Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Isaan Food

save the frogs

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

Seconded and I love kao Chee* Laab, Gai Yaang and Som Taam and Naam Prik Oong.

* so far I have only got people laughing when I refer to it as S-teak Lao. They appreciate the joke that broken rice with egg is like a steak to them.

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

I don't even know what it was (seriously). All kinds of things on a platter.  Horse Piss eggs was one thing, the only thing I could eat was some ham like meat. This was at a restaurant by the reservoir at Khon Khaen, not some village.

Isaan hors d'oeuvre. 

There would (should) have been lots of other food, some of those that you have mentioned, following.

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

diet and health are absolute rubbish.

I live in Issan.

It's extreme poverty.  

You'll actually need to visit and see for yourself.  

Take off you're rose tinted glasses and stop kidding yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I live in Issan.

It's extreme poverty.  

You'll actually need to visit and see for yourself.  

Take off you're rose tinted glasses and stop kidding yourself.

I wonder if he is the tourist in the video.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/23/2023 at 10:25 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

I used to work in the city Chonburi, and would eat most evenings at the mall. There was one stall selling Isaan food. I ate there once, that's all it took for me - no thanks!

Honestly!

It's really only popular amongst Issan workers.

Shanty town setup like it is in Issan with no place to wash your hands or use a toilet. 

You're unlikely to find traditional Issan restaurants catering to tourists outside of Issan.  Thankfully. 

9 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Honestly!

It's really only popular amongst Issan workers.

Shanty town setup like it is in Issan with no place to wash your hands or use a toilet. 

You're unlikely to find traditional Issan restaurants catering to tourists outside of Issan.  Thankfully. 

You need to get out more.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bignok said:

Larb is ok. 

Def knocked up a letter grade across the river in Vientiane, where there's a bit of Frenchiness about it in the herb mix and that rice powder was pounded that morning.

Love larb, but it's hard on a non-pork eater. Duck larb is another Lao goodie. You see it here a bit, but there it's on every menu.

There's a famous Issan tin shack place around the corner from me. I go maybe once a month. I prefer the food of the Eastern Seaboard, so basically Issan with fish.

'Can't be bothered to look for them, but Mark Weins has done some great Issan video's.

He recco'd a chicken and cashew place in Ubon that was so good I went twice. Fall down great chicken and cashews is very hard to come by. No raisins, delicate oyster sauce, fried to order cashews. 

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Your generalisation regarding Isaan people, their diet and health are absolute rubbish.

Cheap cuts of chicken? Did you know chicken breast and thighs are cheaper than wings in Thailand?

Somtam is good. I like it with peanuts and salty eggs. Green curry is not an Isaan dish. It comes from Central Thailand.

He might have generalized a bit, but you are totally off the reality chart. If we are talking pure isaan food, it´s the most horrible cuisine and diet on the planet as we know it. Have you looked at banana som tum? Are you familiar with the different variety of grey matter the call nam prick? Are you aware of that they over spice it all with pepper in all sort of form and drenching the food in rotten fish liquid called pla ra? If they do not use pla ra, they are sure to take out the dreadful kapi.

I think you get the point already, cause I could go on for thousands of words about this extremely bad level of cooking. It´s horrendous!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

There's a few on the backstreets of Siam Square that get Time Out write-ups. And Issan food is a staple in any mall food court.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

He might have generalized a bit, but you are totally off the reality chart. If we are talking pure isaan food, it´s the most horrible cuisine and diet on the planet as we know it. Have you looked at banana som tum? Are you familiar with the different variety of grey matter the call nam prick? Are you aware of that they over spice it all with pepper in all sort of form and drenching the food in rotten fish liquid called pla ra? If they do not use pla ra, they are sure to take out the dreadful kapi.

I think you get the point already, cause I could go on for thousands of words about this extremely bad level of cooking. It´s horrendous!

That would be your opinion. Possibly correct, had you sampled every cuisine on the planet.

Some Isaan dishes include Pla ra, I agree. However, there are not any Isaan dishes that are " drenched" in it. Pepper? I think you mean Chilli. 

Banana and pineapple somtam is great.

16 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

If we are talking pure isaan food, it´s the most horrible cuisine and diet on the planet as we know it.

Just want to point out that the rats they eat in Isaan are not Brown Rats (Rattus Norvegicus) but a type of field rat. Anybody know where they can be ordered grilled in Bangkok?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

Pro tip: Don't eat Isaan food in Isaan with locals doing the ordering. It won't be Laab, Gai Yaang and Som Taam. It will be things you can't eat.

Laab ... NO,

But Gai Yaang (grilled chicken, not issan food, as served worldwide), and Som Tam I enjoy, if too not spicy (Som Tam Thai), and I travel w/cayenne pepper for my som tam & spicy fruit salad som tam. 

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

You need to get out more.

Coming from a person trapped in Issan for 23 years and thinks it's the high life. 

Definitely nothing to brag about.

