RFK Jr. hearing puts censorship, misinformation fights at center stage

Social Media

image.png

A House hearing Thursday featuring Democratic presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. brought the complicated debate about balancing free speech with fighting misinformation to center stage.

Some of the debate played out in real time among members of Congress and the hearing witness.

A House hearing Thursday featuring Democratic presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. brought the complicated debate about balancing free speech with fighting misinformation to center stage.

Some of the debate played out in real time among members of Congress and the hearing witness.

“If you want to cut him off and censor him some more, you’re welcome to do it,” House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) said, eliciting laughs in the room.

Kennedy’s extensive history of sharing anti-vaccine views online was the center of Thursday’s debate over how social media companies moderate content. 

FULL STORY

THEHILL-250.png

Just what America does not need is another politician spouting conspiracy theories with no evidence.

People worldwide have proven for centuries that a large percentage of people will fall for scam after scam and believe just about anything without ever seriously saying SHOW me the EVIDENCE or being skeptical of outlandish claims.  Con men love these people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

Just what America does not need is another politician spouting conspiracy theories with no evidence.

People worldwide have proven for centuries that a large percentage of people will fall for scam after scam and believe just about anything without ever seriously saying SHOW me the EVIDENCE or being skeptical of outlandish claims.  Con men love these people.

You certainly have with your party line stance on all things political///

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, pomchop said:

You might also notice that my recent post was related to a DEM who is throwing out a bunch of conspiracy theories...so i condemn him.  Got it?

Yes... that's your party line right there... the Biden camp does not want anyone with any other view on things to be brought forward.

• Confused 1

I'm sorry but RFK Jr. has been severely damaged his entire life. I can't imagine what it must have been like to lose a father, and an uncle to violence in such a public manner, but he's squandered many, many, many advantages. Clearly his admittance to Harvard, and UVa LAW (Uncle Ted went there too) was based on merit. choke.

He's embarrassing himself daily with his odd claims, and doing untold damage to our relationship with science and facts. I don't get why people believe a word he says? To me he's just another drunk at the bar, with all the believability of a used-car salesman. Oh, crap, he's a lot like trump.

This performance in Congress was shocking. But I did love all the republicans fawning all over him.

But his biggest fail is one exhibited by the entire right wing cult: confusing CRITICISM with censorship. This is a symptom of Conservative Aggrievement Syndrome. BTW this syndrome is fully on display in this forum. Only the government is prevented from limiting free speech. Facebook, you, me are NOT the government, yet.

Hearing on the Weaponization of the Federal Government
Date: Thu, 07/20/2023 - 9:00 AM

https://judiciary.house.gov/committee-activity/hearings/hearing-weaponization-federal-government-3

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Tug said:

Perhaps they lobotomized the wrong Kennedy or listening to this one may be they did him as well what a nutter

The anti vax nonsense goes back years before Covid. Don’t forget his answer to gun violence is do nothing. Did he have a stroke or other major medical incident?

Trump praises him and has suggested the  Democrat could be a VP running mate in 2024!? Perhaps a  victimMK ULTRA style mind control experiment RFK jr is definitely a cats paw for sinister right-wing interests. 

• Like 1