Divorce and runaway kids

2008bangkok

1 minute ago, kingkenny said:

Semantics and pedantry, either she drops them off or I pick them up, its not a fixed arrangement and depends on various circumstances, its easy for us because she lives within a few km, its not about a long trip to get them. The main fact is I have full custody and she can see them with my permission, that could be for a week, a month, a day, its not a fixed time, however if she turned bandit and decides to keep them (this might help with this wording) then I would act.

I was not talking about you and your situation, I was talking about the OPs situation where the kid goes to his mother's, and the OP expects the mother to kick her kid out. 

What good will come of that? 

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I was not talking about you and your situation, I was talking about the OPs situation where the kid goes to his mother's, and the OP expects the mother to kick her kid out. 

What good will come of that? 

No1, I don't know where she lives and the kids have been told not to tell me but I do know that it's within a mile away and when everything was Ok he would ride up there on his bike, so it's not a problem to send him home,it's actually nearer than his ride to school.

No2. I am really trying to keep my cool as I know from experience of living here a long time the police dealing with Thai v Farang they will try there hardest to side with the Thais.

So trying my hardest to not go down that route.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If the kid's no longer living with you, your VISA extension will be invalid.

Best not to go to the police and admit he's left IMHO.

They'll call immigration, then you'll be gone.

I have thought about that yes and it is a worry.

But I have come to the conclusion that even in this country they would not cancel a visa of a legal guardian based on an unruly teenager running off to his mother's when he gets a trantrum and feels like it.

I'm sure that would be unlawful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

The point is however according to his Ampur papers the child can't leave as he has full custody, the police responsibility will be to handle that, not his visa status bases on the child living with his mum against a legal document that both parties entered into. This is all the more reason to ensure that agreement is kept.

At age 15 he can make his own choices and nobody will enforce any papers.

(OP hasn't declared how close to 15 the boy is)

The VISA extension will have 'defacto' as a get out clause, which the Thais will prefer to enforce on a 'problem' foreigner.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

At age 15 he can make his own choices and nobody will enforce any papers.

(OP hasn't declared how close to 15 the boy is)

The VISA extension will have 'defacto' as a get out clause, which the Thais will prefer to enforce on a 'problem' foreigner.

Actually that is not true at all, when a child is 15 and the parents get divorced the court will take into consideration who he wants to live with and have custody, not decide yourself at 15 who you want to live when guardianship has already been agreed.

The guardianship finsiws at either 18 or 19.

That is my understanding anyway.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If the kid's no longer living with you, your VISA extension will be invalid.

Best not to go to the police and admit he's left IMHO.

They'll call immigration, then you'll be gone.

At age 15 kids in Thailand can effectively choose where they want to live without any parental consent.

Thanks @BritManToo this answers a lot.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

It answers nothing, its useless diatribe.

The child is subject to parental control of the parents until the child is legally determined to be an adult. Adulthood occurs when the child reaches the age of majority which is 20 years old in Thailand or when the child gets married. Until this time, parents have rights and obligations to their child.

In this instance the father has legal custody of the child. 

There was more than 1 point being made in the reply i quoted
and you sadly cherry picked the wrong one.
no need for flooding the thread with large text
i read it first time you posted it.

Edited by onthedarkside
text reformat
  • Confused 1