Reports of modern slavery double in UK care sector

Social Media

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It seems the facts as reported in the OP are contradicting your opinion.

The facts?

I don’t recall the report proving anything. I also don't recall the reporting of the complainants' backgrounds.

The care industry is very heavily monitored. Whether it's the Mental Health act, Safeguarding, human rights, immigration, health and safety, HMRC, DBS. There are forms to fill in and file with the relevant authotlrities for just about everything. Not to mention unannounced CQC visits.

The woman in the OP may well have come up against a bad employer but not to the extent she claims, unless her visa was acquired fraudulently. That then becomes another story.

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The facts?

I don’t recall the report proving anything. I also don't recall the reporting of the complainants' backgrounds.

The care industry is very heavily monitored. Whether it's the Mental Health act, Safeguarding, human rights, immigration, health and safety, HMRC, DBS. There are forms to fill in and file with the relevant authotlrities for just about everything. Not to mention unannounced CQC visits.

The woman in the OP may well have come up against a bad employer but not to the extent she claims, unless her visa was acquired fraudulently. That then becomes another story.

A pity you missed this.

"The number of modern slavery cases reported within the UK care industry has more than doubled in the past year.

There were 109 potential victims, exploited for personal or financial gain, between January and March - twice as many as the same period in 2022."

"Investigators trying to protect workers from being exploited say the care industry is now a "top priority"."

And many more 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

A pity you missed this.

"The number of modern slavery cases reported within the UK care industry has more than doubled in the past year.

There were 109 potential victims, exploited for personal or financial gain, between January and March - twice as many as the same period in 2022."

"Investigators trying to protect workers from being exploited say the care industry is now a "top priority"."

And many more 

Exactly my point. I didn't miss that and actually pointed out the lack of facts.

"Cases reported". "Potential" victims.

Can't see where is says the complainants are here on Tier2 visas. Remember, I took the trouble to differentiate. You must have missed that bit.

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Exactly my point. I didn't miss that and actually pointed out the lack of facts.

"Cases reported". "Potential" victims.

Can't see where is says the complainants are here on Tier2 visas. Remember, I took the trouble to differentiate. You must have missed that bit.

You claimed "For those on Tier2 visas, as mentioned in the OP, it is highly unlikely.".

The OP contradicts you.

• Like 1

Just now, stevenl said:

You claimed "For those on Tier2 visas, as mentioned in the OP, it is highly unlikely.".

The OP contradicts you.

Highly unlikely. Not impossible.

There are 1.6 million people working in social care in UK. The report says there are currently 109 " potential" victims.

The background of the potential victims; Tier2 visas, EU workers on settlement scheme, UK citizens......has not been reported. 

No contradictions there.

53 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Oh dear. That old chestnut.

So, if she is getting £2 an hour as she claims, how is she paying rent? Buying food? Paying bills?

It clearly does not add up.

Add to the fact she claims grassing up her employer could make things miserable, why is she telling all to reporters?

Well, since she said her family has been evicted, we know how she's paying the rent. She's not. And given the hours she works, she may make enough to feed her family. As for telling all to reporters, "Still frightened of her former employers, we're calling her Terri to protect her identity."

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, since she said her family has been evicted, we know how she's paying the rent. She's not. And given the hours she works, she may make enough to feed her family. As for telling all to reporters, "Still frightened of her former employers, we're calling her Terri to protect her identity."

Her family on the streets. I saw that. It doesn't say after how long. She still had accommodation to pay for. It says in the report they lived in separate accommodation. 

Also, in order to get her family to UK she would have needed to show her financial status. £2 an hour isn't going to work.

Like I said previously, I don't think all her story is true. There is a hint of sensationalism about it.

I would suggest she may be a victim of people trafficking. Possibly under faked visas. 

Edited by youreavinalaff

"Her low pay meant she was unable to continue paying rent for her mum and children - and they were forced to leave their accommodation."

Becausse while that agency may be headed by evil S.O.B.s they wouldn't lie to the government. And there would be no way, they could report they were paying her a legal wage but actually weren't?

• Like 2

Just now, placeholder said:

"Her low pay meant she was unable to continue paying rent for her mum and children - and they were forced to leave their accommodation."

Becausse while that agency may be headed by evil S.O.B.s they wouldn't lie to the government. And there would be no way, they could report they were paying her a legal wage but actually weren't?

