Upgrading Windows 7 > 10

BenStark

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Garbage, the PC is either up to spec or it isn't, mine isn't.

pc check.JPG

Again, not entirely true. Even Microsoft themselves have published how you can bypass that issue. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e

Click through and scroll down to ‘warning:’

Edited by NextG

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

When I tried to do my wife's computer a few years back the free upgrade had expired., I used an upgrade package from another computer.

I am not saying that a work around is not available but the Windows instructions may not work as expected.

Is the Windows 10 free upgrade offer still available?

The Windows 10 free upgrade through the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app ended on July 29, 2016.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq-cce52341-7943-594e-72ce-e1cf00382445

That’s the carefully worded issue… “The “upgrade through the Get Windows 10 app”. In other words it only stopped via that particular application. Tricky eh?

I'm sorry to say the upgrade cannot be done. sure, you can try and try but it's not worth it, and most likely will result in you losing everything.

If, for some reason you have to upgrade your old Win 7 to 10 or 11 then save everything and take it to a shop. It's cheap and they will get it done. There's no other way. 

5 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I'm sorry to say the upgrade cannot be done. sure, you can try and try but it's not worth it, and most likely will result in you losing everything.

If, for some reason you have to upgrade your old Win 7 to 10 or 11 then save everything and take it to a shop. It's cheap and they will get it done. There's no other way. 

Shops aren't Windows licensed, so why would they be able to do something not everyone can do by themselves?

10 minutes ago, Furioso said:

????☺️

This made me smile ???? Are you Trolling the OP?

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Shops aren't Windows licensed, so why would they be able to do something not everyone can do by themselves?

Now you can see how I try to save people from the noise ???? and often they abuse me for it. 

People assert some really incredible things here. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1

Just now, BenStark said:

I don't want you to think I'm a know it all, there's a lot of things I certainly don't know. I have decent experience as I worked in computer shops for 11 years. 

Let's just use a little logic here. You have an old PC, with a license you paid for. Now, many years later you want to upgrade to a new O/S. Yes, the shops know how to do this. They have the experience and the motivation. That Pattaya4U shop, and many others, are outstanding and cheap. Can we perform this upgrade? Nope, not really, it takes a lot of time, lot's of failures, high risk of losing everything, it's Microsoft which means it's a pain in the <deleted>. HUGE PAIN IN THE <deleted>. 

Also, if, for some reason your computer cannot be upgraded. The shop will tell you this, straight to your face. Conversely, if they tell you they can do it, they can and they will. It's great to be here in Thailand and get this outstanding customer service, for orders of magnitude cheaper than back in our home country. 

On 7/16/2023 at 8:51 AM, h90 said:

First of all make a complete backup.....

Even better buy a complete new SSD and take out the old one before the upgrade...

If everything is broken and gone, you can go back to what you have.

If it is me, I would buy a new SSD, take out the old one.

Make a fresh install of Win10 on the new SSD install what I need.

Put in the old SSD so I can dual boot in case I forgot something.

Upgrade and keeping everything without a backup is digital russian roulette

Best advice yet. I trust MicroSlut as far as I can throw the state of Washington.

When I moved here I left my win7 desktop at home and bought a win10 laptop. I regret it every day. Eventually I'll have to move to linux.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Are those cheap licenses sold on lazada and the likes trustable?

You don’t need to buy a licence… not even if you want to install Windows 10 or 11 Pro. 
It’s easy when you know how. No hacks necessary. 

You need a minimum of 8GB RAM, and SSD drive, and the equivalent of a Intel i3 processor or it will be almost unusable.

On 7/16/2023 at 8:58 AM, KannikaP said:

Up to you. I like w11 on both my PCs with no problems whatsoever.

Why use a 10 year old OS when you can have the latest.

Because it more than likely won't run on his 10 year old hardware.

Edited by connda
  • Sad 1

Just now, BenStark said:

I obviously mean for my new to build PC

Forgot about the new PC. 
Don’t worry about the cheap licences. A reliable vendor will make sure that you get up and running. Cheap doesn’t mean that it won’t work. 

1 minute ago, connda said:

You need a minimum of 8GB RAM, and SSD drive, and the equivalent of a Intel i7 processor or it will be almost unusable.

Because it more than likely won't run on his 10 year old hardware.

The posts here are becoming more and more outlandish ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, NextG said:

Just out of interest… Did you buy your PC with Windows 7 Ultimate installed or did someone help you to install it?

My old PC I built myself, and activated with the Gigabyte OEM license later. Was done through a BIOS update.

My new PC I purchased all the components, and will put it together sometime in the future

9 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Best advice yet. I trust MicroSlut as far as I can throw the state of Washington.

When I moved here I left my win7 desktop at home and bought a win10 laptop. I regret it every day. Eventually I'll have to move to linux.

I actually agree with this. SSD are so cheap now, that it may be worth cloning his Windows 7 installation in case not everything carries over successfully. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, BenStark said:

My old PC I built myself, and activated with the Gigabyte OEM license later. Was done through a BIOS update.

My new PC I purchased all the components, and will put it together sometime in the future

I’m thinking that I might have been the one who helped you with that at the time. 

47 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Are those cheap licenses sold on lazada and the likes trustable?

Got mine off Ebay in UK for 7 quid. Works perfectly on a 6 year old Celeron NUC, 8GB RAM & 250GB SSD.

Edited by KannikaP

41 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

You can install windows 10 superlite, or you can use openshell and O&OShutup and some more tweaks to have a pretty good system.

But if you install and uninstall things it still get slower and slower....

Problem with Win10 is that it constantly get worse...previously turned off services are running after updates and you have no permission to stop them on your own PC......

I had to play around with Linux on an OrangePi recently....it is also not a mainstream system....currently it can't be updated because with an update Klipper won't work anymore and since month there is no fix from Debian.

I think Microsoft is already far behind Linux...when you consider that NAS, internet router, Android phones, Smart TVs all run on Linux

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I have some trouble with the notion that advising people that linux should be considered as an alternative to upgrading an ancient o/s on ancient hardware when they clearly don't want to pay for a windows license is off topic

Sorry, but what does any of that mean. First of all, his reply was for someone who has Windows 10 installed. 
Secondly and most importantly, the OP has a legitimate licence to upgrade to Windows 10 or 11 Pro as an upgrade or a clean install. There’s no need for them to pay for another licence. If you are going to comment, at least take the time to understand the subject to which you reply. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NextG said:

Sorry, but what does any of that mean. First of all, his reply was for someone who has Windows 10 installed. 
Secondly and most importantly, the OP has a legitimate licence to upgrade to Windows 10 or 11 Pro as an upgrade or a clean install. There’s no need for them to pay for another licence. If you are going to comment, at least take the time to understand the subject to which you reply. 

Title is about upgrading from windows 7.

12 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Backup SSD just arrived WD Green 240GB, 419 baht, no a bad deal for new disk with 3 year Synnex warranty

I prefer something with DRAM. Though saying that, I do put cheapies in older equipment. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1