Finding FREE Books on the Internet: Besides Using “Project Gutenberg”, What Do You Do?

57 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I had not seen this link before.

I will save it in Google Keep

This database has around 3 million books now. It is by far the best collection on the internet. Thailand is indifferent to the question of its legality. Western countries claim it is illegal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, billd766 said:

A few years ago I was fortunate enough to be given 1.6 tB of books and I have been given another couple of downloads since.

They are in many formats and I am slowly converting them to MOBI.

So far up to December 31st 2022 I have converted 5954 Authors at this date, but how many books I would take a guess at 30,xxx plus as some authors have only written 1 book and some have written 40 plus books.

I spend about 1 hour most evenings converting 10 or more authors to MOBI.

I have spent about 70 hours this year converting books, so I must have IRO 6,1xx authors done.

Mine is for personal and not commercial use only.

I tend to read for an hour or so in the evenings as I am more a night owl now and it helps me sleep.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thousands of free books on Amazon, just input "Kindle free books" into the search function. Some are absolute garbage, I can usually pick those in a few pages.

Some authors will make their first book or two free, presumably to entice readers to purchase more of their books to follow the characters and storylines. That strategy has worked with me a few times.

What's odd is how Amazon will have a free classic, and the same classic with a price tag on it.

I have kindle unlimited if you are a prime member it's $9,99 per month., if not $11.99

Its great because since you are not paying for the book, you can read a couple of chapters and if you don't like it you can returned and borrow another.

You can't depend on the reviews. 99% of the books have a 4.5 star review . 

How is that possible? LOL  They probably have a prime account for buying reviews LOL 

Funny thing is amazon has a search option by starrs, The top choice is 4 stars and up.  HELLO!! every book has a minimum of 4.4 stars. ????

Anyway, for the money it's good to have, I tried some of the other services m, such as Gittenburg.org. i find that trying  to download a book from it to your Kindle is impossible.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sidjameson said:

I have a Kindle. 

Does anyone know if Amazon get upset if I download from say, libgen.org

I have a friend who has a Kindle reader from Amazon. 

I have sent him a load of Ebooks in MOBI, but his Kindle simply will not accept them to read.

The Kindle, whilst it is an excellent Ebook reader seems to be locked into books from Amazon only.

I use a Lenovo tablet and I can read books from any source plus it is a normal tablet as well.

I am sure that there must be a way to override Amazon but I have no idea how to do it.

11 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

I frequently download books from annas-archive.org in mobi format.

No problem reading them on my Kindle.

Not sure what MOBI is. I looked in Gutenberg.org and could not find a file extension called MOBI. 

And if you do find it and download it, how do you get it from you loptop into your kindle ?

I do see the "EPUB3 (E-readers incl. Send-to-Kindle) " but it does not send it to kindle and every search I made as to why or how, did not yield any actionable results. 

image.png.c46959030dbd59fabacabb2cce130831.png

18 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Not sure what MOBI is. I looked in Gutenberg.org and could not find a file extension called MOBI. 

And if you do find it and download it, how do you get it from you loptop into your kindle ?

I do see the "EPUB3 (E-readers incl. Send-to-Kindle) " but it does not send it to kindle and every search I made as to why or how, did not yield any actionable results. 

image.png.c46959030dbd59fabacabb2cce130831.png

https://www.cloudwards.net/epub-vs-mobi/#:~:text=EPUB is the most widely,them to MOBI or AZW3.

I transfer the Mobi files from my pc to my Kindle using the Kindle charging cable.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gaccha said:

This database has around 3 million books now. It is by far the best collection on the internet. Thailand is indifferent to the question of its legality. Western countries claim it is illegal.

I like your thinking.