Upgrading Windows 7 > 10

BenStark

55 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Up to you. I like w11 on both my PCs with no problems whatsoever.

Why use a 10 year old OS when you can have the latest.

Not to mention that, as I have already said, Microsoft will be pulling the plug on supporting Windows 10 from 14 October 2025.

That said, though, the OP appears to have been more than happy to continue with Windows 7 for 3.5 years after Microsoft finally pulled the plug on supporting it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7#:~:text=Mainstream support for Windows 7,ended on January 14%2C 2020.

6 minutes ago, OJAS said:

That said, though, the OP appears to have been more than happy to continue with Windows 7 for 3.5 years after Microsoft finally pulled the plug on supporting it!

Indeed, I haven't had any need or reasons to move on from Windows 7, regardless of the scare mongering on the IT forums.

Much like the covid mask brigade.

I'm also sure millions of people still use Windows versions that preceded W7

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So were you aware that MS will be pulling the plug on Win 10 support from Oct 2025 then, eh, Mr Clever Clogs?

Yes, I know that. Did you think that I did not? He can upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 at any time, for FREE. Did you miss that? But there is no direct FREE upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 11. So those suggesting the OP should do so are the ones who don’t appear to have a clue. 

• Like 2

At least now the OP can see why I get into debates in this forum… because I argue FOR people like him. So he doesn’t get distracted by the nonsense. 
He wants to upgrade to Windows 10 using his existing licence. If he then wants to move to Windows 11, he can do that. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

Because in every topic he wants to push his own, often silly and wrong, opinions, instead of answering the OP.

I have this troll on ignore already

But you still reply to him?

On 7/16/2023 at 12:17 AM, BenStark said:

I finally downloaded the Windows 10 ISO, but I now worry if I can keep all my programs and files using this method.

You can download it, but you will have no support for that new Windows 10 that you will download for free.... So yes the risk of losing stuff and run into problem is there.. It is in other words completelöy useless to do that..

My suggestion is to:

a - Pay for windows 11 instead

b - ALWAYS adhere to instructions to update Windows. By doing that you will get it for free and you will have access to newer versions of Windows......

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, glegolo18 said:

You can download it, but you will have no support for that new Windows 10 that you will download for free

Can you explain why there will be no support, as I understand it will be activated, since I upgrade an official W7.

1 hour ago, glegolo18 said:

My suggestion is to:

As someone else suggested, once I am on W10, I can also upgrade to W11 for free. Isn't that correct?

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 12:17 AM, BenStark said:

I finally decided to upgrade my Windows 7 to 10, I read it is still possible for free. My W7 is activated and I have the product key.

When I tried to do my wife's computer a few years back the free upgrade had expired., I used an upgrade package from another computer.

I am not saying that a work around is not available but the Windows instructions may not work as expected.

Is the Windows 10 free upgrade offer still available?

The Windows 10 free upgrade through the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app ended on July 29, 2016.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq-cce52341-7943-594e-72ce-e1cf00382445

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

When I tried to do my wife's computer a few years back the free upgrade had expired., I used an upgrade package from another computer.

I am not saying that a work around is not available but the Windows instructions may not work as expected.

The Windows 10 free upgrade through the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app ended on July 29, 2016.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq-cce52341-7943-594e-72ce-e1cf00382445

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are making the assumption that the PC would pass the hardware check.

There are so many sites on t'Internet telling you how to do it, even one from Mr Gates himself. Try Tom's Hardware.

5 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Yes, a work around. I tried something similar at the time and run into  problems with the media creation tool. Just because it works for the authors is no guarantee it will work for everyone.

I had another computer that I bought refurbished and that had been upgraded from 7 to 10, copied the upgrade pack from that.

Up to you but I would suggest going to Tukcom and getting a disk.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Yes, a work around. I tried something similar at the time and run into  problems with the media creation tool. Just because it works for the authors is no guarantee it will work for everyone.

I had another computer that I bought refurbished and that had been upgraded from 7 to 10, copied the upgrade pack from that.

If you could have been bothered to read the OP, then you would be aware that the Mediacreation tool error was the reason for starting the thread, but there are ways around that as well

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

There are so many sites on t'Internet telling you how to do it, even one from Mr Gates himself. Try Tom's Hardware.

