Thai Mobile Banking Apps Crash On Payday, Transfers Put Off

webfact

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

True.

We have also determined with our systems the health index of the individual customers via their shopping baskets. Such data records are worth tens of millions. Insurance companies are very keen to get their hands on such consumer records with real names. 

There will be data collected on everything an individual both earns and spends. From medical bills and what medicines they buy, (no more privacy there), to everywhere you go,  

The governments, insurance companies and banks must be rubbing their hands with glee at this. Total control os the populace by controlling their ability to earn or spend if they step out of line.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, daejung said:

I always have problems with Bangkok Bank app when scanning a QR Code everyday between 23:00 and 01:00

I haven't noticed a particular time... 

However, of late I have noticed Bangkok Bank App becoming notably unreliable about half of the time I have attempted to make a QR payment. 

A minor inconvenience, simple enough to switch to another Bank and and use their App.... still quickly than waiting for change in many cases etc....    but really this 'stuff' shouldn't be happening... 

On 7/3/2023 at 6:35 AM, jacko45k said:

Yes, someone in front of me was a bit slow in Big-C, I was ready with my cash!

Do you mean you arrive at the cashier knowing that your shopping will be exactly 1234.45 Baht including discounts and promotions and have all the notes and coins ready? Or that you have 2 notes of 1,000 Baht in your wallet, and wait for the cashier to give you change and of course he cannot break 1,000 so he goes to the colleague at the next lane who holds up another customer to provide the change. And then you happily walk out with 765.55 Baht in your pockets, to add to the other pile of coins you carry around?

The first case is impossible, and the second one is definitely slower than me paying by credit card or prompt pay if the app is ready with the code keyed in as I always do.

Yes it can happen than an online payment is disrupted, maybe once a year, then I produce the cash. It can also happen that you pay in cash only to find out that one of your notes is fake and you don't have any others.

Be happy with your cash, let others be happy with their online payments, there's always a slow person in both scenarios.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/3/2023 at 3:49 PM, daejung said:

I always have problems with Bangkok Bank app when scanning a QR Code everyday between 23:00 and 01:00

Yep, I bet that there are zilllions of Bangkok Bank customers just itching to scan QR codes with the app between these times!

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2023 at 10:12 AM, Kalasin Jo said:

Quite. In the UK the privatised Post Office successfully and with determination prosecuted a large number of subpostmasters/ mistresses for thefts based on a computer system called Horizon. Experts said the system could not be wrong. But it was and prosecutions continued even when the PO management knew  but covered this up. Many lives ruined, some were imprisoned, reputations trashed, some suicides too. Eventually, in some cases years later, thanks to the hard work of defence lawyers against much resistance from the PO the computing error was revealed  and convictions overturned. The scandal continues with a Public Inquiry. Latest is that PO executives awarded themselves bonuses for " complying" with that Inquiry whilst the compensation to the victims is very slow and riddled with attempts to minimise the amounts paid and attempts to stop the victims from talking about it

I strongly suspect that the face-saving tactics which most of us have experienced in Thailand would probably pale into insignificance when compared to the outrageous and blinkered "in-denial" approach adopted by PO hierarchy for ages in that particular instance until the truth finally came out of the woodwork.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 6:44 AM, Brian Gregory said:

Just about everything with Thai Banks is dreadful.    Very poor Customer Service generally; long queues, too much Paperwork for every little detail, high charges for Cards etc whilst reducing the number of small branches available around the Country.   Can't expect anything better from Apps or Online Services !

Whereas banks back in your home country are, on the other hand, models of 1,000,000% perfection, right?

On 7/3/2023 at 4:05 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Cash works, always. Every single time. It doesn't need an app, a phone, a secure transfer system prone to outages. But 'progress' moves us ever closer to a system prone to problems and people mentioned above who find they can't pay their restaurant bill - great image at a business lunch or dinner.

And any system can be hacked. How many times have we seen a business or organisation claim their system is secure, until they find it isn't.

Trouble with cash is that you more often than not need that particular scourge of the banking world worldwide (and not just in Thailand) known as the ATM machine to lay your hands on any of the stuff!

Edited by OJAS

to be fair to the Thai banking system, how many western country let you transfer directly between individual bank accounts with just mobile no or qr codes without the need for third party company or apps? and for the cost of free?

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, digbeth said:

to be fair to the Thai banking system, how many western country let you transfer directly between individual bank accounts with just mobile no or qr codes without the need for third party company or apps? and for the cost of free?

Oops.  Misread the quote.  My response deleted!

Edited by scottiejohn