Non-Immigration O visa from Australia

I tried to get a 90 day non-immigration O Visa from the Sydney Consulate (not offered at Canberra Embassy) and was shocked to find they require 90 day health insurance.

Went to the link they provide for approved health insurance providers, O visa not mentioned just O-X, O-A and STV for 6-9 months which has not been a valid visa for a year now. Contacted insurance companies, all said only do insurance minimum 1 year, except Pacific Cross who do 90 days for 17,249 baht. Thing is this is the old STV policy they cut down to 90 days and it has a waiting period of 120 days after arrival in Thailand so basically your not covered at all for your 17k baht.

Has anyone applied for the non-immigration O visa from Australia, if so what insurance did you use?

Note: I emailed Consulate 3 weeks ago seeking advice, no answer

Edited by Pattaya57

I should add AXA offer a 12 month policy for 13,290 baht if you select a 100,000 baht deductible. This cover is for 4 million baht and is their approved O-A visa policy

As I'll be getting a 12 month extension of stay the AXA policy seems the best I could find to meet the unique Sydney O Visa requirement 

As an alternative to the non-imm O, I also looked at the O-A visa. This requires the health insurance which at 13k baht for AXA above I was happy with. It also required a medical check form which was no problem for me as I tacked it on to my regular check-up, so basically free.

However O-A also requires a national police check which I applied for on 26 June ($42). 3 weeks later I still don't have my police check back as their system seems to have failed.

I guess I'm not meant to get a retirement visa for Thailand as I was already denied a non-imm O at Jomtien with 800k baht in bank in April (they said must be in bank 2 months, not 2 weeks)

Edited by Pattaya57

4 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I tried to get a 90 day non-immigration O Visa from the Sydney Consulate (not offered at Canberra Embassy) and was shocked to find they require 90 day health insurance.

That is not correct.

Starting from 1 July 2022, Thailand Pass is canceled, the insurance requirements will no longer be required for entering Thailand. Insurance requirements for other types of visa are dierent, please consult with the Thai Embassy or Consulate for the insurance requirements.

For Special Tourist Visa (STV) and O-A Visa: Health insurance policy which covers the period that the applicant intends to stay in Thailand with a coverage at least USD 100,000 for medical expenses relate to Covid-19 treatment.

For O-X Visa: Health insurance policy which covers the period that the applicant intends to stay in Thailand with a coverage of no less than THB 40,000 for outpatient treatment and THB 400,000 for in-patient.

https://www.axa.co.th/en/faq-sawasdee-thailand-inbound

I appreciate it can be difficult if embassies have not kept up with the changes. I have used this company who are quite reasonable when it was a requirement coming from the UK.

Inbound Travel Insurance covers you in Thailand. If you are a tourist and you are only here for a short period of time, this is what is recommended for you. Clients usually ask about health insurance for 2 months or 3 months only, but Health Insurance contracts are only annual. If you are in Thailand for a vacation or a short business trip, this is the insurance for you.

https://misterprakan.com/th/travel/main?lg=en

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is not correct.

Starting from 1 July 2022, Thailand Pass is canceled, the insurance requirements will no longer be required for entering Thailand. Insurance requirements for other types of visa are dierent, please consult with the Thai Embassy or Consulate for the insurance requirements.

For Special Tourist Visa (STV) and O-A Visa: Health insurance policy which covers the period that the applicant intends to stay in Thailand with a coverage at least USD 100,000 for medical expenses relate to Covid-19 treatment.

For O-X Visa: Health insurance policy which covers the period that the applicant intends to stay in Thailand with a coverage of no less than THB 40,000 for outpatient treatment and THB 400,000 for in-patient.

https://www.axa.co.th/en/faq-sawasdee-thailand-inbound

I appreciate it can be difficult if embassies have not kept up with the changes. I have used this company who are quite reasonable when it was a requirement coming from the UK.

Inbound Travel Insurance covers you in Thailand. If you are a tourist and you are only here for a short period of time, this is what is recommended for you. Clients usually ask about health insurance for 2 months or 3 months only, but Health Insurance contracts are only annual. If you are in Thailand for a vacation or a short business trip, this is the insurance for you.

https://misterprakan.com/th/travel/main?lg=en

Well yeah it is correct. Thai Consulate in Australia requires 90 day health insurance for a non-imm O Visa or they won't issue the Visa

Screenshot_20230715-195851_Samsung Internet.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Thai Consulate in Australia requires 90 day health insurance for a non-imm O Visa or they won't issue the Visa

I don't think that is correct.

Insurance was required in "covid times" even for non O retirement (3 months)  however I think is now not required. 

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't think that is correct.

Insurance was required in "covid times" even for non O retirement (3 months)  however I think is now not required. 

I know it shouldn't be required but here is the Sydney Consulate page that says it is (item 6). I have emailed to confirm, no response

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-retirement

Edited by Pattaya57

21 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I know it shouldn't be required but here is the Sydney Consulate page that says it is (item 6). I have emailed to confirm, no response

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-retirement

Yes I looked at that site.

Seems when you hit the insurance link the non O retirement is not listed.

I recall a post in recent months of chap obtaining one at Sydney and didn't require insurance.

Definitely it was required previously during covid restrictions.

At that time people were posting to enter Thailand visa exempt or tourist visa to avoid the insurance requirement. 

I did look for the post re non O from Thai embassy Sydney but cannot locate it.

