Can you apply for a visa in person while still waiting for evisa?

Hello,

I applied for an evisa at home last Monday and it is still pending document check.

However I am now already in a neighboring country. Can I apply for a visa in a consulate here while I am waiting?

If I was accepted at a consulate here and my evisa arrives later what would happen? 

Thank you

Those are very good questions. In theory, you are only supposed to apply for an e-visa when within the country where you are applying, so the issue should not normally arise. I am pretty sure you could apply and get the visa in the country you are in right now. However, I believe Immigration will know when you enter that you have an e-visa also that you presumably applied for when outside the country where you were supposed to apply. I have no idea what happens next. If you go ahead with this plan, please let us know the aftermath.

Yes I applied for my evisa in my home country but due to no update I changed my flight from arriving in BKK to Vietnam instead.

I am able to attend an appointment this week but afraid that will cause an issue and I end up with no visa in the end.

If I do, I will update.

if anyone else has experience, let me know.

1 hour ago, TVtellme said:

However I am now already in a neighboring country. Can I apply for a visa in a consulate here while I am waiting?

Variations to your question have come up since the introduction of e-visa.

One recent thread a guys tourist e-Visa (UK) was not approved in time and arrived in Thailand visa exempt.

Subsequently he received his approved e-Visa.

Was then asking if he could do a border bounce and enter with his e-Visa or alternatively fly out of Thailand eg to Vietnam and return with e-Visa.

Some folk actively looking to exploit this poorly introduced "e-Visa" 

One example ....obtain your e-Visa and knowingly enter Thailand without producing it on arrival and be given 30 day stamp. 

Then use it later.

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Variations to your question have come up since the introduction of e-visa.

One recent thread a guys tourist e-Visa (UK) was not approved in time and arrived in Thailand visa exempt.

Subsequently he received his approved e-Visa.

Was then asking if he could do a border bounce and enter with his e-Visa or alternatively fly out of Thailand eg to Vietnam and return with e-Visa.

Some folk actively looking to exploit this poorly introduced e-Visa.

One example ....obtain your e-Visa and knowingly enter Thailand without producing it on arrival and be given 30 day stamp. 

Then use it later.

Yes I’m not trying to get two visas.

Just thought it might be faster to apply in person and get it this week. 

Currently no updates on my e visa processing time, it’s been a week and I’ve seen others here waiting two weeks. 

Not sure if it’s a good idea or may lead to future problems 

Just now, TVtellme said:

Yes I’m not trying to get two visas.

Just thought it might be faster to apply in person and get it this week. 

Currently no updates on my e visa processing time, it’s been a week and I’ve seen others here waiting two weeks. 

Not sure if it’s a good idea or may lead to future problems 

Unless you are unhappy in Vietnam, I would say wait it out. Thailand actively tries to avoid you having two concurrently active valid visas. I do not think it is possible to predict what they would do if they became aware that you were entering with two active visas. Play it safe.

• Like 1

If you get the visa stamp in your passport and subsequently your e-visa arrives before you travel to Thailand, use the stamped visa in your passport to enter the country. Don't show or mention the e-visa to the immigration official as this would be information overload and could confuse him. He may not have been trained to deal with such situation and his reaction would be unpredictable.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1