Isaan Food

save the frogs

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Unfortunately, in 95% of rural Issan your not going to have a selection or choice of "juicy meats" or the savory dishes you mentioned.

You"ll find those at the big night markets in Khon Kaen or Udon Thani.

Many rural parts of Issan, even there night markets are very limited due to the intense poverty.  Even the Tesco's or mini'C run out of pork or chicken for some reason.

Living here I find the most infuriating thing is the lack of descent vegetables and fruit. 

It's if most of Issan gets the dregs of the delivery's and what rural Issan doesn't want the ship to Laos. 

Iaan is a large part of Thailand, and can not just be seen as Isaan. 

Many Makro and topps have great selection of meat and other Foods, so enough to satisfy a picky soul. But we have make whole day trip when we first go shopping. Almost 180km round-trip. 

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

It's cheap.

It's not unlike poor areas in the US.  There stuck buying food at dollar stores and bargain outlets.

Issan is terribly impoverished.

There not going to stock high quality meats, vegetables, fruits, etc., if nobody can afford them.

Diabetes and Fatty's abound in Issan, unfortunately. 

So, who depletes the daily stocks of meat, veg, fruit, etc at the markets, in BigC and Makro across Isaan?

Thais eat rice for the same reason Brits eat potatoes. It the national carb crop and has been for centuries. Even rich Thais eat rice.

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

So, who depletes the daily stocks of meat, veg, fruit, etc at the markets, in BigC and Makro across Isaan?

Thais eat rice for the same reason Brits eat potatoes. It the national carb crop and has been for centuries. Even rich Thais eat rice.

Tesco manager said there only getting 2 kilos of chicken thighs this week.

It's hard to believe you've lived in Issan and are oblivious to the utter poverty around you.

Perhaps get outside that bubble you live in and explore the real Issan, it's not as pretty as your led do believe.

Honestly, I don't believe you've set foot in Issan.

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Dude, this is Issan.

They dont stock daily.

Get real. 

Edited by MrJ2U

21 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Tesco manager said there only getting 2 kilos of chicken thighs this week.

It's hard to believe you've lived in Issan and are oblivious to the utter poverty around you.

Perhaps get outside that bubble you live in and explore the real Issan, it's not as pretty as your led do believe.

Honestly, I don't believe you've set foot in Issan.

I've called Isaan, real Isaan, my home since 1998.

16 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Dude, this is Issan.

They dont stock daily.

Get real. 

There are many Makro,BigC and markets that stock everyday. If they didn't they wouldn't make money and would close.

14 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Not every Thai in Issan can even afford rice.  That's a fact. 

Thais grow rice, if you haven't noticed. That's why they eat it. It's a staple of their diet. Saying they can't afford it is laughable. If anything, the poorest of Isaan people eat only rice, likely with a bit of homemade nam prik for added flavor.

You are clearly basing your assessments on a tiny piece of Isaan where you live. I doubt you've been out of the village. Go and look for yourself in Makro or BigC or the local markets. It's you that needs to get out of your bubble.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

BigC

Both Big C and Makro are 150 kilometer round-trips.

Another reason Issan truly sucks.  Terrible infrastructure.  

Those companies don't open more outlets in Issan because the common Thai person in Issan hasn't the money to spend at those places.

Your og a very small percentile who actually finds Issan food, and Issan in general a pleasant experience.

Even your average Issan Thai prays to Bhuddah to escape Issan every night after there meager rations. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Those companies don't open more outlets in Issan because the common Thai person in Issan hasn't the money to spend at those places.

Do you actually know how many BigC and Makro there are in Isaan? Add to that the Tesco stores, CP stores? Just because you live far from a BigC or Makro does not mean they don't exist and make a killing from the Isaan people.

Are you aware how big Isaan is? It's huge. The largest region of Thailand.

Take that trip of 150kms and find out for yourself. If there are no Isaan people in there spending money and there is only 2kgs of chicken, take a photo and post it on here. I will then apologise for doubting your figures and beliefs. You'll know I'm right the minute you turn up and see the masses in their pick up trucks and on their motorbikes. Yes it's true. Isaan people motor vehicles.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Your og a very small percentile who actually finds Issan food, and Issan in general a pleasant experience.

