 cents for a limit order with 100 stock, which is quite good given that there interest on margin is the best in the industry...

9 hours ago, zappalot said:

You certainly bought a leveraged product with etoro. Means your profit/loss is e.g. 5 or 10 times higher/lower than the real market.

Unfortunately as a EU citizen you can not buy SPY or QQQ (stupid EU regulations) but there are other ETFs replicating the SP500 index approved by the EU. I also would go for IB or Schwab, with IB you can keep your money in European currency...

tasty trade is another US broker currently offering 500$ top up if you fund your account with a minimum of 25,000 us$. Currently thinking of opening a 2nd account with them... Now I am with IB Pro, pay about 25 cents for a limit order with 100 stock, which is quite good given that there interest on margin is the best in the industry...

so should i sell my sp500 right now....when it drops...i will loose all 450 usd....but when it grows i will ger profit again? 

How does it work...it is is 5 - 10 times higher it is ok....but if I loose everything and then the index grows if I am still 0 that is bad.....

so to explain in more simple termns

if index falls for 5 % ane I am wiped out is the permanent wipeout or I can get my money back if it gains 5 % again?

I bought tesla and apple before and it was easy to track and understand it...this sp500 index is very confusing for me....

also crypto is easy to understand

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

so should i sell my sp500 right now....when it drops...i will loose all 450 usd....but when it grows i will ger profit again? 

Assuming your posts are genuine and not just trolling, check yourself into a trading and investing course before you lose anymore. At least then you will know what you are doing before you buy anything else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, parafareno said:

How does it work...it is is 5 - 10 times higher it is ok....but if I loose everything and then the index grows if I am still 0 that is bad.....

so to explain in more simple termns

if index falls for 5 % ane I am wiped out is the permanent wipeout or I can get my money back if it gains 5 % again?

I bought tesla and apple before and it was easy to track and understand it...this sp500 index is very confusing for me....

also crypto is easy to understand

If you get to $0 then you are done. Probably before that because there are usually minimum requirements on margin trading and that's what it is... CFDs on margin. What that means is that you borrowed money from eToro. If you put $100 in an SPX500 with a 5% payment it means you bought $2000 of that contract with eToro lending you $1900. If the SPX500 (it's not the S&P500) goes down 5% to $1900 your $100 will be forfeit. eToro will take it because they can't let you go into a negative. Normally a broker wont let you go to $0 exactly and will force sell it for you before that because things can move fast and prices are not 100% guaranteed to hit what a seller asks for. That's called liquidation. When you are liquidated both your money is gone and the asset is gone. If the SPX500 after that were to gain again it wont mean anything to you because you don't have an open position anymore. And that's the difference to just buying a stock. When you buy stock in an S&P500 ETF like SPY without margin you wont get liquidated because you didn't borrow money and the broker doesn't have any risk. In a crisis you can just wait until it recovers. It might take a few years but unless the US economy permanently goes to sh*t then it will eventually recover. Of course a stock of a specific company can lose money permanently. But the S&P500 as an index of the biggest companies is as safe as possible when it comes to stocks. As always though lower risk = lower reward and vice versa.

On 7/2/2023 at 8:54 AM, eisfeld said:

If you get to $0 then you are done. Probably before that because there are usually minimum requirements on margin trading and that's what it is... CFDs on margin. What that means is that you borrowed money from eToro. If you put $100 in an SPX500 with a 5% payment it means you bought $2000 of that contract with eToro lending you $1900. If the SPX500 (it's not the S&P500) goes down 5% to $1900 your $100 will be forfeit. eToro will take it because they can't let you go into a negative. Normally a broker wont let you go to $0 exactly and will force sell it for you before that because things can move fast and prices are not 100% guaranteed to hit what a seller asks for. That's called liquidation. When you are liquidated both your money is gone and the asset is gone. If the SPX500 after that were to gain again it wont mean anything to you because you don't have an open position anymore. And that's the difference to just buying a stock. When you buy stock in an S&P500 ETF like SPY without margin you wont get liquidated because you didn't borrow money and the broker doesn't have any risk. In a crisis you can just wait until it recovers. It might take a few years but unless the US economy permanently goes to sh*t then it will eventually recover. Of course a stock of a specific company can lose money permanently. But the S&P500 as an index of the biggest companies is as safe as possible when it comes to stocks. As always though lower risk = lower reward and vice versa.

ok so what i wanted to buy is ETF and not CFD..... i invested 410 it went to 300 next 2 days and now it is over 500....i better withdraw. so if i seel it now i get all the profit or not? Is there some trick for selling CFD?

Edited by parafareno

5 hours ago, parafareno said:

ok so what i wanted to buy is ETF and not CFD..... i invested 410 it went to 300 next 2 days and now it is over 500....i better withdraw. so if i seel it now i get all the profit or not? Is there some trick for selling CFD?

If you sell while it's at $500 then you got to keep $90 profit and that's the end of the story. No tricks.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:19 AM, Dogmatix said:

If you want to trade onshore in Thailand using Thai baht, you may open an international trading account at any Thai securities company and trade international markets online directly. All offer the US market and major Asian markets like HK and Singapore.  Of course you pay a double commission because they have to put the orders through foreign brokers but the online commissions are still quite reasonable. 

So you can buy SPY in NY or any S&P 500 stocks through a Thai brokerage account, if you wish to do it. Since you have a bank account with SCB, you can ask them to introduce you to SCB Securities. 

As he says!

This is a clear and practical  answer to the question raised by the OP.

What the OP wants to invest in is up to him, he didnt ask for advice regarding his potential investment, he simply wanted to know if he could make such an investment whilst resident in Thailand.

38 minutes ago, wordchild said:

As he says!

This is a clear and practical  answer to the question raised by the OP.

What the OP wants to invest in is up to him, he didnt ask for advice regarding his potential investment, he simply wanted to know if he could make such an investment whilst resident in Thailand.

However, having said the above, whilst what the OP  wants to do is perfectly possible in Thailand (structured as an ETF or similar) the fact that he says he is on a tourist visa may make account opening more difficult.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 10:42 AM, eisfeld said:

If you sell while it's at $500 then you got to keep $90 profit and that's the end of the story. No tricks.

for some reason it ended on its own and i have 500 usd now....why did it end? Is there a limit how much you can earn?

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

for some reason it ended on its own and i have 500 usd now....why did it end? Is there a limit how much you can earn?

Since they are CFDs they can stipulate any rule they want. They can put a limit on the upside and they can put a time limit on the contract. I have not examined the rules of eToro in detail so better just ask eToro why your position was closed. If they are legit they should have sent you some kind of notification about the event or at least show some history inside the account.

20 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Since they are CFDs they can stipulate any rule they want. They can put a limit on the upside and they can put a time limit on the contract. I have not examined the rules of eToro in detail so better just ask eToro why your position was closed. If they are legit they should have sent you some kind of notification about the event or at least show some history inside the account.

i am checking my trade now and i did open 20 x leverage sp500 cfd  and i earned 100 usd in few days....  that was very risky.....  so not sure yet why they closed it