Aussies retain The Ashes

bignok

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

Are they even real? Just some random ashes.

from wiki

The contents of the urn are also problematic; they were variously reported to be the remains of a stump, bail or the outer casing of a ball, but in 1998 Darnley's 82-year-old daughter-in-law said they were the remains of her mother-in-law's veil, casting a further layer of doubt on the matter. However, during the tour of Australia in 2006/7, the MCC official accompanying the urn said the veil legend had been discounted, and it was now "95% certain" that the urn contains the ashes of a cricket bail

3 minutes ago, proton said:

from wiki

The contents of the urn are also problematic; they were variously reported to be the remains of a stump, bail or the outer casing of a ball, but in 1998 Darnley's 82-year-old daughter-in-law said they were the remains of her mother-in-law's veil, casting a further layer of doubt on the matter. However, during the tour of Australia in 2006/7, the MCC official accompanying the urn said the veil legend had been discounted, and it was now "95% certain" that the urn contains the ashes of a cricket bail

95% certain 555

Bit silly isnt it.

Make the losing team do shoeys

You have to laugh at the Aussies whinging now, talk about desperate.

An earlier post mentioned the topic of discussion was the Ashes test series but difficult to debate with such one eyed members with very little knowledge of the game of cricket.

I was so happy we managed to draw the series after another nail biting test. Like all of the other matches the 5th test swung both ways before England grabbed the initiative in that last session.

2-2 is a fair reflection of two evenly matched sides who treated us cricket fans to a thrilling series. No point talking about the 4th test,

nearly 2 full days lost to rain, despite Englands strong position it still could of gone either way.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bangkokhatter said:

You have to laugh at the Aussies whinging now, talk about desperate.

An earlier post mentioned the topic of discussion was the Ashes test series but difficult to debate with such one eyed members with very little knowledge of the game of cricket.

I was so happy we managed to draw the series after another nail biting test. Like all of the other matches the 5th test swung both ways before England grabbed the initiative in that last session.

2-2 is a fair reflection of two evenly matched sides who treated us cricket fans to a thrilling series. No point talking about the 4th test,

nearly 2 full days lost to rain, despite Englands strong position it still could of gone either way.

2 all is fair. However the umpires in the 5th test made the worst decision ive seen in 30 years. 

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

Ponting has more experience than both of them.

Learn something about the game.

Have you considered that the difference in overhead conditions on Day 5 might have played a part?

Even if the ball was harder, we are talking about two openers who were well-set. Moreover, the changed ball didn't seem to bother Smith and Head too much for 25 overs and the best part of 100 runs.

Maybe you think that the changed ball caused the last six wickets to fall for 70-odd?

Sour grapes, perhaps?

• Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, transam said:

They are umpires with much experience, how about you..............?     :cowboy:

Umpires are only human, they make mistakes. Which is why the review system exists, and a third umpire.

There is no review system for the hardness of individual balls, or testing equipment on the field. It's just down to the umpire's subjective assessment.

It was obvious the substituted ball was significantly different to the ball it replaced. The English bowlers almost instantly got swing, and an extra yard or two of pace after hitting the deck.

• Like 1

No wonder there is so much corruption, wars and bad things happening in the world. Cricket should be setting an example and be above bad stuff.

If any player is caught cheating they should be banned forever and have all their series match fees taken away. If they are Oz, then made to pay for their own passage home. If English (or Welsh); stocks should brought out of storage and be dusted off.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

No wonder there is so much corruption, wars and bad things happening in the world. Cricket should be setting an example and be above bad stuff.

If any player is caught cheating they should be banned forever and have all their series match fees taken away. If they are Oz, then made to pay for their own passage home. If English (or Welsh); stocks should brought out of storage and be dusted off.

So the 2005 series should be overturned then. Both umpires in 5th test sacked for life.

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I don't hear anything about Scottish cricketers, perhaps they prefer golf. I was also under the impression Yorkshire cricketers are insulted by being called English.

What are your recommendations for the South Africans, Indians, and Pakistanis who cheat, Owl?

48 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't hear anything about Scottish cricketers, perhaps they prefer golf. I was also under the impression Yorkshire cricketers are insulted by being called English.

What are your recommendations for the South Africans, Indians, and Pakistanis who cheat, Owl?

As far as Scottish cricketers go; they refuse to wear white kilts. Obviously there is a cricket dress code. Welsh men can play in the English cricket team. Wasn't Lewis a Welshman?

The game of cricket gives bowlers and batters an even chance. Conditions change and pitches vary, but the beauty of the game is that both sides play with a ;fair-play; spirit and accept the result; win or lose.

As for the '''South Africans, Indians, and Pakistanis who cheat'''. I am saddened that they do cheat; if indeed they do.

I was in Sabina Park, in 1998, when the match was abandoned during the first session.  That chief groundsman should have faced ridicule for the rest of his days. I went onto the pitch after the players went off, and I could but my fingers deep into the cracks. 

I'm not just saying this stuff to get 'likes. No!! In my bio - if anyone reads it to the end - I say that 'Cheating in Sport' is one of my pet hates. Alongside mass murdering and destroying historic works of art.

