In Total, 64 Deaths in 4 Months From Phuket Road Accidents

webfact

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Impossible to know unless you were there. Defensive driving means you allow for idiots and move over when danger appears.

What makes you think I was not there to witness any of them? What makes you think defensive driving would have stopped a death when the driver is stuck in a traffic jam and is then hit from behind, smashed into from a nut that was going to fast to stop? Yes I have been there and so unfortunately has my daughter.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

What makes you think I was not there to witness any of them? What makes you think defensive driving would have stopped a death when the driver is stuck in a traffic jam and is then hit from behind, smashed into from a nut that was going to fast to stop? Yes I have been there and so unfortunately has my daughter.

What makes you think you know everything about every crash? 

You talked about 4 crashes. You saw 1.

You do know that they are also reported in local news and through personal friends. I have also attended 4 funerals for those who died by the way.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

You do know that they are also reported in local news and through personal friends. I have also attended 4 funerals for those who died by the way.

A friend of mine died in a crash too. Media reports are not accurate descriptions of crashes though. Sometimes crashes can be avoided, sometimes not.

Example, blind corner travel 1kph under limit crash. Travel 10kph under no crash. This happened to me in Loei. I avoided a crash by going extra slow to allow for idiots. One such idiot nearly crashed into me but didnt cause of my speed. 

When raining same sort of thing.

A friend of mine died in a crash too. Media reports are not accurate descriptions of crashes though. Sometimes crashes can be avoided, sometimes not.

Example, blind corner travel 1kph under limit crash. Travel 10kph under no crash. This happened to me in Loei. I avoided a crash by going extra slow to allow for idiots. One such idiot nearly crashed into me but didnt cause of my speed. 

When raining same sort of thing.

Did your friend die in Phuket? Do you have much experience of driving in Phuket?

Here's another great friend I had in Phuket, who I worked with and who died and yes he had a helmet on, my family was at his house the day before.

Scots DJ Paul Norris killed in Thailand crash

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-25712331

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Did your friend die in Phuket? Do you have much experience of driving in Phuket?

Here's another great friend I had in Phuket, who I worked with and who died and yes he had a helmet on, my family was at his house the day before.

Scots DJ Paul Norris killed in Thailand crash

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-25712331

Ridden motorbikes in Phuket. Didn't find it that bad. The roads are ok. The best way to avoid a crash is hang left and go slow.

Just now, bignok said:

Ridden motorbikes in Phuket. Didn't find it that bad. The roads are ok. The best way to avoid a crash is hang left and go slow.

Ridden motorbikes in Phuket. Didn't find it that bad. The roads are ok.

I disagree as does the topic of this thread

Ridden motorbikes in Phuket. Didn't find it that bad. The roads are ok.

I disagree as does the topic of this thread

No worse than Chiang Mai. Samui is more dangerous. Koh Chang has worse roads but less traffic.

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

Your first link shows deaths over Songkran with Bangkok, Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanuloke have the highest death toll, at three each.

Your second link to a topic is not cited and an opinion piece with no supporting links. So again what statistics are you claiming for this post?

17 minutes ago, bignok said:

No worse than Chiang Mai. Samui is more dangerous. Koh Chang has worse roads but less traffic.

Your first link shows deaths over Songkran with Bangkok, Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanuloke have the highest death toll, at three each.

Your second link to a topic is not cited and an opinion piece with no supporting links. So again what statistics are you claiming for this post?

Why are you being so petty? 

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

I expressed my opinion. I didnt make specific claims at all.

Anyway you are wrong.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Road-safety-situation-in-Chiang-Mai-Thailand-Source-Thairsc-2019_fig1_342393850

These are specific claims

34 minutes ago, bignok said:

Your new link and new claim that I am wrong also fails to address the statistics to prove those claims, did you even read it. Its regarding tourists only, this topic is about all road deaths in Phuket.

"The sample size of this study comprised of 400 foreign tourists from Chiang Mai, Thailand with accidentally sampling. It was conducted through face to face interview survey of foreign tourists with a total population of 2,902,139 persons in 2016"

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

These are specific claims

Your new link and new claim that I am wrong also fails to address the statistics to prove those claims, did you even read it. Its regarding tourists only, this topic is about all road deaths in Phuket.

