Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

How to transfer internal data from one smartphone to another ?

fvw53

On 7/5/2023 at 7:37 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

There is also the seeming storage of data on a phone. 
This is a really really bad idea. Phones should never never be the primary storage. They break, they get lost, they get stolen, they fail.

A phone should only ever be a temporary storage, you should always have your data in a safe storage location.

there are those who backup data and there are those who haven’t lost important data yet.

transfer it via an sd card. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Bank accounts, credit cards, passports, e-mail accounts, ID cards etc are just a random selection of data that I carry that are protected by secure passwords.

I don’t have fear of data loss, I know it will happen eventually. But 1 compromised password will give no access to another account.

The question is not, am I paranoid? The question is, am I paranoid enough?

There are too many real world examples of sensible people being taken to the cleaners. It may never happen to you, if it does it can be anything from a minor inconvenience to a disaster.

My bank accounts are only accessable through my mobile phone. No passwords. My credit cards are physical objects in my wallet, as is my passport.

Who cares about forums or email, no money to be had from them.

You worry pointlessly!

17 hours ago, wmlc said:

Why do you guys even bother? A Tuesday post begging for help and claiming Lazada can sell the same new phone for 30% less. Now Thursday and no hide nor hair of the OP. Typical online keyboard genius ????????????

I don't understand what you mean  :  Forum members warned me to do my homework before buying a cheap version of the Samsung AZ54. After doing so I went to a Samsung shop and let them do the transfer of the data from the old phone. Should I have reported this to the Forum?

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My bank accounts are only accessable through my mobile phone. No passwords. My credit cards are physical objects in my wallet, as is my passport.

Who cares about forums or email, no money to be had from them.

You worry pointlessly!

Your mobile phone should be password protected.

I don’t worry, I am just continuing to practice the data security that I have been observing personally and teaching for years in universities.

As to forums, for people who are not gullible they are low risk but certainly not low risk, just ask the people who have been conned by compromised accounts.

With e-mail you are so wrong it would almost be funny, many accounts have been diverted or taken over by intercepted password resets.

You are absolutely entitled to use whatever password scheme (or none) that you like, if you think I am suggesting that you change, I miscommunicated. I take issue with the recommendation of such an insecure idea. Too many people loose too much by too little security.

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I don’t worry, I am just continuing to practice the data security that I have been observing personally and teaching for years in universities.

Yes, I agree, you are perpetuating the government fear of false security for unimportant data.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, I agree, you are perpetuating the government fear of false security for unimportant data.

Governments have had little influence over my choices, none for the first 40 years of my usage, they have typically been late to the party.

You are welcome to observe different levels of security, this is often how data breaches occur.

_——————————————-

you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink

Edited by sometimewoodworker

22 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Seamless!

Almost every branded phone has there specific application to transfer files between phones.

Amazes me threads like this exist..... obviously people find asking questions on a forum (and getting 20 different answers) is a far better idea than googling what you want.

14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Amazes me threads like this exist..... obviously people find asking questions on a forum (and getting 20 different answers) is a far better idea than googling what you want.

If one day you will be as old me me (I am 80) you may also prefer to get the opinion of experienced Forum members

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 1:28 PM, fvw53 said:

On the old Samsung I have 25 Gb (mostly photos) internal data : how can I transfer them to the new Samsung?

Sit down near your wifi router. 

Take the SIM out of the old phone and stick it in the new one

switch both phones on and with luck Google will do it all for you.

My new Oukitel phone has all my stuff on it from my old Samsung. The new phone asked and I clicked, yes

OR

Go to any phone shop.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fvw53 said:

If one day you will be as old me me (I am 80) you may also prefer to get the opinion of experienced Forum members

To be honest I do not put much salt into the dribble that comes from many members, Jack of all trades and master of none come to mind.

Best to seek out the manufacturers solution first.... is usually quicker, accurate and without nonsense.

Edited by Ralf001