Why are Filipinos/Filipinas so friendly?

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yep, they're very friendly, I used to go there 3-4x a year.

After few 2 weeks trips the lady at immigration said I should stay longer (unlike Thai 'you come too much'). If I hadn't already had a relationship going in Thailand, I would have stayed.

Even the guys are friendly!

And everyone speaks English.

No racist slurs either, they all call you 'boss' or 'sir'.

Boss is offensive

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

They are more Western in their mindset. The colonial occupation by Spain, which was largely managed by Mexico, means the culture is more Western leaning. Which makes them more open to the outside world and more curious. Qualities which are sorely lacking here. 

I find it rare for Thai men to have much interest at all, in really getting to know us. They seem to be lacking curiosity of the outside world, to a remarkable degree. 

If the outside world was any good you wouldnt be in Thailand though.

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

This is all correct - but you forget to mention the downside: While they are more Western they are less Asian as well. I did not even feel I was in Asia while I was there - exept for the temperatures. So to say it bluntly: Why travel 10K Miles only to have more miserable food than back home (well not exactly I know, at least the beaches are really wonderful ???? Never seen such clear water before.

I like the people. The level of english skills and the women seem to be the big draw for most guys. But random guys in the street, can be a hazard, and that is variable I would want to have to deal with, regularly. 

I consider the PI to be far more of a ghetto experience. But, I am referring to the environment, and I think you are referring to the social aspect. I agree with that. Thais are spectacularly insular, and seem to have little to no curiosity about the outside world. The people in the PI are infinitely more open minded, and far more Western. And the language is a huge plus in the PI. Many speak good english, and I would guess if you were attempting to speak poor Tagalog, the people would try far harder than here, to understand what you are trying to say. Since they are more Westernized, they are likely more creative, linguistically. If you do not have the pronunciation and the tones down perfectly here, the people are completely lost. A total inability to dance around in circles intellectually. And they barely even care to try to understand what you are saying! That is a huge nuisance and annoyance here. 

The PI is a foreign country. Thailand is a distant planet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

If the outside world was any good you wouldnt be in Thailand though.

Very true. Or, if I was wealthy enough, I might only be here 2 months of the year. But, I live very well here on a reasonable income and there is alot of the world outside of Thailand that has some serious issues! I am reasonably content here. And contentment is a spectacularly pleasant state of mind! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I like the people. The level of english skills and the women seem to be the big draw for most guys. But random guys in the street, can be a hazard, and that is variable I would want to have to deal with, regularly. 

I consider the PI to be far more of a ghetto experience. But, I am referring to the environment, and I think you are referring to the social aspect. I agree with that. Thais are spectacularly insular, and seem to have little to no curiosity about the outside world. The people in the PI are infinitely more open minded, and far more Western. And the language is a huge plus in the PI. Many speak good english, and I would guess if you were attempting to speak poor Tagalog, the people would try far harder than here, to understand what you are trying to say. Since they are more Westernized, they are likely more creative, linguistically. If you do not have the pronunciation and the tones down perfectly here, the people are completely lost. A total inability to dance around in circles intellectually. And they barely even care to try to understand what you are saying! That is a huge nuisance and annoyance here. 

The PI is a foreign country. Thailand is a distant planet. 

i agree with everything you have just said. an ex girlfriend once told me that the problem with thai people is that they are too sabai. most always have food on the table and havent faced any real hardship. no wars, never been colonized etc.

perhaps its this that creates a largely lethargic and docile populace. 

many thais dont know what real struggle is and are content with their lot.

Edited by bogs smith
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

i agree with everything you have just said. an ex girlfriend once told me that the problem with thai people is that they are too sabai. most always have food on the table and havent faced any real hardship. no wars, never been colonized etc.

perhaps its this that creates a largely lethargic and docile populace. 

many thais dont know what real struggle is and are content with their lot.

So you don't like Thais because they are happy being Thai while you are unhappy being English/farang and want to go elsewhere.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

So you don't like Thais because they are happy being Thai while you are unhappy being English

English? Me?

ive never eaten bacon n eggs! 

and i have chicken fried rice for breakfast. Im already more thai than you. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

English? Me?

ive never eaten bacon n eggs! 

and i have chicken fried rice for breakfast. Im already more thai than you. 

So you're American. The question is why are you unhappy? Fried rice is more farang than Thai.

19 hours ago, bogs smith said:

just been to the dentist and the receptionist was a filipina.

perfect english, very polite and cordial and stunning to boot.

kinda got me thinking, is this normal? are filipinos all this friendly?

having never been to the philippines myself i dont know..

made a very nice change instead of a thai girl serving me. they always too busy looking at their phone and never smile to a customer.

i wish filipinos worked here more, especially in the customer facing roles. 

they really do a magnificent job!

take note thais and dont forget service with a smile!! ???? 

You met one Filipina and then decided that all Filipinas/Filipinos are friendly? :blink:

Sample size is important, avoid jumping to conclusions, never be gullible.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

You met one Filipina and then decided that all Filipinas/Filipinos are friendly? :blink:

Sample size is important, avoid jumping to conclusions, never be gullible.

All dentists been friendly to me cause I'm paying them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, moogradod said:

I was married to a Philippina before. A total nightmare. And I know the country quite well. The food is terrible and it is dangerous. Much more than in Thailand. However if you ever want to experience a nice beach - there you have it. Go for a holiday. Best Sunsets and Sundowns ever as well. But if you think that Thailand is chaotic you did not have a taste of the Philippines. Beats everything in this regard.

Now I am married since more than 17 years with an emotionally intelligent and super friendly Thai Lady which I know more than 20 years. What a difference !

P.S.: It is impossible to talk about a big group of ethnically equal persons as "friendly" or "not friendly". Everone is different. I know as well Philippinas who are gentle and kind. - like in every country in the world.

I've worked with Piany / Pinot folks many time inluding in their beautiful country.

The one thing that I don't like is that many carry handguns, and it's within the law.

Worst incident I saw with this was visiting a company oil refinery upcountry where 2 violent gangs has formed amongst the operational staff.

The day we went (4 Japanese chemical/oil process engineers, a French engineer and myself arrived we were ushered quickly into a secure room and it was explaine there was a fire fight going on (rifles and handguns), within the refinery compound with rounds bouncing off pipes and process vessels. 

The company had made many efforts to get all weapons off the site but many weapons remained. The local police totally refused to attend. 

It happened at least once or twice a week.

On the day we visited 3 semi-skilled operators received severe injuries and were raken to a nearby hospital for surgery. They all totally recovered.

The Japanese and the French engineers were shocked and horrified and all refused to leave the secure room until time to get on the mini bus to go back to the airport.

But yes apart from the above my interactions with Pinay / Pinoy folks has been friendly, pleasant, sincere, helpful, and productive.

21 hours ago, bogs smith said:

just been to the dentist and the receptionist was a filipina.

perfect english, very polite and cordial and stunning to boot.

location??? I just got a caraway seed caught in my bridgework.......*dabs old spice behind ear*

Over the years working in Thailand, I have worked with Filipina's, and they have been really nice and on occasion very romantic. until.... 2 becomes 3 or more, besides the normal working chit chat. You are out of the circle. You are in essence just a different part of the work team.

• Like 1

I worked with many Filipinas in Saudi and both genders in a London hospital. IMO they are no more friendly than any other race that I have worked with, and I've worked with at least 12 different races.

Of course not everyone in any race is friendly, so only referring to those that were friendly.