Isaan Food

save the frogs

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

Strange comment. They use the same sauces.

That is the most uneducated, funny really, comment I've seen for a long time.

I won't bother listing the myriad of different chicken marinades. I gave up teaching a few years ago.

Educate yourself. Have a little "Google" of chicken marinades.

20 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

That is the most uneducated, funny really, comment I've seen for a long time.

I won't bother listing the myriad of different chicken marinades. I gave up teaching a few years ago.

Educate yourself. Have a little "Google" of chicken marinades.

No thanks. Ive eaten all over Thailand and you are full of it.

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

Subject is Isaan food. You are wrong.

You quoted this comment of mine, part of a conversation with another poster about chicken marinades.  I wrote:

"Really? Jerk and Isaan are the same? Greek and French is the same? Cajun and Chinese is the same? No need for more. Point made".

Your reply

What are you talking about? Bbq pork is bbq pork. Satay is satay."

As you can see, the subject you joined in on was chicken marinades in Thailand and around the world.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I'm comparing ingredients from around the world. Ingredients that, when used correctly, enhance the taste of a dish.

I know people who despise garlic. They don't complain when others use it in their cooking and insult them. 

My whole point on here has been, one person may not like a certain type of food. Doesn't make it rancid, disgusting or whatever to all 

As to your question, I'm fine. Thank you.

Please, are you saying that Pla Ra is not rancid? Apparently, like you say, some people like rancid food, but it´s rotten and rancid fish as it has been standing out in the open for many month. Sometimes a year or more. They also eat it with maggots crawling in it, as I have seen with my own eyes. The worms have developed same way like they do in dead bodies. Then they say it´s extra good. That is the definition of rotten, rancid and disgusting.

7 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Exactly my point. It doesn't all " taste the same". Marinades vary.

No, it was not exactly your point. You are missing something. You said that the ingredients in the marinades for the same food vary. It´s not soo much the ingredients that vary as most are using the same recipes. What change is how much they use of each one.

12 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Please, are you saying that Pla Ra is not rancid? Apparently, like you say, some people like rancid food, but it´s rotten and rancid fish as it has been standing out in the open for many month. Sometimes a year or more. They also eat it with maggots crawling in it, as I have seen with my own eyes. The worms have developed same way like they do in dead bodies. Then they say it´s extra good. That is the definition of rotten, rancid and disgusting.

In defense of pla ra, some of it is boiled first and not naturally allowed to ferment. I have since moved from Isaan and will only return for visits. Funny how most all Isaan food has that greenish color. Me, personally I don't think an outsider can learn to like it. I feel like this is something you learn very young.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

In defense of pla ra, some of it is boiled first and not naturally allowed to ferment. I have since moved from Isaan and will only return for visits. Funny how most all Isaan food has that greenish color. Me, personally I don't think an outsider can learn to like it. I feel like this is something you learn very young.

Yeah, sure! You have to learn. If you no eat, you die. ????

Regarding the boiled Pla Ra, that is not something they use out in Isaan villages. There it´s bought from the big bucket at the market, or taken from a pot standing out under a small building or something.

Edited by Gottfrid

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

I dont get how Thais obsess over rice and noodles. Its just basic carbs.

Everything have its own characteristics, no doubt about it. A potato, is not just a potato, and coming from a farm where we had 4 different potato, it is a magnificent difference when to use, and to which dishes. 

Isan food in south, is one of the better options actually, and not because southern food is not tasty, but how they make Isaan food for the local taste make it special.

In Isaan, it is very few dishes I eat locally, and it is always mix, to make it tasty for me. I'm lucky who have a wife who is creative and listen, and also willing to make adjustments for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

What's not to like?

Unfortunately, in 95% of rural Issan your not going to have a selection or choice of "juicy meats" or the savory dishes you mentioned.

You"ll find those at the big night markets in Khon Kaen or Udon Thani.

Many rural parts of Issan, even there night markets are very limited due to the intense poverty.  Even the Tesco's or mini'C run out of pork or chicken for some reason.

Living here I find the most infuriating thing is the lack of descent vegetables and fruit. 

It's if most of Issan gets the dregs of the delivery's and what rural Issan doesn't want the ship to Laos. 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Unfortunately, in 95% of rural Issan your not going to have a selection or choice of "juicy meats" or the savory dishes you mentioned.

Many rural parts of Issan, even there night markets are very limited due to the intense poverty.  Even the Tesco's or mini'C run out of pork or chicken for some reason.

Living here I find the most infuriating thing is the lack of descent vegetables and fruit. 

It's if most of Issan gets the dregs of the delivery's and what rural Issan doesn't want the ship to Laos. 

Well, I lived in an Isaan village for the best part of a decade (about 40km outside a city)

The villagers ate plenty of grilled pork and chicken. 

Various larb meats were available, including beef.

Chicken soup, fish soup. Eggs galore.

I do agree that I felt we didn't eat enough fruit n veggies, except bamboo,mushrooms, and eggplants.

We had a Sunday market at our nearby amphur with all the meats and there would also be trucks driving around every few days selling it

11 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Well, I lived in an Isaan village for the best part of a decade (about 40km outside a city)

The villagers ate plenty of grilled pork and chicken. 

Various larb meats were available, including beef.

Chicken soup, fish soup. Eggs galore.

I do agree that I felt we didn't eat enough fruit n veggies, except bamboo,mushrooms, and eggplants.

We had a Sunday market at our nearby amphur with all the meats and there would also be trucks driving around every few days selling it

Beef!

That's even hard to find at the Topps in Sakon Nakhon.

Certain areas definitely have better markets.

Ours, unfortunately is hit and miss.

Not many chickens here at the moment because of a "virus" has decimated the ones running around.  

Plenty of fresh dog meat available though if that's your thing. 

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

A post you've totally contradicted in your next post.

26 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

A post you've totally contradicted in your next post.

I'm saying most of Issan sucks for food choice.

Unless you live on the outskirts or within a large Issan city your diet will probably lead to diabetes and/or slow agonizing death.

If the diet doesn't kill you boredom will!

"Thai food’s bold blend of flavours: A culinary delight with a fatal bite"

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-foods-bold-blend-of-flavours-a-culinary-delight-with-a-fatal-bite

15 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I'm saying most of Issan sucks for food choice.

Unless you live on the outskirts or within a large Issan city your diet will probably lead to diabetes and/or slow agonizing death.

If the diet doesn't kill you boredom will!

"Thai food’s bold blend of flavours: A culinary delight with a fatal bite"

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-foods-bold-blend-of-flavours-a-culinary-delight-with-a-fatal-bite

Your article talks about KhonKaen. That's a big city. 

It is an article about " Thai food". Not Isaan food.

You've already pointed out certain areas have more choice. I agree.

In my experience of living in Issan; Korat, MSK, Buriram, Surin, KhonKean, Kalasin, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Roiet, Sissaket all have great markets, both night and day. All places have Makro and BigC. Some have Robinson with Tops. Your 95% and use of the word " most" are inverted.

I don’t remember seeing the mass deaths from diet or boredom. Maybe you can show evidence.

Really. If you truly believe what you say, move. Simple.

4 hours ago, bignok said:

I dont get how Thais obsess over rice and noodles. Its just basic carbs.

It's cheap.

It's not unlike poor areas in the US.  There stuck buying food at dollar stores and bargain outlets.

Issan is terribly impoverished.

There not going to stock high quality meats, vegetables, fruits, etc., if nobody can afford them.

Diabetes and Fatty's abound in Issan, unfortunately.