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

As far as Scottish cricketers go; they refuse to wear white kilts. Obviously there is a cricket dress code. Welsh men can play in the English cricket team. Wasn't Lewis a Welshman?

The game of cricket gives bowlers and batters an even chance. Conditions change and pitches vary, but the beauty of the game is that both sides play with a ;fair-play; spirit and accept the result; win or lose.

As for the '''South Africans, Indians, and Pakistanis who cheat'''. I am saddened that they do cheat; if indeed they do.

I was in Sabina Park, in 1998, when the match was abandoned during the first session.  That chief groundsman should have faced ridicule for the rest of his days. I went onto the pitch after the players went off, and I could but my fingers deep into the cracks. 

I'm not just saying this stuff to get 'likes. No!! In my bio - if anyone reads it to the end - I say that 'Cheating in Sport' is one of my pet hates. Alongside mass murdering and destroying historic works of art.

Cricket needs rule changes then its harder to cheat. 

Someone said on a forum the umpires should pick 3 balls similar and let the batsmen decide. 

Another said keep an out of shape ball.

Or perhaps new ball every 55 overs like old days. If old ball out of shape early bad luck.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bignok said:

Cricket needs rule changes then its harder to cheat. 

Someone said on a forum the umpires should pick 3 balls similar and let the batsmen decide. 

Another said keep an out of shape ball.

Or perhaps new ball every 55 overs like old days. If old ball out of shape early bad luck.

I agree partly with you post BN.

Think the fielding side should have the option of changing the old for new ball after so many overs are bowled; say 50. The new ball is automatic on the 70th over. If the ball is badly damaged; as was the case in Bridgetown some years back; when Sobers hit the ball onto a iron girder on the terracing, and split the thing, then it has to be replaced. Discussion on this scenario is needed.

Recall Colin Cowdrey giving himself out (walked) when on 94? Don't need to change rules. Get the cheats out of the sport.

32 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

IIRC there are instances right throughout cricket of cheating, match-fixing, etc. Hansie Cronje of South Africagot a life ban.

In my chosen sport, golf, cheating is extremely rare. When it does occur, it is instant ostracism.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IIRC there are instances right throughout cricket of cheating, match-fixing, etc. Hansie Cronje of South Africa got a life ban.

In my chosen sport, golf, cheating is extremely rare. When it does occur, it is instant ostracism.

Unfortunately cheats do get involved in sport. Even darts and snooker, has its cheaters.

You are right when you say that golf is relatively clean. Can't recall many incidents. And don't know of any cheating. Perhaps a (un)intentional error on the scorecard! Perhaps Trevino, when he chucked that snake at Nicklaus. Or was that a bit of gamesmanship?

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Unfortunately cheats do get involved in sport. Even darts and snooker, has its cheaters.

You are right when you say that golf is relatively clean. Can't recall many incidents. And don't know of any cheating. Perhaps a (un)intentional error on the scorecard! Perhaps Trevino, when he chucked that snake at Nicklaus. Or was that a bit of gamesmanship?

Perhaps the most famous example was when Roberto De Vincenzo signed an incorrect scorecard in the 1968 US Masters. The correct score would have put him into a playoff against Bob Goalby. The score had to stand, despite Goalby's pleas to proceed with a playoff for the title.

Trevino is a practical joker, Nicklaus took it that way.

There is gamesmanship in golf, such as playing slowly to upset the rhythm of a competitor who is used to playing quickly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RayC said:

Have you considered that the difference in overhead conditions on Day 5 might have played a part?

Even if the ball was harder, we are talking about two openers who were well-set. Moreover, the changed ball didn't seem to bother Smith and Head too much for 25 overs and the best part of 100 runs.

Maybe you think that the changed ball caused the last six wickets to fall for 70-odd?

Sour grapes, perhaps?

Obviously you know little about cricket. Head and Smith had lots of near misses. Could have been out 2 or 3 times.

The bowlers were tired. The new ball hooped around like crazy. No it wasnt the conditions. Was mostly sunny.

Even the poms admitted the new ball made a huge difference.

Another ball may still have swung but likely not like that. Would have been a 5 run game I would think and gone either way with a normal ball.

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

Obviously you know little about cricket. Head and Smith had lots of near misses. Could have been out 2 or 3 times.

The bowlers were tired. The new ball hooped around like crazy. No it wasnt the conditions. Was mostly sunny.

Another ball may still have swung but likely not like that. Would have been a 5 run game I would think and gone either way with a normal ball.

You need to lose your fixation with balls!

2 hours ago, bignok said:

So the 2005 series should be overturned then. Both umpires in 5th test sacked for life.

Deflecting again and whataboutery what about Tennis they change balls regularly and changes the Trajectory. they don't moan or complain if they lose a point due to a change of balls. Stop moaning you got Beat.

Edited by BarraMarra

44 minutes ago, bignok said:

You do know that they went off for rain yesterday, don't you? Do you think that fell from clear skies?

Ever considered the possibility that -for whatever reason - the Aussie batsmen weren't as good and/or the English bowlers were better yesterday compared with Day 4?

Clearly you know even less about cricket than me, especially if you think that this ball change was the biggest scandal in 30 years.

It might have been a 5-run game without a ball change. It might also have been a 100-run victory for England. All if, buts and maybes. 

• Thumbs Up 2