Thai Senior Immigration Officer Vows to Purge the Country of All Overstayers Within Three Months

webfact

32 minutes ago, Joseph98765 said:

just asking...is enough to have a copy in the cloud so you can show them all the copies on your phone??

Well it used to be acceptable but you never know, the law says you must carry your passport but i never do, to lose a British passport would be a nightmare at one time it was quoted a 2000 baht fine, it would be cheaper to pay the fine

Edited by ChipButty
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Well it used to be acceptable but you never know, the law says you must carry your passport but i never do, to lose a British passport would be a nightmare at one time it was quoted a 2000 baht fine, it would be cheaper to pay the fine

yeah...me neither... 

2 hours ago, Joseph98765 said:

just asking...is enough to have a copy in the cloud so you can show them all the copies on your phone??

Of course you need your passport when you travel. However, once you have arrived at your holiday destination or place of residence, it makes sense to  have only a photocopy of your passport with all the stamps and leave the original passport in the safe. It must be ensured that, in the worst case, you can quickly organize and show your original passport.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

Of course you need your passport when you travel. However, once you have arrived at your holiday destination or place of residence, it makes sense to  have only a photocopy of your passport with all the stamps and leave the original passport in the safe. It must be ensured that, in the worst case, you can quickly organize and show your original passport.

not tavelling...living here for 15 years..5555

7 hours ago, actonion said:
On 7/8/2023 at 10:27 AM, Classic Ray said:

This is not such a silly idea. A wrist bracelet with QR code giving ID details and departure date could be affixed at port of arrival, allowing any official or hotel operator with a smartphone camera to interrogate the official immigration records. If you get an extension you get a new bracelet. All paid for by the arrival tax. 

And released from Thailand on good behavior

At worst they could put the tourists on a leash, just letting them go on departure day (without their money)...

On 7/9/2023 at 6:55 AM, parafareno said:

it would be great to lie on pattaya beach without being surrounded by bloated russian grannies screaming Harasho, Harasho, Putin Is Great.......  

I recently stayed for five weeks in Pattaya. While there were a good number of Russians, particularly older ones, I did not hear such screams.

It is also the law to have legal identification on one’s person at all times.

I've been checked only once and that was some "under cover policeman" with fake ID he flipped shortly in front of me. I think it was some 2005-ish?

some areas of Bangkok were/are raided regularly, indeed. But even that areas police never insisted on original passport.

I've seen apartments with those copies attached to the doors - so police won't bother banging, talking etc.

I think the good solution from carrying original document is color copy and hires scan on you phone. black and white is so out of fashion nowadays. 

Search around your city/province for a print shop that makes laminated passport cards. One side has face page of your passport, the backside has a copy of your current visa, or extension. You can put in your wallet and police, hospitals, etc. are fine with it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2023 at 5:39 AM, hotchilli said:

How about setting up a system on your immigration computers that links to over stayers being highlighted?

Yes you would think the computer would list out all overstayers who are more than a few days over the time limit. Then send in the boys.

• Like 1