Upgrading Windows 7 > 10

BenStark

5 minutes ago, BenStark said:

No idea how to know which SSD use Dram, but I think always can better, and the sky is the limit

Most popular names with DRAM would be Samsung EVO 870, Crucial MX500, some Western Digital Blue… Though for most people the cheapies are fine. I use cheap in my inexpensive second hand devices. SSD with DRAM in my higher performance devices. 

5 hours ago, NextG said:

You were mistaken. Not your fault; you just believed what you read. No workaround is required, the upgrade works as normal. It was just a way to push as many people into upgrading as possible. No good just having ten people on Windows 10. Don’t believe everything that you read. 

Are you trying to say that Microsoft did not bring the free upgrade using "Get Windows Now" to an end in 2016?

5 hours ago, NextG said:

as you can use the Tool to make the latest installation media or to upgrade directly without creating media.

Unless I am mistaken the OP was about the downloaded media tool not working.

That being the case why not go out and buy one.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, NextG said:

Again, not entirely true. Even Microsoft themselves have published how you can bypass that issue. 

You are wrong there is no bypass.

All Microsoft has said is you can install on a unsupported processor but there will be no updates.

I will be pushing up daisies before Win 11 updates are insignificant.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, NextG said:

That’s the carefully worded issue… “The “upgrade through the Get Windows 10 app”. In other words it only stopped via that particular application. Tricky eh?

In other words it became a workaround.

Just like the OP I had an issue with the workaround media creation tool, but I resolved it myself.

24 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Are you trying to say that Microsoft did not bring the free upgrade using "Get Windows Now" to an end in 2016?

That is exactly what I am saying. 
They pulled a fast one. They actually meant that you couldn’t use that particular application to do it. But you could use their other applications to do so. Many people fell for it and rushed to upgrade. Then they could say that Windows 10 was a success because millions upgraded. Too many people loved Windows 7. They had to do something ????

Unless I am mistaken the OP was about the downloaded media tool not working.

That being the case why not go out and buy one.

???? It’s not necessary. I didn’t look at the particular error because at the time of posting he had already managed to obtain the necessary media. 
I think in the past I have tried to help you with these things, but perhaps you didn’t understand. 
This is something of which I have some knowledge; not a lot, but more than available at Tukcom. 

33 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Just like the OP I had an issue with the workaround media creation tool, but I resolved it myself.

I guess you will argue until the cows come home, even though I have to a link to an OFFICIAL Microsoft page showing that it will work normally. Did you even look at it or did you simply not understand what you read?

What they say is that because your device does not meet the minimum requirements they cannot GUARANTEE everything will work. Think about it. If you have a fifteen year old device, can you imagine that they found one of those and tested it comprehensively with Windows 11? That’s what they mean when they state that they cannot guarantee that everything will work as it might. But that doesn’t mean that it won’t. 

E01184CF-703A-40DE-8020-2753A914B112.jpeg

Edited by NextG

Wrong again. The original method was the ‘workaround’ ???? Then it reverted to the usual method. It was just a method to press people into thinking that there was a deadline. Then people started to notice that upgrades were working as normal afterwards and in fact there were even more methods to do so. You just aren’t getting it. You had the wool pulled over your eyes. 

5 hours ago, NextG said:

Most popular names with DRAM would be Samsung EVO 870, Crucial MX500, some Western Digital Blue… Though for most people the cheapies are fine. I use cheap in my inexpensive second hand devices. SSD with DRAM in my higher performance devices. 

Err sorry,

These units are SSD's and use nonvolatile NAND in a tri-level cell storage setup. DRAM is volatile memory used on the system-board and as the cache in HDD's, i.e. they loose their contents when power is removed.

On 7/16/2023 at 8:51 AM, KannikaP said:

Why not go the whole way and install W11.

The installation criteria can easily be bypassed.

Yes windows 11 is way to go.  They did a fine job.  Has many new features. There is an easy to follow youtube vid on how to install,  even on unsupported hardware . Involves modifying one of the files.  Appraisers. Dll or something like that. PM me if you need guidance. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, howto said:

Err sorry,

These units are SSD's and use nonvolatile NAND in a tri-level cell storage setup. DRAM is volatile memory used on the system-board and as the cache in HDD's, i.e. they loose their contents when power is removed.

It’s always best to do at least some cursory research before you embarrass yourself on an open forum: 

60F6FA39-2E86-4C8B-9CE3-43DF9173EDA4.thumb.jpeg.ccac46c281956162ab6e74622344234c.jpeg

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

Yes windows 11 is way to go.  They did a fine job.  Has many new features. There is an easy to follow youtube vid on how to install,  even on unsupported hardware . Involves modifying one of the files.  Appraisers. Dll or something like that. PM me if you need guidance. 