You can have the rotten fish sauce, sinewy chicken, and food infested with parasites to your hearts content.

There's a reason Issan is losing population numbers compared to the rest of Thailand.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Just want to point out that the rats they eat in Isaan are not Brown Rats (Rattus Norvegicus) but a type of field rat. Anybody know where they can be ordered grilled in Bangkok?

No need to point that out quoting me, as I am well aware of that. Have tried it as well. Actually very close to chicken. At least the though chicken they put in the tom yum. Actually, some of the raw main ingredients are not anything wrong with. It´s just the way of cooking and the additional ingredients they use.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Coming from a person trapped in Issan for 23 years and thinks it's the high life. 

Definitely nothing to brag about.

You can have the rotten fish sauce, sinewy chicken, and food infested with parasites to your hearts content.

There's a reason Issan is losing population numbers compared to the rest of Thailand.

Not trapped, I chose to live in Isaan. Don't think it's the high life. 

Not bragging. 

Not sure where you got that from.

I like Isaan, the people and the food. You don't. No skin off my nose.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

That would be your opinion. Possibly correct, had you sampled every cuisine on the planet.

Some Isaan dishes include Pla ra, I agree. However, there are not any Isaan dishes that are " drenched" in it. Pepper? I think you mean Chilli. 

Banana and pineapple somtam is great.

No, I have not sampled every cuisine on the planet, as I thought we were talking about Isaan food. If I am right, then that will not be necessary, but by all means. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, there are a lot of dishes that are basically drenched in pla raa. (With that I mean giving the dish an overpowering taste of that specific ingredient.)

When I wrote pepper, I meant Chilli or Thai pepper as it´s also commonly called. (Good on you, I give you 5 points for that guess)

Yes, banana and pineapple som tum is great, if you do not like the taste of fruit, love pla raa and need "Chilli" for your food as a second ingredient for taking away the natural taste. Only the color of that dish should keep you away from it.

8 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No, I have not sampled every cuisine on the planet, as I thought we were talking about Isaan food. If I am right, then that will not be necessary, but by all means. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, there are a lot of dishes that are basically drenched in pla raa. (With that I mean giving the dish an overpowering taste of that specific ingredient.)

When I wrote pepper, I meant Chilli or Thai pepper as it´s also commonly called. (Good on you, I give you 5 points for that guess)

Yes, banana and pineapple som tum is great, if you do not like the taste of fruit, love pla raa and need "Chilli" for your food as a second ingredient for taking away the natural taste. Only the color of that dish should keep you away from it.

You said " it´s the most horrible cuisine and diet on the planet".

Pla ra and Chilli are added as extra flavors. Same as French add garlic, Italians add oregano and Chinese add soy. 

If it hides the taste of other ingredients, too much has been added. Simple.

Edited by youreavinalaff

Isaan cuisine is one of my favorites.

A variety of juicy BBQ or fried meats (with flavorful dipping sauces), spicy salads, and sticky rice.

What's not to like?

Chicken soup, various larbs, and even their own version of Tom Yum soup (hot and sour; no sweet coconut milk in it).

Great stuff!

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Laab ... NO,

But Gai Yaang (grilled chicken, not issan food, as served worldwide), and Som Tam I enjoy, if too not spicy (Som Tam Thai), and I travel w/cayenne pepper for my som tam & spicy fruit salad som tam. 

Grilled chicken is not Isaan food??

25 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Grilled chicken is not Isaan food??

I've found grilled chicken everywhere in TH, and the rest of the world I've visited.

Silly to say it's 'Isaan food'.

Even green papaya salad is a stretch to call it 'isaan food', except for the over use of chilis & maybe pla ra.

Guess you've never been to the Caribbean, and I've had papaya salad on numerous islands, and Yucatan peninsula.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

The way it's marinated, cooked and served is Isaan food.

Brining, and marinating chicken, and even the sugar water some add, isn't top secret.  It's done basically the same, worldwide.  You really need to get out more.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Brining, and marinating chicken, and even the sugar water some add, isn't top secret.  It's done basically the same, worldwide.  You really need to get out more.

Oh dear. 

Marinades differ all around the world. Cajun, Jerk, Teriyaki, BBQ, Creole, Central Thai, Laos, Cambodian, Southern Thai, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Isaan,...need I go on?

Edited by youreavinalaff

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I've found grilled chicken everywhere in TH, and the rest of the world I've visited.

Silly to say it's 'Isaan food'.

Even green papaya salad is a stretch to call it 'isaan food', except for the over use of chilis & maybe pla ra.

Guess you've never been to the Caribbean, and I've had papaya salad on numerous islands, and Yucatan peninsula.

You might as well say rice isn't part of Thai cuisine.

Of course, chicken is part of Isaan cuisine. It's part of many cuisines.

They make it and eat it there! What did you think they were eating? International chicken? ????

It doesn't have to be particularly unique. What do you want them to do to the chicken to make it their own?? Haha