Is 5 consecutive entries allowed?

Hi all, since 8 December 2022, I have entered Thailand 4 times. The first 2 times by air on the 45-day entry (with extensions), followed by 2 land border entries (30 days plus extensions) from Laos, with the last one being 3 weeks ago. In short, after the current visa expires, will I be able to enter again or is that pushing it? And if so, I assume the next one would require a proper tourist visa from a consulate, rather than just flying in and out or doing a land border entry again? Thanks in advance and hope everyone is enjoying a relaxing Sunday. Best, Steve

6 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

As long as you didn't overstay and you didn't do anything to get arrested you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks! Am I right in my assumption regarding getting a tourist visa from a consulate? 

37 minutes ago, steve0101 said:

, I assume the next one would require a proper tourist visa from a consulate, rather than just flying in and out or doing a land border entry again

You won't be doing a visa exempt entry via land as you have used your 2 per calendar year.

You should obtain a tourist visa.

Vientiane and HCMC would be couple of options.

Both consulates require an appointment.

You did not indicate how much time you have spent OUTSIDE of Thailand since Dec last year. 

• Like 1

What's your nationality? Most nationalities that are eligible for visa exempt entry can only get two visa exempt entries by land per calendar year.

Flying in would be high risk with your history, something like 270 days in Thailand without much time outside in between stays, almost consecutively. 

Getting a tourist visa in Vientiane might be an option. 

Edited by Caldera

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You won't be doing a visa exempt entry via land as you have used your 2 per calendar year.

You should obtain a tourist visa.

Vientiane and HCMC would be couple of options.

Both consulates require an appointment.

You did not indicate how much time you have spent OUTSIDE of Thailand since Dec last year. 

Hi Jack, since arriving in December, my departures from the country have been in and out on the same day. First to Vientiane airport and back and then via Nong Khai the last two times. So, the longest spell out of the country was a matter of hours. Thanks for your reply.

I think you have done well to stay here 7 months on visa exempt entries + extensions, you don't mention your age or marital status, but you really need to sort out a long term visa, at a minimum a tourist visa, coupled with a good reason if questioned by IO,

• Like 1

Another visa exempt via air would be a miracle.

lol, yep, I thought so. I actually thought I may even get refused flying back in with a real tourist visa because I have effectively not spent a full day out of the country since arriving. I was concerned because someone I know who flew in on a 45-day twice, and more recently flew back in with a tourist visa (all back to back) was questioned the IO at the airport (I think DM) but finally allowed in, but according to her, the IO took some convincing.

32 minutes ago, steve0101 said:

lol, yep, I thought so. I actually thought I may even get refused flying back in with a real tourist visa because I have effectively not spent a full day out of the country since arriving. I was concerned because someone I know who flew in on a 45-day twice, and more recently flew back in with a tourist visa (all back to back) was questioned the IO at the airport (I think DM) but finally allowed in, but according to her, the IO took some convincing.

If you do get a tourist visa, you're better off entering overland. Airport IOs won't like what you've racked up one bit.

With your history, Vientiane is probably your only realistic option nearby anyway, so entering at a land border crossing isn't much of an inconvenience. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, steve0101 said:

Very few (if any) reports of refused entry.

However it's a matter of time.

In 2019 (pre covid) there were several reports of refused entry via air visa exempt esp at Bangkok airports.

Refused entry is significant.

In almost all cases you are either flown back to airport of departure or to your pp country.

Even this is not simple.

For example if I flew from Saigon and was refused entry eg DMK it's not simple to be flown back to Vietnam.

Being Oz I require a visa to enter Vietnam and currently they are only issuing e-Visa.

World of pain.

There are threads similar to yours every other day.

This one stands out as you have spent basically zero time out of Thailand.

You are playing Russian roulette. 

If you are determined to stay longer most likely a tourist visa from Vientiane would be best option. 

Appointment required.

Stating this for others.

For long stays such as your it's best to keep one land border visa exempt entry up your sleeve.

In your case your most recent entry should have been with a SETV 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you still have time to do so, make an appointment to apply for a tourist visa at Vientiane. You can then enter with 99.9% safety by air or with 100% safety via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai.

Trying to enter visa exempt by air, especially with no or minimal time outside Thailand in between, you would have a high risk of a denied entry. If you must try that, I suggest flying into Chiang Mai where denial of entry to those requesting visa exemptions has been much rarer than at the Bangkok airports.

If you want to stay longer in Thailand, you need a better solution than being a long stay tourist. That has become hard.

• Thanks 1

Precisely.

The less time you spend outside Thailand between visits the more chance of being rejected on arrival.

If you want to spend a lot of time in Thailand, they want you to be on a Visa other than tourist.

Edited by foreverlomsak
Brain working quicker than fingers