Air Miles

Just now, nauseus said:

It's economy.

Looks like you have to pay 409 quid to secure the award ticket. Steep I know. The tax was always payable separately with these things but it looks like THAI have increased the weighting on the tax side a lot!

I always found it best to visit a THAI office and then sort it out.

OP is booking from the UK plus he doesn't have 85,000 miles on his account to redeem for an award ticket. He is looking to redeem miles (circa 40,000) against the fare.

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It's economy.

Looks like you have to pay 409 quid to secure the award ticket. Steep I know. The tax was always payable separately with these things but it looks like THAI have increased the weighting on the tax side a lot!

I always found it best to visit a THAI office and then sort it out.

About 5 years ago or so Wife, Son and I had enough Air-miles to fly to the BKK-UK-BKK in business class (Awards flight).

The tax was higher than Economy Class tickets with Emirates and a UAE stopover !!!.. 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

About 5 years ago or so Wife, Son and I had enough Air-miles to fly to the BKK-UK-BKK in business class (Awards flight).

The tax was higher than Economy Class tickets with Emirates and a UAE stopover !!!.. 

I can believe that. Sad sign of the times,

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Using ROP Airmiles is a nightmare...  they make it as difficult as possible. 

We tried to use them last year and in the Summer (booking 6 months in advance)... nothing available. 

We managed to use 'get ahead of the game' and use them this year...    They can be used up to 330 days in advance of the intended travel date.

Wife called up TG at 8am exactly 330 days before intended travel - All eco reward seats taken, only business left (which we took), not on the flights we wanted either, but at least the same travel day...  We then had to wait a few days to do the same for our return flights, which we managed to secure in Economy Class. 

It took numerous calls and most of the reward seats had gone from the very moment they became available - I suspect insider 'favoritism' of course... 

I have never had any issue using TG ROP miles for upgrades to business or for business class redemption in the last 10 years. Got the ticket I wanted everytime. Always by phone through their call centre/s. I am (still) ROP Gold so maybe that makes a difference. Expiring miles with Thai can be a pain when other frequent flyer schemes such as Virgin Atlantic miles never expire.

15 minutes ago, Keeps said:

OP is booking from the UK plus he doesn't have 85,000 miles on his account to redeem for an award ticket. He is looking to redeem miles (circa 40,000) against the fare.

OK but the data he showed is for a full (miles) award. Not hybrid.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I have never had any issue using TG ROP miles for upgrades to business or for business class redemption in the last 10 years. Got the ticket I wanted everytime. Always by phone through their call centre/s. I am (still) ROP Gold so maybe that makes a difference. Expiring miles with Thai can be a pain when other frequent flyer schemes such as Virgin Atlantic miles never expire.

As mentioned we used the phone each time when trying to book... Tier status seemed to make no difference (although we're silver) unless they hold 'Award seats back for Gold Members'... 

... I'm wondering, at what time of year were your flights (and destination)... 

I suspect that all seats were taken on the dates we wanted flights because it was peak periods of travel..

i.e. Summer and Christmas school holidays (to UK) and Feb half term break to Japan... 

I Imagine it to be easier to secure an award seat for a mid-march flight Dubai for example....

The issue I have with TG on this (just in case people haven't guessed by now !!!)... is that TG limit the Award Seat availability on flights whereas (some) other airlines do not.

And this list of complaint ROP Miles keeps growing - over the years the Miles have devalued - at one point a few years back they halved when the the miles required to fly from x to x doubled... 

Miles recently 'devalued this year too' as more miles are required this year than last for the same destinations. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What you have selected is a return Award Ticket using 85,000 Air-miles (42,500 each way).

You will pay £409.79 on top of this in fee's and taxes.

Booking the exact same flights directly (without Air-miles) is £860 - meaning TG are charing 47% in taxes and fees !!! 

THAI taxes and fees were nearly £900 GBP on a business class award ticket LHR-BKK-LHR (in October 2022 at least). They definitely ramped up paid ticket prices and charges and fees since Covid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As mentioned we used the phone each time when trying to book... Tier status seemed to make no difference (although we're silver) unless they hold 'Award seats back for Gold Members'... 

... I'm wondering, at what time of year were your flights (and destination)... 

I suspect that all seats were taken on the dates we wanted flights because it was peak periods of travel..

i.e. Summer and Christmas school holidays (to UK) and Feb half term break to Japan... 

I Imagine it to be easier to secure an award seat for a mid-march flight Dubai for example....

The issue I have with TG on this (just in case people haven't guessed by now !!!)... is that TG limit the Award Seat availability on flights whereas (some) other airlines do not.

Always on THAI  LHR-BKK-LHR route. Late October, mid December, mid January, February, March & mid April. Never during the UK school summer holidays. This has been my travel to/from Thailand for most of the last 20 years.

Some airlines such as Virgin Atlantic strictly limit award seat redemptions. I just booked the only 2 Upper Class award seats (per flight) from London to Male, Maldives for early November this year. They helpfully have a chart showing what is available on each flight. If only THAI would do the same!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Always on THAI  LHR-BKK-LHR route. Late October, mid December, mid January, February, March & mid April. Never during the UK school summer holidays. This has been my travel to/from Thailand for most of the last 20 years.

Some airlines such as Virgin Atlantic strictly limit award seat redemptions. I just booked the only 2 Upper Class award seats (per flight) from London to Male, Maldives for early November this year. They helpfully have a chart showing what is available on each flight. If only THAI would do the same!