Please, as someone who has worked in these situations, allow my better knowledge to suggest things in this story aren't what they seem.

Cross referencing between the many different Gov departments when running care agencies and homes and offering sponsorships for visas, it would be very difficult to do what said agency has done if all other issues were legit.

Like I suggested before, I wouldn't be surprised if she is a victim of human trafficking. Possibly fake visas and/or passports. 

10 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Her family on the streets. I saw that. It doesn't say after how long. She still had accommodation to pay for. It says in the report they lived in separate accommodation. 

Also, in order to get her family to UK she would have needed to show her financial status. £2 an hour isn't going to work.

Like I said previously, I don't think all her story is true. There is a hint of sensationalism about it.

I would suggest she may be a victim of people trafficking. Possibly under faked visas. 

Like I said earlier, let your imagination fill in the gaps.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Like I said, I don't need to.

It's my job.

Which might explain this unsubstantiated guesswork of yours:

39 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I didn't know people traffickers provide work visa. Good to know.

"It's very rare to hear from a victim of modern slavery in person, but one woman who came to the UK on a work visa - and was forced to work gruelling hours as a carer - has told us her story.".

The whole story makes clear your suggestions are wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I didn't know people traffickers provide work visa. Good to know.

"It's very rare to hear from a victim of modern slavery in person, but one woman who came to the UK on a work visa - and was forced to work gruelling hours as a carer - has told us her story.".

The whole story makes clear your suggestions are wrong.

So, you are suggesting there are no such things as fake visas or passport and no such thing as people traffickers.

I would suggest you are wrong.

Anyway, the report agrees with me. I said " highly unlikely". The report says " very rare". 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You might like to read my previous comment on the matter. The comment you quoted is wide of the mark.

Sounds like one of the oldest bigot tropes to me youreavina. 'They're' invading 'us'. They're taking our jobs, they're ruining our society etc etc.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The care company Terri worked for is currently being investigated by another government department over the UK's skilled worker visa scheme, says Ian Waterfield, Head of Enforcement at the government-sponsored GLAA.

Like I said.....

Sounds like human trafficking.

Edited by youreavinalaff

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I don’t hear any Brits complaining after leaving their parents in care homes that are reliant on immigrants to do the caring.

This article is about domiciliary carers they don't work in care homes also another clue The car she had been promised to travel between clients did not materialise, so she had to walk to appointments Not something that would be required by someone working in a care home

16 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

This article is about domiciliary carers they don't work in care homes also another clue The car she had been promised to travel between clients did not materialise, so she had to walk to appointments Not something that would be required by someone working in a care home

The individual case, yes.

The report actually covers all adult social care. That is currently 1.6 million workers.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

So, you are suggesting there are no such things as fake visas or passport and no such thing as people traffickers.

I would suggest you are wrong.

Anyway, the report agrees with me. I said " highly unlikely". The report says " very rare". 

Clearly there’s such a thing as a strawman argument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

So immigrants are not providing care in the UK care homes?

“Reports of modern slavery double in UK care sector”

Care sector

Clearly the single case discussed in the report is not the only case and very clearly the fact she works in one are of the care sector does not preclude all the rest of the care sector, refer Nottingham University report I linked above.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So immigrants are not providing care in the UK care homes?

“Reports of modern slavery double in UK care sector”

Care sector

Clearly the single case discussed in the report is not the only case and very clearly the fact she works in one are of the care sector does not preclude all the rest of the care sector, refer Nottingham University report I linked above.

My reply was to your original post which isn't relevant in relation to the ops post as the ops post is related to domiciliary carers there are people that provide social care in people homes

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

My reply was to your original post which isn't relevant in relation to the ops post as the ops post is related to domiciliary carers there are people that provide social care in people homes

“Reports of modern slavery double in UK care sector

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Your go to comment when you disagree.

Predictable.

There is absolutely no indication in the report of visa status being anything to do with the example cases given or human trafficking, in fact the report makes it clear the woman in the example case had a visa.

But off you go, banging on about ‘sounds like people trafficking’ and fake visas.

Predictable!

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Refer title of thread for a clue.

Why underline words when the underline has no meaning 

You underline the words care sector and state you have provided a link and then no link is provided

Edited by vinny41
add