Multi Entry Visa - When to Apply

I am coming to Thailand for 58 days from November 17 2023 to Jan 14 2024.

I know I have to get a visa for that length of stay but when should I apply for the visa? Should I get a double entry visa as I am thinking of going back to Thailand the end of March 2024, for another 50 odd days? Is it an evisa now? I live in London so not far from the embassy.

OP you only require 58days.

Enter Thailand visa exempt which gives you a 30 day stamp.

In the last couple of weeks of that stamp attend immigration and obtain a 30 day extension. 1900baht.

BTW: the double entry tourist visa you mention was done away with years ago.

Even if you applied in UK for a e-visa, you would not apply for a METV a single entry tourist visa provides 60 day stamp and also can be extended by 30 days. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

As suggested above, it would be possible to do your trip without a visa in advance. You could avoid the need for a visit to Immigration in Thailand by getting a tourist visa in advance. Only a single entry visa (valid for a 60-day, 59 night) stay would be needed. you would apply for the visa about a month before leaving London for your trip.

Note two points about the visa application:

1. All Thai visa applications in the UK are now made online using an e-visa system. You receive the visa by email.
  2. There is no longer any double or triple entry tourist visa. This was replaced years ago by a multiple entry tourist visa.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Just enter visa exempt each time and get an extension... multiple entry is additional 3000bt... you don't need it.

Each extension is 1,900 baht, so two extensions involves not only extra hassle, but extra expense compared to a multiple entry visa.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Each extension is 1,900 baht, so two extensions involves not only extra hassle, but extra expense compared to a multiple entry visa.

You forgot the expense of making a border bounce... multiple entry just gets you back into the country without starting a visa from scratch... it doesn't get you more time in the country

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

You forgot the expense of making a border bounce... multiple entry just gets you back into the country without starting a visa from scratch... it doesn't get you more time in the country

A visa exempt entry gives you a 30-day permission to stay. A tourist visa gives you a 60-day permission to stay. A Non O visa gives you a 90-day permission to stay. All these are without extensions. Unless you have a close Thai family member, you can only get a single 30-day extension of a visa exempt entry, so a single entry tourist visa (without extension) gives the same amount of time as a visa exempt entry with extension. Two entries on a multiple entry Non O visa gives you six months with one border bounce. Six months on visa exempt entries requires two border bounces and three extensions. Explain to me how this is cheaper or less hassle..

It looks like the tourist visa in advance is the best option for me then. I guess I should apply in about October time just in case there are issues. How long do I have to enter Thailand before the visa expires?

Does it work out easier than having a multiple entry visa as I will be going to Thailand again in March 2024.

3 hours ago, WalsallRobbo said:

Can you apply for a multiple entry tourist visa online? It doesn't look like it. I guess the tourist visa in advance is the best option.

Read your thread.

What part don't you understand.

You are staying 58days.

It's a no brainer.

Enter visa exempt which gives you a 30 day stay.

In last 2 weeks obtain 30 day extension = 30+30 days.

Why make easy difficult. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WalsallRobbo said:

Can you apply for a multiple entry tourist visa online? It doesn't look like it. I guess the tourist visa in advance is the best option.

Yes in UK you can apply for METV e-Visa online London.

Why on earth would you want a METV which can actually provide stay up to 9 months.

You plan to stay 58days.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Read your thread.

What part don't you understand.

You are staying 58days.

It's a no brainer.

Enter visa exempt which gives you a 30 day stay.

In last 2 weeks obtain 30 day extension = 30+30 days.

Why make easy difficult. 

Thanks Dr Jack. I think I will get the visa beforehand as it seems simpler than having to go to the immigration office and ask for an extension.

Thanks for your advice though.

10 minutes ago, WalsallRobbo said:

Thanks Dr Jack. I think I will get the visa beforehand as it seems simpler than having to go to the immigration office and ask for an extension.

Up to you of course.

The 30 day extension is a simple process. 1900baht.

Some offices you can even make an appointment.

Depends on your ongoing plans to visit Thailand. 

If it's generally under 60 days then vast majority would not bother with a tourist visa. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One often hears and reads about this "enter on 30 day visa exempt and then get an extention".

May be all well and good as far as visas go but what about the cost and availability of the airline tickets to and fro.

Some airlines may even refuse to allow you to travel without a return ticket.

I've looked at the above before and found it's not worth the effort.

When I travel, I like to have all the possible "hangups" taken care of beforehand so I can simply "go for a holiday" and not have to worry about minor details or saving a couple of bucks that could infringe on your time away.

Fine if you want to enter visa exempt but have the appropriate visa before you leave.

I usually arrange for it to be done well in advance of start of travel ( a couple of months).

Be sure you have the correct amount of time remaining on your passport also as that may throw a spanner in the works.

I think it might be at least 6 months remaining at time of departure.

Others will certainly say "ah, you worry about nothing" but one never hears the full story.

Edited by bluejets
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2023 at 11:37 PM, BritTim said:

The visa exemption with extension is often an easy solution. However, a tourist visa in advance is sometimes better. For instance, if you plan on spending most of the trip island hopping far from immigration offices, needing to apply for an extension can be really annoying. Indeed, quite a lot of people would prefer to sort out immigration issues fully before their trip rather than using part of their time in Thailand dealing with Thai immigration officials.

Exactly.  Many people just say pop on down to your immigration office and get an extension, easy.  Some people don't want to waste a day or depending on where you are, multiple days.  Better things to do than dealing with Thai bureaucracy.

On 7/13/2023 at 8:58 PM, WalsallRobbo said:

ask for advice and then ignore the answers from long time members. seems like a plan,

the best/easier way for what you want to do is a visa exempt 30 day entry with a 30 day extension, done lots of times by lots of people, a tourist visa on line application is not straight forward.