It's a pity that the dragon lady at Pattaya is requiring 2 months for the "conversion" to non O when in actual fact it should only be required on day of application. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes I looked at that site.

Seems when you hit the insurance link the non O retirement is not listed.

I recall a post in recent months of chap obtaining one at Sydney and didn't require insurance.

I thought of applying for Non-O without the insurance and see what happens (as I know it's not required anywhere else in the World).

Will try it Monday as application is online and you dont pay any money until they actually approve your visa

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Confused 1

I ran into the same problem in Oz back in March,  though they were at least replying to emails regarding the situation and as advised in another thread came in Visa Exempt and changed to non O at my local immigration office.

Easy solution if you already have money in bank.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I believe many Thai Embassies do not update their Visa requirements often. 

In Canada, website is still showing a link for the ThaiPass access, however health insurance was required for the 90 day Non O application last year where I had and used previous valid O-A insurance. It appears there's no change in the Non O health insurance, keep emailing and calling get the low-down or get the Non O in Thailand if you have the 800k here or agent........

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Well yeah it is correct. Thai Consulate in Australia requires 90 day health insurance for a non-imm O Visa or they won't issue the Visa

The attitude of any one country, or immigration office, doesn't make something correct.

Many people used the company I mentioned when health insurance was a requirement by all embassies.

You have to bear in mind that it does not matter how long you intend to stay, a Non O will only allow an initial  90 day stay. An Inbound Travel Insurance of 90 days will meet the requirement of cover for the complete trip. This is how many expats got back during the pandemic, which I suspect included Australians.

Of course you are free to dismiss all that is said.

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

or get the Non O in Thailand if you have the 800k here or agent.....

He is located in Pattaya and the mad hatter at immigration is insisting on the 800k being in bank for 2 months rather than just on day of application. 

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The attitude of any one country, or immigration office, doesn't make something correct.

Many people used the company I mentioned when health insurance was a requirement by all embassies.

You have to bear in mind that it does not matter how long you intend to stay, a Non O will only allow an initial  90 day stay. An Inbound Travel Insurance of 90 days will meet the requirement of cover for the complete trip. This is how many expats got back during the pandemic, which I suspect included Australians.

Of course you are free to dismiss all that is said.

I only saw you linked to AXA insurance. I already stated AXA indicated they don't do 90 day insurance and offered their 12 month insurance for around 13k (by far the cheapest I could find albeit with a 100k baht deductable)

I just can't get my head around having to buy 12 months insurance to meet requirements for a 90 day Visa

Edit: I just tried he other link you gave for the agency/Broker but they only offered 'Tune' travel insurance and they are not on the Thai approved list of health insurance companies for a Visa 

Edited by Pattaya57

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He is located in Pattaya and the mad hatter at immigration is insisting on the 800k being in bank for 2 months rather than just on day of application. 

I'd sure hate to lose your Non O extensions unintentionally whether it be forgetting a re-entry permit or other neglected policy issues throughout the year and have to start over........headaches online at Embassies abroad and numerous 'mad hatters' at numerous offices here.............

3 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I only saw you linked to AXA insurance. I already stated AXA indicated they don't do 90 day insurance and offered their 12 month insurance for around 13k (by far the cheapest I could find albeit with a 100k baht deductable)

I just can't get my head around having to buy 12 months insurance to meet requirements for a 90 day Visa

Edit: I just tried he other link you gave for the agency/Broker but they only offered 'Tune' travel insurance and they are not on the Thai approved list of health insurance companies for a Visa 

The quote from AXA was ref the fact insurance came to an end other than for O-A, O-X and STV visas.

No travel insurance will be on an approved list of health insurance companies,  2 different types of policy. I remember Tune being quite popular when COEs were  required. There is a difference between short term(travel), up to 90 days and long term(health), normally annual.

I used to use AXA, they do both types of policy, but had to change when I went over their age limit for travel insurance.

https://direct.axa.co.th/TA-Inbound/CoverageOptionPlan?tag=axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance

On 7/16/2023 at 10:16 AM, Pattaya57 said:

• What is Tune iPass Insurance?

Tune iPass Insurance of Tune Protect Thailand has been created to protect the visitors entering Thailand and wishing to apply for visa to get  through the immigration checkpoints. The insurance covers the entire period of stay in Thailand of the insured person. A variety of packages is offerred in accordance with the insurance plans and the periods of stay in Thailand.

https://www.tuneprotect.co.th/en/product/travel-insurance/TAIPOCT22

22 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Finally got my Police Clearance back after applying 23 days ago.

Will be switching to O-A visa now since I have to buy 12 months insurance for non-imm O anyway 

On your future OA extensions at immigration, try to make sure your health insurance start date is always close to your extension start date.  When your OA visa expires in one year, your extensions of stay based on your O-A will always be to the date of your health insurance expiry date, which could possibly mean your stamp is less than a year depending on your health insurance validity when you go for yearly extensions....... 

32 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Will be switching to O-A visa now since I have to buy 12 months insurance for non-imm O anyway 

Don't understand what you mean by "switching" 

You must currently be in Oz to be applying for a non O-A.

Not best option imo.

Any ongoing extensions will require insurance.

I'm pretty sure insurance is not required from non O obtained in Oz even if it appears on embassy website.

In 2021 consulates were requiring 3 months of insurance for non O retirement 

If you have a Thai bank account you could have transferred the funds and obtained the non O in Thailand and met the (incorrect) 2 month seasoning that Jomtien requires for non O retirement application. 

• Thumbs Up 2