Garbage, the PC is either up to spec or it isn't, mine isn't.

pc check.JPG

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

If you could have been bothered to read the OP, then you would be aware that the Mediacreation tool error was the reason for starting the thread, but there are ways around that as well

Why post if you have all the answers?

• Haha 1

Just now, sandyf said:

Garbage, the PC is either up to spec or it isn't, mine isn't.

pc check.JPG

Well mine is, but I wonder why you are spreading your "knowledge" here if you can't be bothered to read the OP or any of the other posts.

Welcome to my ignore list, I gather that you are on many already

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why post if you have all the answers?

Why come here only to make an <deleted> of yourself?

32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Post wasn't addressed to you, another false assumption.

No your post was addressed to another member, who hadn't mentioned specs of the PC.

Another arsed post.

Not everyone still uses a PC powered by transistor lamps like you do

Edited by BenStark
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

You can download it, but you will have no support for that new Windows 10 that you will download for free.... So yes the risk of losing stuff and run into problem is there.. It is in other words completelöy useless to do that..

My suggestion is to:

b - ALWAYS adhere to instructions to update Windows. By doing that you will get it for free and you will have access to newer versions of Windows......

????

I think you have misunderstood whatever you have been reading. 
For the purpose of simplification, let us say there are two channels of Windows for distribution to consumers. 
One retail and the other OEM(original equipment manufacturer). 
For the first, support is supposedly supplied by Microsoft, since it has nothing to do with the people who sold you your PC or who built your PC.

The second, support is supposedly supplied by the people who sold/built your PC, since it was actually supplied with the PC. 
Support in this case has nothing to do with updates etc, as both will be fully supported in that way equally. Support means that you can actually call Microsoft when you have problems. 

This is where a lot of people get confused and begin making up all kind of stories of illegality and so forth. 

OEM licences are cheaper because they are supposed to be supported by the people who built/sold you your PC. In this case, the OP has a Gigabyte PC with his Windows 7 being activated under the Gigabyte licence supplied by Microsoft. Gigabyte is expected to give support under this licence. So any upgrade is supposedly also supported under said licence. Of course we know that the PC is no longer under guarantee, so if there are problems with compatibility, a certain amount of self help may be required to find out if some component is not compatible. But the upgrade will be fully and legitimately licenced, even if it’s for free. But the licence stays with that PC. 
The difference with the more expensive Retail channel is that the licence stays with the software. So you can uninstall it from one PC and install it to another ad infinitum. 
I hope that makes it more clear. 

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Can you explain why there will be no support, as I understand it will be activated, since I upgrade an official W7.

As someone else suggested, once I am on W10, I can also upgrade to W11 for free. Isn't that correct?

1. They are mistaken 

2. Yes, you can. The easiest way is to utilise Rufus to download and create the Windows 11 installation media. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You were mistaken. Not your fault; you just believed what you read. No workaround is required, the upgrade works as normal. It was just a way to push as many people into upgrading as possible. No good just having ten people on Windows 10. Don’t believe everything that you read. 

7 minutes ago, NextG said:

The difference with the more expensive Retail channel is that the licence stays with the software. So you can uninstall it from one PC and install it to another ad infinitum. 

I will upgrade my current PC, but I have the components ready to build a complete new one. Gigabyte MB as well.

So I will not be able to move my existing installation to the new one, or are there work arounds..

I read that EaseUS has such an option, to move to different hardware and stay activated.

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

I will upgrade my current PC, but I have the components ready to build a complete new one. Gigabyte MB as well.

So I will not be able to move my existing installation to the new one, or are there work arounds..

I read that EaseUS has such an option, to move to different hardware and stay activated.

No, you won’t be able to do so. Your current Gigabyte Motherboard has a special marker for it’s Windows 7 licence. Your new one won’t have that. 

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

It’s not a workaround; it’s the normal way. It didn’t ever stop. It was just a way to get as many people to upgrade as quickly as possible. 
No need to go to Tukcom, as you can use the Tool to make the latest installation media or to upgrade directly without creating media.