I want to buy s&p 500 stock in thailand...where?

19 minutes ago, tgw said:

S&P 500 is an index.

so do you want to buy an index replicating fund ?

yep 

but it is not possible to buy it like tesla or apple stock? I want to put 1/3 of my savings in s&p 500 index

Edited by parafareno

4 minutes ago, parafareno said:

yep 

but it is not possible to buy it like tesla or apple stock? I want to put 1/3 of my savings in s&p 500 index

SCB Bank should have that in their products - why don't you ask them ?

I have used Schwab for many years. And there are many products [ETF's] that track the markets... You can check their performance through the years and make your own choice.

I wanted to find something here for my niece, a Thai person... and Kasikorn does have a service that offers investing in overseas... but she did not meet the qualification of being 21... 

Have been in Thailand many years.  I have an account with Fidelity and trade via the net on a frequent basis.  They also facilitate money transfers to Thailand.  A quick phone call and my money usually arrives in 2 days with no fee by Fidelity.  There is also Vanguard with similar services.  If you are from the USA should be very easy to get set up with either service.  

1 hour ago, dlclark97 said:

Have been in Thailand many years.  I have an account with Fidelity and trade via the net on a frequent basis.  They also facilitate money transfers to Thailand.  A quick phone call and my money usually arrives in 2 days with no fee by Fidelity.  There is also Vanguard with similar services.  If you are from the USA should be very easy to get set up with either service.  

I trade with Fidelity here too but it's a no no according to their regs.  They seem to run things a little loose and it benefits them and investors but that window could be closed anytime.  Make sure you flip on a VPN before doing anything with them or you are risking a lockout. Also be careful what you reveal to them about your location in any communication.  Happened to me with Schwab. I had to show up at a US office with my passport to get it taken off.   Vanguard is a security nightmare which I why I moved all my holdings from them to Fidelity.  If you switch phones you may find the Fidelity app is gone from app and play stores like I did.  I just bookmarked the homepage and still get through.  You mentioned transferring money and I don't doubt you but sending money and trading are not the same thing. I'm actually going to look into.  Thanks for the tip. 

https://www.fidelity.com/accounts/services/investors_outside_US_faq.shtml

• Like 1

I mistakenly walked into one of SCB's investment only branches about a year ago. While I was in there I asked about buying stocks and she just said no can not lol.

I have a feeling it can be done however anytime I try to open anything stock related in the app it always hits a brick wall and says "Thai Nationality" only. Other times it says to visit a branch.

Probably for the better anyway as the documentation would no doubt all be in Thai and given that some banks try to fleece you with insurance every chance they get I am not sure they have the integrity to be managing my investments. Especially considering you can just invest in your home country anyway.

I will say though I have never had much of an issue with SCB compared to Bangkok or Kasikorn banks. Normally they are pretty good.

8 hours ago, Thailand J said:

S&P 500 index is up 15% YTD, up 61% in last 5 years and 226% in last 10 years.  Last year was nerve wrecking even for me as an experienced  long term investor.

An experienced long term investor would know, as I do, that you'll have years when it's up and years when it's down. It's par for the course. If you found last year nerve wracking, wait until a real downturn happens.

The S&P 500 was around $200 when I purchased my first index fund. Averaging over 10% return excluding dividends over the last 40 years. 

• Like 2

I suggest you go to UOB Kay Hian Securities Thailand PCL.  They're located in the Sindhorn Tower Building - Office / Office 130-132 Wireless Road, Lumpini Subdistrict , Pathum Wan District, Bangkok. I think that's across the street from the US Embassy.
UOB Kay Hian Securities (Thailand) Public Company Limited operates a securities business. The Company is licensed to conduct securities brokerage, securities trading, investment advisory, and securities underwriting in many stock exchanges worldwide. UOB Kay is also licensed to provide financial advisory and unit trusts agency.

I wish I'd known about them in 1998, but didn't until 2010. It's very easy to set up an account.

• Like 1

You open an account with a stock brokerage such as Charles  Schwab, (I am very happy with them) you fund the account by transferring funds from your bank . You do your research on the type of investment vehicle you prefer, and you buy it.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The gentleman suggesting 'going short' is possibly an experienced trader who has a specific view on how markets will respond to the coming recession (expected by many).  This is not sensible for a regular investor with a long term view.

For the OP, whether it makes sense to place 33% into an equity index fund depends on circumstances, need for cash, age, risk profile, and what other assets are held.

In general, the evidence says that for most investors, holding a small number of equity and bond index trackers will give best long run returns at lowest cost.  Actively managed funds rarely do better over any meaningful timescale.  (This is no longer contentious - the research is overwhelming.)

I personally have a rather cautious view of markets in the next year or so.  Almost all indicators used by economists (including Conference Board LEI which has been 100% reliable in the past) suggest a recession nearby.

For cautious investors, or those retired or approaching retirement, it's very well worth considering an allocation to fixed-income investments that deliver reliable returns but are not correlated to markets.  There are some good options in this field for those resident in Thailand.

If you want to trade onshore in Thailand using Thai baht, you may open an international trading account at any Thai securities company and trade international markets online directly. All offer the US market and major Asian markets like HK and Singapore.  Of course you pay a double commission because they have to put the orders through foreign brokers but the online commissions are still quite reasonable. 

So you can buy SPY in NY or any S&P 500 stocks through a Thai brokerage account, if you wish to do it. Since you have a bank account with SCB, you can ask them to introduce you to SCB Securities. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, falang07 said:

only until it proves to be correct

That's like saying gambling is only a bad idea until you win.

The OP is obviously new to stocks. Buying a SP500 ETF is as safe as it can get when it comes to investing into stocks. Shorting on the other hand is an advanced vehicle that carries a very high risk (and limited upside to boot) which over a long time frame is nearly guaranteed to lose. Most serious brokerages will either warn you or flat out refuse to let you sell short if you can't show proper training or experience.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, parafareno said:

yep 

You can buy Tesla, Apple and the S&P 500 ETF (SPY), NASDAQ ETF (QQQ) and many other US stocks through a Thai brokerage international account. I have one, although I don't use it as I have accounts in the US and HK.

If you are not a US citizen and not a US resident and you trade with a US based brokerage firm such as IB or Schwab, your capital gain from US stocks is not taxable by the US government and not Thai government if you do not report the income as transferred into Thailand the same year.

If you trade with a Thai broker, you better ask about the taxes on dividends and capital gains.

Schwab and IB offer excellent services at low low fees, and their online websites are user friendly. Just about everything can be done online.

• Like 1

i am european and I bought a little for few hundred on etoro

but the next day i lost 150 usd immediately...i thought i was buying a real stock like tesla, apple, but i bought 

CFD sp500  and I was shocked....I dont really understand what I bought because the SP500 did not go down for 33% in few days....

but today I am in a plus of 16%.... I dont understand what I bought and why my profit fluctuates so fast...lol