Renting a condo for 12 months on a 2 months Tourist Visa

Hi all, i have been to Thailand once in the beginning of the year for three months and i already want to go back, i decided to learn Thai and get an education visa but that will be done after i get to Thailand, i will first arrive on a tourist 2 month visa. 

So now i am looking to rent a condo for 12 months for me and my SO, I have been looking all over the internet but i haven't found any conclusive information on the legalities for foreigners, it seems that i would be allowed to rent a condo with any type of visa for any amount of time i would like but i just can't find any official information to confirm it. Does anyone know any sources that i could read? Also i would like to know the steps involved in such a procedure, for example, can the owner send me a contract that i just sign digitally? I own a valid passport but i haven't gotten my visa yet.

Thank you!!

Edited by SolGr
typos
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/17/2023 at 1:16 PM, CartagenaWarlock said:

Wow, quality tourists want step by step instructions for renting an apartment. Only in Thailand. 

I might have missunderstood your comment, but are you referring to me? are you trying to insult me for some reason? 

Anyway, i was actually looking for information on how to proceed with the paperwork while not staying in Thailand, not how to rent a house, i am still very greatfull to the person that took the time to explain it, thank you. I figured i can get the papers scanned and emailed, print them out, sign them and send them back through email, or use some e-sign service. My SO is Thai, we are already renting a condo in her name, i would just prefer it if it was moved to my name since i would be the primary resident at that place. We are renting directly with the owner, she is a kind old lady but she doesnt know anything about the law regarding foreigners so i had to look it up.

Thank you to everyone that replied, my biggest worry was the Visa, since i can rent even before i get my Visa everything else is a non issue. 

• Like 1

I would just wait until you are here and do the paperwork then. Make sure everything is clear and you document everything in the place and anything that may be faulty or missing. You will be responsible for everything. Like it was said before. You do not need any special visa to rent a property. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/17/2023 at 5:13 PM, FriendlyFarang said:

signed copy of owner's ID card, and house book of the condo

You will not be able to extend your visa without a TM30 having been done so ask for signed in blue ink copies of the above docs AND the house book of the owners address to be provided as a condition of lease signing.

12 minutes ago, mokwit said:

You will not be able to extend your visa without a TM30 having been done so ask for signed in blue ink copies of the above docs AND the house book of the owners address to be provided as a condition of lease signing.

Good information from mokwit  Follow that advice!

On 7/17/2023 at 5:19 PM, FritsSikkink said:

1 month rent in advance and 1 month deposit.

Times are changing, and many are asking for 2 months deposit.  I don't personally agree with this, and the agents/owners are looking for any way possible to avoid returning your deposit, especially if you want to leave a few days or weeks early!

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

Times are changing, and many are asking for 2 months deposit.  I don't personally agree with this, and the agents/owners are looking for any way possible to avoid returning your deposit, especially if you want to leave a few days or weeks early!

It's always been like this (which is what you are really saying, no?) - usually 2 months seen as non returnable "key money " despite being clearly defined as a deposit in the lease.". A friend took a deposit keeping Landlady to court and the decision was to split the two months being kept down the middle. One month asked is a good sign, three months asked, run don't walk. If no price on an ad you will likely be asked "how much you give me?" when asking what the price is. Again, run don't walk, don't have anything to do with "how much you give me?" types.

Decent, fair, honest local Landlords exist, but seem to be an extreme minority, so  you have to assume the opposite.

Edited by mokwit

3 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Yes, times are changing. They were allowed to ask for 2 months deposit but not anymore unless they own less than 5 condo's.