retirement extension renewal possible ?

Hi to everyone,

I am renting a condo in Jomtien for more than 1.5 years now and I have more than 850k in the bank for a long time already.  I have a retirement extension and a multiple re-entry permit due to expire on 26 July (all was done at Jomtien Immigration Office). The problem is, I am currently in the UK and for business reasons I cannot come back to Thailand before the end of August. Is there a way to renew my retirement extension before or after I come back or will I have to do  the whole process of collecting documents, photocopies etc from the beginning after my arrival ? Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance for your replies,

As DrJack54 told you, you'll have to start all over again as you're Retirement ext will have expired. However, I wouldn't be concerned about "the whole process of collecting documents, photocopies etc" because you have to do that every year when you renew. I just renewed mine last week and the amount of docs/photocopies is crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Edit: There was recent post of (think is was) Jomtien of not processing "conversion" from visa exempt to non O using TM87.

Thinking just a rogue immigration officer.

You really need to link to that claim rather than you "think" someone was denied non-imm O from visa exempt

The only cases I've read about Jomtien is 800k having to be in bank for 2 months for non-imm O (instead of day of appication) and OP has his 800k well seeded

Edited by Pattaya57

17 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

You really need to link to that claim rather than you "think" someone was denied non-imm O from visa exempt

Been noted in various threads.

I stated not sure of immigration office. Thinking 

@Red Phoenix  also noted it. 

BTW ..the "I think..."  was not about the post. More which immigration office. 

Not sure if it was Jomtien..

Edit: Here is one thread. 

Has been another.

And indeed it was not Jomtien.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1296821-some-imm-offices-refusing-to-do-the-change-of-visa-process-applying-for-90-day-non-imm-o-visa-from-a-visaexempt-entry/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Been noted in various threads.

I stated not sure of immigration office. Thinking 

@Red Phoenix  also noted it. 

BTW ..the "I think..."  was not about the post. More which immigration office. 

Not sure if it was Jomtien..

Edit: Here is one thread. 

Has been another.

And indeed it was not Jomtien.

So not relevant to Jomtien and therefore not relevant to this thread, good to know ????

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Read the thread I posted link to where in two different immigration offices refused "conversion" from visa exempt to non O using TM87 was refused. 

One would assume that the OP will deal with Jomtien.

Maybe yes perhaps no.

For others reading threads the fact that there are couple of reports placing cloud over conversion from visa exempt entries is significant.

Find your posts tedious.

Now on ignore. 

So OP has same condo for 15 years in Jomtien but you decide he may apply somewhere else and therefore everyone should read what you have to say about other immigration offices that you "think may have happened, but not sure"

Then you place me on ignore because I called you out on it. Got it!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

So OP has same condo for 15 years in Jomtien

From the OP.....

"I am renting a condo in Jomtien for more than 1.5 years"

You missed the 1point5 years.

RENTING. 

Got it! 

• Haha 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Read the thread I posted link to where in two different immigration offices refused "conversion" from visa exempt to non O using TM87 was refused. 

One would assume that the OP will deal with Jomtien.

Maybe yes perhaps no.

For others reading threads the fact that there are couple of reports placing cloud over conversion from visa exempt entries is significant.

Find your posts tedious.

Now on ignore. 

Yes, I am planning to apply in Jomtien

19 minutes ago, grain said:

As DrJack54 told you, you'll have to start all over again as you're Retirement ext will have expired. However, I wouldn't be concerned about "the whole process of collecting documents, photocopies etc" because you have to do that every year when you renew. I just renewed mine last week and the amount of docs/photocopies is crazy.

So no harm coming back after my extension expired, I would have gone into the same renewal process anyway, correct ?

6 hours ago, grain said:

I renewed my Retirement Visa a few weeks ago. All that was required was letter from bank, picture, form filled out and of cause passport. Oh and a couple of photo copies of P/P, + the 1900bht cost. Done in less that 30 Min: from walking in at my local I/O. 

1 hour ago, Barry864 said:

So no harm coming back after my extension expired, I would have gone into the same renewal process anyway, correct ?

If you return on a non-O visa then correct. But if you return visa exempt or on a tourist visa then an extra step is involved to first convert to an O visa. 

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

I renewed my Retirement Visa a few weeks ago. All that was required was letter from bank, picture, form filled out and of cause passport. Oh and a couple of photo copies of P/P, + the 1900bht cost. Done in less that 30 Min: from walking in at my local I/O. 

OP's issue is that he will be out of country at the time he would need to do this.

7 hours ago, Barry864 said:

Coming back without a visa makes the process a little more involved. Rather than applying directly for a 12-month extension, you apply for a Non O visa at Immigration (using form TM87). This application is taken under consideration with a report back date maybe two or three weeks later to receive an initial 90-day stay. After that, you can apply for one-year extensions in the normal way. It is not too bad, but you might want to consider getting a single entry Non O visa (retirement) prior to your arrival to simplify matters.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Coming back without a visa makes the process a little more involved. Rather than applying directly for a 12-month extension, you apply for a Non O visa at Immigration (using form TM87). This application is taken under consideration with a report back date maybe two or three weeks later to receive an initial 90-day stay. After that, you can apply for one-year extensions in the normal way. It is not too bad, but you might want to consider getting a single entry Non O visa (retirement) prior to your arrival to simplify matters.

@Barry864 > The main hurdle when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement) when entering Thailand VisaExempt is the opening of a bank-account to provide evidence of +800K on that account.  Since you already have 850K for a long time on your Thai bank-account, that's no issue for you (nor would you have to prove the foreign origins of those funds, as they have been seasoned already for long time).

But unfortunately for the rest of the process you would have to start from scratch (either by applying for the eVisa Non Imm O - retirement in UK, or entering Thailand VisaExempt and applying at your local Imm Office), so you would also have to notify the local Immigration Office of your address in Thailand (TM-30).