☺️
You don’t even know what needs to be modified but yet you are offering guidance… via PM?

Novices shouldn’t touch the Registry. The easiest way for a novice to do this is to use Rufus to create the installation media. 
https://rufus.ie/en/

It can even download it for you if you enable the option for it to Check For Updates. Once done and you are ready to create the USB installation media, Click Start and you will be presented with the option to bypass TPM 2.0 et al. 

7 minutes ago, NextG said:

☺️
You don’t even know what needs to be modified but yet you are offering guidance… via PM?

Novices shouldn’t touch the Registry. The easiest way for a novice to do this is to use Rufus to create the installation media. 
https://rufus.ie/en/

It can even download it for you if you enable the option for it to Check For Updates. Once done and you are ready to create the USB installation media, Click Start and you will be presented with the option to bypass TPM 2.0 et al. 

How presumptuous of you.   Yes I do know.  Its all in a youtube video. 

Youtube search win 11 appraisers and you will find a few videos showing the method.  So no need to PM me now. If you do get stuck of course I can still offer my friendly professional advice. Girl problems,  money problems,  whatever.  Always happy to help. 

3 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

How presumptuous of you.   Yes I do know.  Its all in a youtube video. 

Youtube search win 11 appraisers and you will find a few videos showing the method.  So no need to PM me now. If you do get stuck of course I can still offer my friendly professional advice. Girl problems,  money problems,  whatever.  Always happy to help. 

As I stated, no need to modify anything. Just use Rufus. 

7 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Or no need to use rufus just modify a file. 

Don’t be silly now. The image doesn’t just jump off the page. You still have to download it and if necessary, create USB installation media. Rufus can handle the whole process. No one needs to send you a PM to do so. Dodgy. 

Theoretical new question.

Suppose I update old PC first to W10 and later to W11, and it all works.

I then move the SSD to the new PC.

Wil it not work at all, and I lose everything, or will it work but license revoked, and I have to enter new license code and reactivate again?

56 minutes ago, NextG said:

Don’t be silly now. The image doesn’t just jump off the page. You still have to download it and if necessary, create USB installation media. Rufus can handle the whole process. No one needs to send you a PM to do so. Dodgy. 

I'm not being silly. Just giving someone a perfectly valid way to install win 11 which you have somehow taken offence to.  You can use your rufus method. Nothing wrong with it. I prefer my way. 

1 minute ago, TimeMachine said:

I'm not being silly. Just giving someone a perfectly valid way to install win 11 which you have somehow taken offence to.  You can use your rufus method. Nothing wrong with it. I prefer my way. 

This was the give away that you have no idea, and your advice by PM would be limited to the YouTube link

14 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Dll or something like that

28 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Wil it not work at all, and I lose everything, or will it work but license revoked, and I have to enter new license code and reactivate again?

I have done it before with win 10. Swapped over to different PC and all fine.  But depends on hardware.  I cant guarantee all good.  Worth a try.  As always backup your important info. Your data can disappear at any second for many reasons.  Always backup important stuff.

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

This was the give away that you have no idea, and your advice by PM would be limited to the YouTube link

Again. How very presumptuous.  Like I said if you get stuck with the basic youtube how to then PM me with what the problem is. Ill guide you to success.  There would be the outcome of a nice shiny new win 11 OS on your computer.  Always happy to be helpful.

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

There’s a good likelihood that it will work, but the OS require reactivating. If it does, you may have success with telephone activation, rather than needing to buy a new licence. 
Is the point of this that you want to keep certain programs that you have on the Windows 7 device in order to transfer them to the newly built machine, rather than having two PCs?

There are also the possibility  of having two bootable drives on one device. 
Perhaps think about your ideal configuration and then work towards making that possible. 
What is you have a Windows 7 program that doesn’t transfer to Windows 11 64-bit? All may be fine, but with PCs, best to take a belt and braces approach. 

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

There’s a good likelihood that it will work, but the OS require reactivating. If it does, you may have success with telephone activation, rather than needing to buy a new licence. 
Is the point of this that you want to keep certain programs that you have on the Windows 7 device in order to transfer them to the newly built machine, rather than having two PCs?

There are also the possibility  of having two bootable drives on one device. 
Perhaps think about your ideal configuration and then work towards making that possible. 
What is you have a Windows 7 program that doesn’t transfer to Windows 11 64-bit? All may be fine, but with PCs, best to take a belt and braces approach. 

The old PC will be retired when the new one is built.

If there is a program that isn't compatible that can be updated, and I can afford 500 baht for a license from Lazada.

My main concern is that it not loads at all in the new PC, and that i have to do a fresh install