Even your average Issan Thai prays to Bhuddah to escape Issan every night after there meager rations. 

Oh dear, oh dear, poor ol' you........................????

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Do you actually know how many BigC and Makro there are in Isaan? Add to that the Tesco stores, CP stores? Just because you live far from a BigC or Makro does not mean they don't exist and make a killing from the Isaan people.

Take that trip of 150kms and find out for yourself. If there are no Isaan people in there spending money and there is only 2kgs of chicken, take a photo and post it on here. I will then apologise for doubting your figures and beliefs. You'll know I'm right the minute you turn up and see the masses in their pick up trucks and on their motorbikes. Yes it's true. Isaan people motor vehicles.

I am in Isaan, there are 2 Makro's I reckon about 10 miles apart, both near the town's ring road....????...

That bloke hasn't a clue.....:unsure:

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh dear, oh dear, poor ol' you........................????

Gets me out of the village.

Picked up a pizza at the mall.

Even the city of Sakon Nakhon feels like a large Issan village.  It's like a big dirty black hole. 

Finally got a private hospital! 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

You can't find a Makro or other chain store, you're not looking very hard...

... just Makro locations:

image.png.5e82c0109d4cc4ea40ada8a7c7c6d575.png

11 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Even the city of Sakon Nakhon feels like a large Issan village.  It's like a big dirty black hole. 

Lots of Isaan people out in their cars, on motorbikes, going into 7/11, Makro, BigC. The mall.

You bought a pizza. I guess there were lots of Isaan people buying too. A shop isn't going to stay trading by selling a pizza to an expat every now and then. 

Your story and outlook has been fun to read. Sadly, it's now been shown to be fiction.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Lots of Isaan people out in their cars, on motorbikes, going into 7/11, Makro, BigC. The mall.

You bought a pizza. I guess there were lots of Isaan people buying too. A shop isn't going to stay trading by selling a pizza to an expat every now and then. 

Your story and outlook has been fun to read. Sadly, it's now been shown to be fiction.

Enjoy your weekend! 

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

That's not showing all of them. At a quick glance, Buriram is missing. 

yea, I know.  not showing Khon Kaen.  Don't care enough to bother and feed the trolls.  Think I'll put him back on my list.

28 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

My kid was born in a Sakon Nakhon private hospital 11 yrs ago.

11 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

My kid was born in a Sakon Nakhon private hospital 11 yrs ago.

I've been to that hospital.  I forgot about that one.

They've just completed the Prince Hospital.  Very modern and there's a descent hotel with a pool on the roof next door.

Indeed, Isaan food is the most delicious and healthy. It often incorporates sour flavors, achieved through ingredients like tamarind, lime, and green mango. Fermented fish and shrimp paste are also used to add depth and umami to many dishes. Fresh herbs and vegetables play a crucial role in Isaan cuisine. Cilantro, mint, basil, and green onions are commonly used for garnishing and flavoring dishes.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, thomassimmons said:

Indeed, Isaan food is the most delicious and healthy. It often incorporates sour flavors, achieved through ingredients like tamarind, lime, and green mango. Fermented fish and shrimp paste are also used to add depth and umami to many dishes. Fresh herbs and vegetables play a crucial role in Isaan cuisine. Cilantro, mint, basil, and green onions are commonly used for garnishing and flavoring dishes.

Are you Thai, by any chance..........?    ????

31 minutes ago, transam said:

Are you Thai, by any chance..........?    ????

Nope, but I would like to be. Thai people are the best in the world, and their cuisine is simply amazing. From the bold and vibrant flavors to the intricate balance of sweet, sour, spicy, and savory, Thai food is a culinary masterpiece.

One of my favorite Thai dishes that I'd love to learn how to make is orange chicken instant pot. I've heard that it's a delicious combination of crispy fried chicken pieces coated in a tangy, sweet, and slightly spicy orange sauce. What's even more exciting is that you can make it at home using an instant pot, which makes the cooking process more convenient and efficient.

Edited by thomassimmons
  • Haha 1