"The sample size of this study comprised of 400 foreign tourists from Chiang Mai, Thailand with accidentally sampling. It was conducted through face to face interview survey of foreign tourists with a total population of 2,902,139 persons in 2016"

General comments based on my experiences. Goodbye.

That's good, I never claimed Phuket was the worst in Thailand. I was responding to your claims and links.

The link confirms my opinion. Phuket roads arent that bad. I rode a bike from beach to beach. No issues for me.

55 minutes ago, bignok said:

The link confirms my opinion. Phuket roads arent that bad. I rode a bike from beach to beach. No issues for me.

That's where we differ, my opinion is based on having lived in Phuket for 17 or 18 years and confirmed by the topic we are debating in.

In Total, 64 Deaths in 4 Months From Phuket Road Accidents

So I will leave it there

On 7/4/2023 at 11:57 PM, hotchilli said:

From the link:

“Most deaths from road accidents were from motorbikes with drivers or passengers not wearing helmets. Some of them were foreign tourists who rented motorbikes. We are trying to urge road users to wear crash helmets and seat belts, not to exceed the speed limits, not to drink and drive, and slow down or stop for pedestrians on cross walks in order to decrease road accidents and road deaths.” Mr. Arnuparp added.

So no real solutions just ask people to try and not die so often?

Yes, and presumably they are paid to come up with this nonsense.

On 7/5/2023 at 12:13 AM, kwilco said:

There is no mention of the underlying reasons.

For the last few years there have been fewer tourists and less traffic - in tourist areas the numbers have increased dramatically therefore traffic has increased concomitantly.

We need to look at the trends over the last 3 decades - and road deaths per 100k are not the only yardstick in fact they can distort the picture

The reality is that road safety in Thailand has not improved one iota over the last 3 decades - this is because the authorities approach to road safety is archaic. Based on driver and blame it fails to address the reality of the situation holistically.

I have noticed a few green shoots of real road safety appearing but the problem is they are patchwork and inconsistent so ineffective - however it does show that some people are changing their attitudes towards road safety and are moving away from blame-the-driver syndrome.

Until the Thai government recognises road safety as a public health problem, no significant changes will occur.

I think money is a big part of the problem.

If you look at all the food delivery drivers, they wear helmets. At least the ones I see are. I don't know for sure but I suspect that's because they have to wear them to get the job and I'd be surprised if the same weren't true for licences. Losing that income due to not wearing a helmet is a big enough financial incentive to wear the helmet.

What are often called fines from the police are more accurately bribes and they are priced in the same way as any other service. Enough to to make a decent profit but not so much to stop people from committing the offences and cutting the flow of funds.

Make people travel to an office unconnected to the police to pay an adequate fine, thereby separating the police from the money, and things MIGHT improve a bit.

On 7/6/2023 at 2:10 PM, kimamey said:

If you look at all the food delivery drivers, they wear helmets. At least the ones I see are. I don't know for sure but I suspect that's because they have to wear them to get the job and I'd be surprised if the same weren't true for licences. Losing that income due to not wearing a helmet is a big enough financial incentive to wear the helmet.

What are often called fines from the police are more accurately bribes and they are priced in the same way as any other service. Enough to to make a decent profit but not so much to stop people from committing the offences and cutting the flow of funds.

Make people travel to an office unconnected to the police to pay an adequate fine, thereby separating the police from the money, and things MIGHT improve a bit.

ll over the world, it is the poor who fare worst when it comes to road safty.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 2:10 PM, kimamey said:

All over the world, it is the poor who fare worst when it comes to road safety.

corruption is a major factor with any institution - it means for a start that people don't get their job on merit, this means that they are often not fully trained or incompetent.

The entire police force needs a reform from the bottom to the top and this includes a fully trained traffic police and crash assessment department - when was the last time you saw a crash report??

The truth is after an accident there is no real study or calibration of what actually happened, just the dreamed up opinion of one or two coppers who weren't even there.

Without this information we can't learn from crashes and put in place measures to prevent them happening again.

E.G. -an accident hotspot isn't somewhere where people suddenly become stupid, there is something wrong with the road design.

In fact there is an Australian organisation looking at this at present, I believe...as are a Swedish government agency.

• Like 1