movie lovers?

5 hours ago, save the frogs said:

no. 

are torrents ethical?

in a world of economic disparity, it arguably is for some folks to use torrents.

is it ethical to freeload off filmmaker's work if you have a certain level of wealth?

especially since netflix is not that expensive? 

You are not wrong, but there is something else about torrenting: I have set up my own media server with Plex, where my downloads are nicely managed. Gives me  a  flexility that  I wouldn't get from Netflix, especially in Thailand where only a fraction of Netflix' catalog can be viewed. Don't tell me my that my media server costs me as  much as ten years of a Netflix subscription,  I know.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

I wish it was 80-90 mins - The wife likes to watch a movie on a Sunday night, we have watched a few things recently - Fast X being one of them, I think John Wick 3 (which I must admit, I like the different fight scenes) every one of them, more than 3 hours! That's almost half a working day!

image.png.c99c2e43b364db267fd623d253a67d19.png

image.png.266614dd87206f78bdbd442e6ffcd154.png

6 hours ago, recom273 said:

more than 3 hours! That's almost half a working day!

Vimeo used to be free, now I think you need to pay.

Theres a lot of short films on there that no one ever heard about. A lot of them are better than hollywood. And they get their point across in 20 minutes or less. 

People should give short films a chance. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bignok said:

Paying money to watch make believe things that have been done 10,000 times before. Good guy fights bad guy, bad guys wins for 80 mins, good guy wins at end.

Yes, but there are other movies that are far more interesting... I am not an action movie guy.. 

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Can we get this conversation off torrents and down to where I can best find movies, not action particularly and I don't mind paying... 

I have a feeling you have posted on this subject before.

Have you an apple device or tv capable of loading Apple TV(+) app? I don’t know if you get movies if you subscribe to the monthly service, but you can certainly rent movie titles for 129B, once “rented” you have 30 days to watch them, but once you start a movie, then it’s 48 hours to finish.

If you have a vpn, then you may be able to subscribe to Hulu, that’s $7 a month, but not available in Thailand, hence the need for a VPN.

Both offer free trials from 1-3 months.

If you get bored of Netflix, there is nothing stopping you from cancelling, and hopping to another service for a while, as suggested, HBOgo, Disney+ - if you have a vpn then you can still access bbc iplayer, usually tv shows but you can find some movies, SBS has some good older movies for free .. https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/movies - if you use a vpn to access a legal but georestricted site, is it still legal?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

Have you an apple device or tv capable of loading Apple TV(+) app? I don’t know if you get movies if you subscribe to the monthly service, but you can certainly rent movie titles for 129B, once “rented” you have 30 days to watch them, but once you start a movie, then it’s 48 hours to finish.

Thanks. Yes, I have an Apple desktop computer w/27 inch screen, so that works for me... I assume they have a very good selection?? And it is easily accessed?? 

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Thanks. Yes, I have an Apple desktop computer w/27 inch screen, so that works for me... I assume they have a very good selection?? And it is easily accessed?? 

Yes, download the iTunes Store on your apple device and you can select and purchase, you can then stream to your tv -  you can install Apple TV app on your android tv or whatever, you don’t necessarily need an Apple TV box connected to your TV.

Edited by recom273

Never have paid - have been torrenting for 15+ years. I've noticed that the number of seeds has dropped dramatically for non-new stuff on thepiratebay etc. The registered user torrent sites are still going strong though. We prefer to watch non-Hollywood. Korean, Japanese, Chinese, as well as French and other European films have the other cultural angles to make things different enough to not be so formulaic and shallow.