Can't buy any electronics at physical shops anymore. Why so much difference from online?

FarangFB

Along with online will have the latest version of products.  Some things, laptops, go obsolete in 3-6months, same with phones.  Anything current, and the brick & mortar version may have to order it anyway.

Two possible reasons come to my mind:

If the shop has to pay for the devices which they have in stock, then they have some risk and that risk costs money.

I guess that some people, maybe many, want to pay monthly rates. Maybe the advertised prices are based on that. And maybe if you tell them you pay cash you will get a good discount - maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

online you can check reviews also.

Plus, I can maybe find reviews in English, or, otherwise, paste and copy them into Google Translate. The only English words one can get out of (incompetent and useless) staff at shops are: "No English..."

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Recently bought a fan from a dealer on Lazada. Including delivery and tip to delivery man; 600 baht. Exactly the same one in BIC C; 899 baht. But they did have a bigger range of colours.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, FarangFB said:

Wifey asked for a new washing machine. We went around town at different big retailers, I got photos of 3 models (around 28-33k) that she wanted and came home to do a little bit of research.

I am ok paying let's say 10% more at a physical shop because I can see the product and mostly because they'll install it for me. 

However, found the same models at Lazada at the manufacturer store for 7-8k cheaper on each model. That's like a 25% premium they're charging. At this point it's just offensive.

Similar thing happened when I wanted a nice TV last year, they asked for 55k at the shop and I managed to get it online for 36k. They were upselling for over 50%!

Just had to let it out, thanks!

Obviously isn't it, this is the same in many western countries, most offline retailers are gone and if you do buy it you pay quite a bit more. Renting a building, all the extra staff, aircon bills for the building etc etc.

To pay all those kind of costs, aside of usually having free delivery or installation services, makes it easily 20-30% more expensive. But can be worth it too, warranty handling for example.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

23 hours ago, FarangFB said:

new washing machine.

Look at Samsungs official shop on Lazada. 

You can arrange installation and great after service warranty.

Front loaders are energy efficient and generally clean the clothes better. 

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/home-appliances/what-are-the-differences-between-the-front-load-and-top-load-washing-machines/

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Obviously isn't it, this is the same in many western countries, most offline retailers are gone and if you do buy it you pay quite a bit more. Renting a building, all the extra staff, aircon bills for the building etc etc.

To pay all those kind of costs, aside of usually having free delivery or installation services, makes it easily 20-30% more expensive. But can be worth it too, warranty handling for example.

Partially agree....but, in the West (UK specifically) your rights to warranty, return etc are actually stronger than if you bought it in person. Installation (and removal of the old item) is often free or at least the price is clearly shown. That's assuming you buy from a reputable supplier, of course.

Example: last month my old fridge-freezer died. I realised this at 4 AM and in the time of 3 hours, I compared models and prices online, selected one to be delivered the next day and paid including a small "delivery charge" (£25) which included the supplier delivering to any room of my choice in my UPSTAIRS flat, taking away the old one and all the packing.

I realise this is slightly :offtopic: for this forum but if the situation in Thailand is comparable then I suggest that online is best choice.

On 7/17/2023 at 9:41 AM, FarangFB said:

Wifey asked for a new washing machine. We went around town at different big retailers, I got photos of 3 models (around 28-33k) that she wanted and came home to do a little bit of research.

I am ok paying let's say 10% more at a physical shop because I can see the product and mostly because they'll install it for me. 

However, found the same models at Lazada at the manufacturer store for 7-8k cheaper on each model. That's like a 25% premium they're charging. At this point it's just offensive.

Similar thing happened when I wanted a nice TV last year, they asked for 55k at the shop and I managed to get it online for 36k. They were upselling for over 50%!

Just had to let it out, thanks!

You can always look at the demo models in the store, select one you want, compare the price with the online one and order the cheapest at the cheapest price. Take care to order an online one from a reputable supplier though for price warranty delivery installation etc...

Brick and mortar stores have staff, overheads and profit to cover.

Not really hard is it.

• Like 1

You should relabel the subject line.

Yes - you can buy electronics and appliances online - or - at a physical store.
And yes - you may get better deals online, although if you shop around you may get better deals 'on sale' at a physical store. 

The key word here is being a thrifty consumer who is willing to seek out the best prices.  Try printing out the Lazada prices and taking them to a retailer and challenge them to beat the price online.  Sometimes you can get a bargain.  Sometimes you can't.

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Partially agree....but, in the West (UK specifically) your rights to warranty, return etc are actually stronger than if you bought it in person. Installation (and removal of the old item) is often free or at least the price is clearly shown. That's assuming you buy from a reputable supplier, of course.

Example: last month my old fridge-freezer died. I realised this at 4 AM and in the time of 3 hours, I compared models and prices online, selected one to be delivered the next day and paid including a small "delivery charge" (£25) which included the supplier delivering to any room of my choice in my UPSTAIRS flat, taking away the old one and all the packing.

I realise this is slightly :offtopic: for this forum but if the situation in Thailand is comparable then I suggest that online is best choice.

I bought mine from Powerbuy (walk-in). Got the online price, confirmed next-day delivery, free installation, and free removal of the old machine.

Not saying that online is a bad choice, just saying that walk-in can also be excellent and super easy. 

5 hours ago, rwill said:

I know that places like Powerbuy you will find cheaper prices ordering it online from them than in the store.

Even Homepro has 10% off for online orders.

Then they deliver free from the local store.

I go along to the shop, select what I want, then order it then and there on my phone app.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I've got both.

Samsung's a great brand.

Dancing in the moonlight? 

Like most brands, Samsung also has hits and misses. The very cheap ones are made by TCL and rebranded as Samsung. You get what you pay for. 

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, CecilM said:

Like most brands, Samsung also has hits and misses. The very cheap ones are made by TCL and rebranded as Samsung. You get what you pay for. 

Yes.

TCL has some nice tv's at great prices.

I've had great after service from them after buying there products. 

On 7/17/2023 at 4:49 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

The only English words one can get out of (incompetent and useless) staff at shops are: "No English..."

Would those be the Thai staff working in a Thai store in Thailand, 99.9% of whose customers are Thai-speaking Thais?   I'd suggest that the foreigners who refer to them as "incompetent and useless" are, themselves, just that, particularly the ones who live here and are married to Thais and cannot speak Thai.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/17/2023 at 3:10 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

You are aware big stores have overhead...staff utilities shipping costs rent etc....?

as opposed to keeping in a warehouse or even ordering it from a 3rd party

also if bought from a store you have a receipt and usually some sort of warranty

as opposed to trying to return a big buy to some random online seller..

is like buying a steak or going out to eat the same steak...you are paying for the experience

and convenience--same as 7-11 prices

There's usually a 7-day return and immediate replacement policy at most retail shops. After that, repairs and warranty issues are handled by service centers, so it doesn't make much difference really.

If I want to buy a big item, for example a washing machine, I check retail stores and online stores to find the best deal.

On 7/17/2023 at 5:04 PM, owl sees all said:

Recently bought a fan from a dealer on Lazada. Including delivery and tip to delivery man; 600 baht. Exactly the same one in BIC C; 899 baht. 

899 baht? That's 50% higher!  Outrageous!!!