Upgrading Windows 7 > 10

BenStark

5 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I already told you that WD Blue(SATA) is fitted with DRAM, that post was deleted for being off-topic. 
The point that I was making is the PCIe connected SSD are capable of much higher performance. Transfer speeds for instance of up to 7,500 MB/s in comparison to around 500 MB/s for the SATA 3 interface. IOPS too, much higher. 

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

I already told you that WD Blue(SATA) is fitted with DRAM, that post was deleted for being off-topic. 
The point that I was making is the PCIe connected SSD are capable of much higher performance. Transfer speeds for instance of up to 7,500 MB/s in comparison to around 500 MB/s for the SATA 3 interface. IOPS too, much higher. 

I already said it has Nand

WD Blue 3D is equiped with DRAM memory, and a TLC NAND flash memory with 64 cell layers.

WD Blue 3D is using a TLC (3 bits per cell) NAND manufacurted by SanDisk with 64 cell layers on top of each other.

The TLC is the most common type of SSD NAND flash memory found on the market at the moment. It is faster, less durable, but still cheaper than the other, more expensive variants - SLC and MLC.

And the PCIe versions has NO Dram

image.png.eda644152d3ad2f555194a78cd2845ee.png

Edited by BenStark

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

WD Blue 3D is equiped with DRAM memory, and a TLC NAND flash memory with 64 cell layers.

WD Blue 3D is using a TLC (3 bits per cell) NAND manufacurted by SanDisk with 64 cell layers on top of each other.

The TLC is the most common type of SSD NAND flash memory found on the market at the moment. It is faster, less durable, but still cheaper than the other, more expensive variants - SLC and MLC.

I already answered that and that post got deleted too. Those things are not connected. NAND has nothing to do with it. 
Think of it this way. Imagine you old PC with an HDD and say 4GB of RAM. 
The HDD is slow, the RAM fast. Same for SSD. The NAND is the slow part, the DRAM is the fast part. If the SSD doesn’t have DRAM it has to use slower NAND to store the information, resulting in poorer performance, especially with large data sets. 

10 minutes ago, BenStark said:

And the PCIe versions has NO Dram

image.png.eda644152d3ad2f555194a78cd2845ee.png

The WDSN500 is a poor example of a PCIe SSD, just as WD Green SSD is a poor example of a SATA SSD. 

20 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Although you just suggested that one in the other thread

Of course I did not ☺️ I have not ever linked to a WD product, especially such a low performance model. 
MJCM in this particular thread linked to a WD Black NVMe(PCIe) SSD:

NAND is simply a storage technology that retains information even without a power source. In it’s simplest terms the best NAND is SLC, a 1 or a 0 per cell. One bit of information per cell, but you can only make lower capacity drives from it and it’s expensive. Next MLC; two bits of information per cell. Cheaper but lower performance. Followed by TLC and QLC. TLC and QLC are utilised in cheaper consumer drives. It’s not a mark of highest quality. 3D NAND is just a way of stacking the cells for a higher capacity in a given space. 

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

Of course I did not ☺️ I have not ever linked to a WD product, especially such a low performance model. 
MJCM in this particular thread linked to a WD Black NVMe(PCIe) SSD:

In the other thread about the WD Blue you suggested in a now removed post if my MB didn't support PCIe, you didn't make any mention of any other brand.

This discussion has now ended please move on to another thread

5 minutes ago, BenStark said:

In the other thread about the WD Blue you suggested in a now removed post if my MB didn't support PCIe, you didn't make any mention of any other brand.

Of course I didn’t mention any brand. It was off-topic so I suggested that we move here to discuss it. I have no idea of what Motherboard is involved, so we haven’t got to the point of discussing NVMe SSD yet because you insisted on arguing about NAND etc
So would you like help in choosing a decent NVMe drive or not? Or is your heart set on a SATA drive? 
I really have no idea what goes on in the brains of people here. They seem to love to fight with the people who try to help them. 

We aren’t fighting ???? I’m simply putting you right in your misconceptions with regard to certain technologies. It’s not personal. Take it easy and use the opportunity to gain useful knowledge that you can use to help yourself and pass on to others. 