The one that surprises me out of those is 'Mid Dec' (if outgoing - BKK >> LHR) - perhaps thats just before the International Schools breakup and the mad 'Christmas Exodus'.... 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The one that surprises me out of those is 'Mid Dec' (if outgoing - BKK >> LHR) - perhaps thats just before the International Schools breakup and the mad 'Christmas Exodus'.... 

My GF and I flew on TG916 from BKK to LHR on 12th December 2023. Flight was about 60% full. We were in the front cabin of economy and each had 3 seats to ourselves. On a walk to the back of the plane, I would guess that there were at least another 20 passengers with 3 seats each. The TG916 is my favourite flight as TG910 is often much busier (horrible times too in my opinion) but for some reason, it's almost always full.

Edited by soi3eddie

So, the £409 fare was just for taxes and fares and I will be charged more when I book?

I still can't figure it out as I only have 40000 miles, why does it state 85000?

Am I purchasing the extra miles as well? It would be really helpful if Thai Airways told me the total cost of what I will pay before agreeing to it al.

I have spent about 2 days trying to figure it all out but it does look like my only real option is to pay cash and miles, unless I just wanted to retain the miles for a possible upgrade (which I don't). I would rather get rid of them ASAP.

19 minutes ago, WalsallRobbo said:

So, the £409 fare was just for taxes and fares and I will be charged more when I book?

I still can't figure it out as I only have 40000 miles, why does it state 85000?

Am I purchasing the extra miles as well? It would be really helpful if Thai Airways told me the total cost of what I will pay before agreeing to it al.

I have spent about 2 days trying to figure it all out but it does look like my only real option is to pay cash and miles, unless I just wanted to retain the miles for a possible upgrade (which I don't). I would rather get rid of them ASAP.

85000 are the miles you need for a normal economy return award on THAI, but I can't see what you have done.

What I can see is that you could fly economy with Emirates from Birmingham for £846.27 (same days).

If you are in Walsall, then no need to go to London and you could keep your THAI miles for something else.

44 minutes ago, WalsallRobbo said:

Because you are on the Awards Page - its not telling you how much you have, its telling you how much it will 'cost you' (in cash and miles).

That page is telling you you will need 85000 miles + £409 in taxes.

As you don't have 85000 miles the transaction will not go through. 

It appears that you are trying to use the Cash+Miles option - but the page you have arrived on is the Awards Option which is different. 

The Thai Airways web-page is very clunky... 

I may be mistaken - but, I think for the Cash+Awards flights (which is a relatively new thing), you log in to TG with your ROP details (membership) go through the booking process, put in all your details and ROP details... 

I think then, when it gets to the payment page you offset the cost with miles (I've not done it on TG but thats exactly the way it works with Emirates - hopefully someone in TG has copied this system).

Nothing will be subtracted from your account until you put in your card details for final payment anyway, so it doesn't hurt to go that far in the process.

Alternatively, call Thai Airways and discuss with them exactly what you want to do and if its possible.

- Give them your ROP number.

- They'll be able to tell you if you can use your 40,000 Miles to contribute and pay the rest in cash. 

20 hours ago, Keeps said:

From the link you provided it does look pretty straightforward. Looks like you select the Cash + Miles at the payment stage:-

It is a great way and great deal to redeem a small or large amount of miles, it’s up to you.
Simply follow the online booking process and after selecting the secure online payment option proceed as follows:

•    Select the Cash + Miles option
•    A prompt allows you to log into your Royal Orchid Plus account using your membership number and PIN
•    Choose from a range of miles according to the destination and class of service of the travel itinerary
•    The cash portion for travel is then recalculated and online payment can be completed in either local currency or U.S. dollars
•    You will then receive your booking confirmation and confirmation of miles used separately by email.

When using the Cash + Mile option it’s doubly rewarding. Redeeming miles reduces the cost of ticketed travel, while Royal Orchid Plus miles are earned on all eligible fares.

Make the most of your miles with Cash + Miles at thaiairways.com

I've already posted the process the OP needs to go through directly copied from the Thai Airways site. I can't see what the problem is unless this information contradicts the actual process on the website?

1 minute ago, Keeps said:

I've already posted the process the OP needs to go through directly copied from the Thai Airways site. I can't see what the problem is unless this information contradicts the actual process on the website?

It seems the Op is somewhat reticent to pull the trigger to get to the 'next stage' for fear that the website will swallow his air-miles and he'll lose them...  

... Op just has has to straighten his back and take that step...

Thanks for all your help. I have figured it out now and pieced it altogether. I don't have enough for a free flight or an upgrade - I just have enough for a reduction in my flight (miles plus cash) or a few hours in a lounge before the flight.

We got there in the end! Thanks to everyone who has managed to help me.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

85000 are the miles you need for a normal economy return award on THAI, but I can't see what you have done.

What I can see is that you could fly economy with Emirates from Birmingham for £846.27 (same days).

If you are in Walsall, then no need to go to London and you could keep your THAI miles for something else.

And QATAR thru Doha 680 quid today.

Have you noticed the disparity between the value of air miles when it comes to upgrading, and the cost of air miles if you were to buy those same miles from the same airline? It's ridiculous, why do air miles have to be a profit center for these airlines? That feels abusive to me. 

12 hours ago, WalsallRobbo said:

Just to keep you notified. My ticket was £897.79 and with my air miles it cost me £715.79, a saving of £182, so worth doing.

So you were able to use your miles without too much difficulty, nice!