Isaan Food

save the frogs

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Oh dear. 

Marinades differ all around the world. Cajun, Jerk, Teriyaki, BBQ, Creole, Central Thai, Laos, Cambodian, Southern Thai, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Isaan,...need I go on?

No, and you proved my point, Isan chicken is just that, grilled chicken, and IMHO, lacking any distinct 'Isan flavor'  It's simply grilled chicken, delicious, as any grilled chicken is, as one of the hardest things to screw up.  But doesn't taste any different than any other grilled chicken I've eaten worldwide, and if not, one of the blandest.

As you point out, other areas have different spices they use, and all better than just a basic grilled chicken.

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Brining, and marinating chicken, and even the sugar water some add, isn't top secret.  It's done basically the same, worldwide.  You really need to get out more.

Does it need to be top secret?

Your reasoning is ridiculous.

Roast chicken is part of British cuisine, nothing secret about it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

No, and you proved my point, Isan chicken is just that, grilled chicken, and IMHO, lacking any distinct 'Isan flavor'  It's simply grilled chicken, delicious, as any grilled chicken is, as one of the hardest things to screw up.  But doesn't taste any different than any other grilled chicken I've eaten worldwide, and if not, one of the blandest.

As you point out, other areas have different spices they use, and all better than just a basic grilled chicken.

At least you now admit that grilled chicken is part of Isaan cuisine. ????

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

No. I disproved your point. I guess your taste buds are shot to pieces if you think it all tastes the same.

As I've said, many different marinades around. Many different tastes. 

I can even taste the difference between. BBQd chicken, not grilled as you like to say, from different regions of Thailand because of different marinades they use.

You, however, say it all tastes the same then say it doesn't. Then you say " Isaan chicken" where as before you said it wasn't Isaan food. Confusing.

Edited by youreavinalaff

10 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

You might as well say rice isn't part of Thai cuisine.

Of course, chicken is part of Isaan cuisine. It's part of many cuisines.

They make it and eat it there! What did you think they were eating? International chicken? ????

It doesn't have to be particularly unique. What do you want them to do to the chicken to make it their own?? Haha

I didn't say it wasn't part of 'isan cruisine', but I wouldn't call it 'Isan food'.  

Grilled chicken didn't originate in Isan, or served up in any way special.  The fact that it's sold in Isan, doesn't designate it as a type of chicken in TH or anywhere else.

I buy grilled chicken here/PKK, and nobody calls it Isan chicken.  It's simply 'grilled chicken', same everywhere in TH.

Not like 'Hat Yai Chicken' ... deep fried & heavy on the garlic.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I didn't say it wasn't part of 'isan cruisine', but I wouldn't call it 'Isan food'.  

It's part of the diet of indigenous Isaan people

Grilled chicken didn't originate in Isan, or served up in any way special.  The fact that it's sold in Isan, doesn't designate it as a type of chicken in TH or anywhere else.

It doesn't have to be trade marked or patented, lol.

I buy grilled chicken here/PKK, and nobody calls it Isan chicken.  It's simply 'grilled chicken', same everywhere in TH.

What else do they serve at your grilled chicken restaurant?

6 hours ago, mokwit said:

Seconded and I love kao Chee* Laab, Gai Yaang and Som Taam and Naam Prik Oong.

* so far I have only got people laughing when I refer to it as S-teak Lao. They appreciate the joke that broken rice with egg is like a steak to them.

Kao chee, always try to pick some up for Yai and the kids.

They really like it. 

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

The conversation.

It's not about chicken. It's about the different marinades and methods of cooking and how they define the area where it is prepared and sold.

Most marinades are worldwide. I just had bbq pork with satay. 

44 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You, however, say it all tastes the same then say it doesn't. Then you say " Isaan chicken" where as before you said it wasn't Isaan food. Confusing.

Yeah, and I'm willing to bet he buys his grilled chicken from an Isaan cuisine restaurant in his local area, serving it with sticky rice.

It's like grilled pork in Central Thailand. You can only get it from the Isaan restaurants, stalls, etc etc. It's not actually part of Central Thai cuisine because it doesn't pair with steamed rice.

Our relatives from Central Thailand told us they never (ever) eat it because it's not their cuisine. It pairs with sticky rice which is not what they eat in that region. I was surprised cos it's just pork on a BBQ grill. I had assumed, at that time, it would be eaten all over Thailand.

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You said " it´s the most horrible cuisine and diet on the planet".

Pla ra and Chilli are added as extra flavors. Same as French add garlic, Italians add oregano and Chinese add soy. 

If it hides the taste of other ingredients, too much has been added. Simple.

So, now you are comparing what is a rotten and rancid fish with fresh ingredients???? Are you sure everything is ok? ????????

And after that spicy Chilli with herbs or soy sauce.

How in the world do you get rotten fish to not take over the taste of other ingredients? Only people with dead taste buds can manage that.

Edited by Gottfrid

3 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Yeah, and I'm willing to bet he buys his grilled chicken from an Isaan cuisine restaurant in his local area, serving it with sticky rice.

It's like grilled pork in Central Thailand. You can only get it from the Isaan restaurants, stalls, etc etc. It's not actually part of Central Thai cuisine because it doesn't pair with steamed rice.

Our relatives from Central Thailand told us they never (ever) eat it because it's not their cuisine. It pairs with sticky rice which is not what they eat in that region. I was surprised cos it's just pork on a BBQ grill. I had assumed, at that time, it would be eaten all over Thailand.

I'd go as far to say, many individual vendors have different ingredients in their marinades. 

People seem to have their favourite vendor. I remember walking round the night market with my wife. She led ne passed one vendor saying " Mai aroy". Let's got to the next one.

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

I'd go as far to say, many individual vendors have different ingredients in their marinades. 

People seem to have their favourite vendor. I remember walking round the night market with my wife. She led ne passed one vendor saying " Mai aroy". Let's got to the next one.

Just lay it off. Talk to your wife. Then you will find out that the first thing is too much salt or not, after it´s the preferred amount of pla ra or chilli. That´s why they go to a specific vendor.

10 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, now you are comparing what is a rotten and rancid fish with fresh ingredients???? Are you sure everything is ok? ????????

And after that spicy Chilli with herbs or soy sauce.

How in the world do you get rotten fish to not take over the taste of other ingredients? Only people with dead taste buds can manage that.

I'm comparing ingredients from around the world. Ingredients that, when used correctly, enhance the taste of a dish.

I know people who despise garlic. They don't complain when others use it in their cooking and insult them. 

My whole point on here has been, one person may not like a certain type of food. Doesn't make it rancid, disgusting or whatever to all 

As to your question, I'm fine. Thank you.

Edited by youreavinalaff