28 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I asked you if it DID support PCIe drives. Maybe you misunderstood the question. 
In other words; if it does, you might want to consider one over a SATA drive. Don’t get het up. I’m trying to help. Any antagonism is only imagined inside your brain. I’m happy to help and discuss until you are happy that you have made the best decision for your needs. 

The point was to make sure that you understood the option of a PCIe drive BEFORE you sprung for a SATA drive. Your other thread gave me the clue that you were in the market for a WD Blue SATA drive. Understand now?

But because your other thread was to do with dodgy sellers, I suggested that we moved here to discuss the technical aspects. 
I’m on your side, so stop attacking me ????

Edited by NextG

On 7/18/2023 at 10:51 AM, NextG said:
On 7/18/2023 at 9:06 AM, howto said:

Err sorry,

These units are SSD's and use nonvolatile NAND in a tri-level cell storage setup. DRAM is volatile memory used on the system-board and as the cache in HDD's, i.e. they loose their contents when power is removed.

It’s always best to do at least some cursory research before you embarrass yourself on an open forum: 

60F6FA39-2E86-4C8B-9CE3-43DF9173EDA4.thumb.jpeg.ccac46c281956162ab6e74622344234c.jpeg

I refer you to the official Samsung data sheet, there you will see LPDDR4 is the cache and not the V-NAND.

https://download.semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/data-sheet/Samsung_SSD_870_EVO_Data_Sheet_Rev1.1.pdf 

Most if not all SSD's will use this or the LPDDR5. In addition many phones/tablets also use this type ram. In closing I stand by what I originally posted. Sir, I respectfully submit that you may now eat crow. I do not expect an apology.

Do have a good day.

- howto

3 hours ago, howto said:

I refer you to the official Samsung data sheet, there you will see LPDDR4 is the cache and not the V-NAND.

https://download.semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/data-sheet/Samsung_SSD_870_EVO_Data_Sheet_Rev1.1.pdf 

Most if not all SSD's will use this or the LPDDR5. In addition many phones/tablets also use this type ram. In closing I stand by what I originally posted. Sir, I respectfully submit that you may now eat crow. I do not expect an apology.

Do have a good day.

- howto

Who said the DRAM was TLC NAND?! ????

Has everyone gone mad here?

Are you trying to ‘gaslight’ me? ☺️

I wrote: “Most popular names with DRAM would be Samsung EVO 870, Crucial MX500, some Western Digital Blue… Though for most people the cheapies are fine. I use cheap in my inexpensive second hand devices. SSD with DRAM in my higher performance devices.”

Nothing about cache at all. 

You wrote: “

Err sorry,

These units are SSD's and use nonvolatile NAND in a tri-level cell storage setup. DRAM is volatile memory used on the system-board and as the cache in HDD's, i.e. they loose their contents when power is removed.”

It looked very much like you were stating the SSD didn’t have DRAM at all, but only TLC NAND. ???? You clearly stated that DRAM is utilised on Motherboard as the cache for HDD and that SSD were just TLC NAND. 
Added to that, many SSD don’t have DRAM at all. That goes against your statement of “most, if not all…” ☺️You are just making it up as you go along….and it shows ????

Is there a full moon or something? So many people acting strangely of late. 

Edited by NextG

On 7/18/2023 at 8:36 AM, BenStark said:

Can you explain why there will be no support, as I understand it will be activated, since I upgrade an official W7.

As someone else suggested, once I am on W10, I can also upgrade to W11 for free. Isn't that correct?

I am NOT claiming to be a computer-wizard, but this has happened to me earlier for a few years ago.  I had Windows 7, I disregarded every damn message from windows regarding upgrade, and eventually all offers of free upgrade, was out the window, and I have to start all over and buy a new version of windows.

So now when Windows 11 came and I was sitting with Windows 10, you can imagine that when offer come to upgrade to window 11 - I took it in a heartbeat...

So just remember , The offers of free upgrade is NOT forever. so do it as soon as you get one of these offers..

Good luck

Glegolo

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

I am NOT claiming to be a computer-wizard, but this has happened to me earlier for a few years ago.  I had Windows 7, I disregarded every damn message from windows regarding upgrade, and eventually all offers of free upgrade, was out the window, and I have to start all over and buy a new version of windows.

So now when Windows 11 came and I was sitting with Windows 10, you can imagine that when offer come to upgrade to window 11 - I took it in a heartbeat...

So just remember , The offers of free upgrade is NOT forever. so do it as soon as you get one of these offers..

Good luck

Glegolo

The free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 hasn’t ever ended. Not even for a single day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, NextG said:

The free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 hasn’t ever ended. Not even for a single day. 

I have out in my hallway a so called thai computer that I bought here.. In the end the message I got regarding the ev upgrade was that the support now have ended for Window 7 and it ended also with a free upgrade to windows 10....

That is what happened here, why we have different experience in this I have no clue at all..... I live in Thailand, you?????

9 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

I have out in my hallway a so called thai computer that I bought here.. In the end the message I got regarding the ev upgrade was that the support now have ended for Window 7 and it ended also with a free upgrade to windows 10....

That is what happened here, why we have different experience in this I have no clue at all..... I live in Thailand, you?????

It’s very hard to read what you have written…but we have covered all of this earlier in this thread. What you saw was access to a specific application: Get Windows 10 application (GWX.exe) being ended. You could still upgrade via every other channel. But of course most consumers would have no idea of this and you can see, here alone, how resistant people here are to being told anything otherwise to what they believe. 
I spend most of the time on this forum ‘dumbing down’ my replies, many people take offence at the slightest suggestion that they are wrong ????

Just believe me. The free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 has been continuous. It’s only the avenue from that particular application that stopped. It was just a marketing trick. Sorry. 

22 hours ago, BenStark said:

Although you just suggested that one in the other thread

I’ll happily have a discussion with you, via PM if you wish, on the in and outs of PCIe. 

Just because an NVMe SSD doesn’t have DRAM doesn’t make it inferior to a SATA SSD with DRAM. There are other factors involved. 
What I meant by a poor example of NVMe SSD is that the model that you have pictured only utilises two lanes out of four; PCIe 3.0 x2 as opposed to say PCIe 3.0 x4, which would be the full utilisation. 
But if your new Motherboard has a PCIe 4.0 interface, you can achieve even more. 
Of course none of this may matter to you. But others reading the thread might find it of interest. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/16/2023 at 8:54 AM, BenStark said:
On 7/16/2023 at 8:49 AM, NextG said:

Follow ONLY steps 4, 5 & 6 here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html

This is just what you might need if you ever decide to run a clean install at some point. Store the Genuine Ticket someone safely in the cloud or on an external drive. It’s not need for the upgrade. 

Expand  

I just clicked on that link and it tells me it's a clean install, which I understand as not an upgrade, so I lose all files or have to reinstall everything.

Right?

Looks like this didn't get answered, so will I keep all my files and programs by following step 4.5 & 6?

38 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Looks like this didn't get answered, so will I keep all my files and programs by following step 4.5 & 6?

It’s nothing to do with any of that. It’s just taking a snapshot of the fact that your Windows 7 activation is genuine. It’s just like a key that you can apply to a clean install of Windows 10 on the same device. Nothing to do with your files at all. 

5 minutes ago, NextG said:

It’s nothing to do with any of that. It’s just taking a snapshot of the fact that your Windows 7 activation is genuine. It’s just like a key that you can apply to a clean install of Windows 10 on the same device. Nothing to do with your files at all. 

Maybe you could just be less cryptic answer with yes or no.

Will following steps 4,5 & 6 in the below link preserve all my programs and data?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html

23 hours ago, NextG said:

It’s very hard to read what you have written…but we have covered all of this earlier in this thread. What you saw was access to a specific application: Get Windows 10 application (GWX.exe) being ended. You could still upgrade via every other channel. But of course most consumers would have no idea of this and you can see, here alone, how resistant people here are to being told anything otherwise to what they believe. 
I spend most of the time on this forum ‘dumbing down’ my replies, many people take offence at the slightest suggestion that they are wrong ????

Just believe me. The free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 has been continuous. It’s only the avenue from that particular application that stopped. It was just a marketing trick. Sorry. 

Alright, me bad, thanks for the lesson, BTW you write wonderful english, pity though you had such a hard time to understand it...

5 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

Alright, me bad, thanks for the lesson, BTW you write wonderful english, pity though you had such a hard time to understand it...

I’m actually not that good at interpreting mistakes in English. My foreign friends who speak English are much better at it than I. I’m a say what I mean and mean what I say person. 

33 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

If you need any help with upgrading, just let me know ????