What is a letter certifying that I am ‘a member of the referred family’?

I’m applying for an extension of visa based on marriage (Nonthaburi in case somebody has recent experience, but this is from the official list of documents on the immigration website).

I have a Kor Ror 22 (married in UK) but item 6.3 makes no sense in English or Thai

”Letter from a government office, embassy or consultation, certifying that the applicant (me) is a member of the referred family.”

I guess that this means some sort of certification that I am still married to my wife? It follows the ‘family status registration’ (Kor Ror 22). If so, what kind of document is this? 

I’m from the UK and have family and friends there who can help if needed, but have no idea what to ask for. 

Also, is the Kor Ror 22, original marriage certificate from the UK and translation of marriage certificate  certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs sufficient? No need to have UK certify the marriage certificate if we already have the Kor Ror 22?  We got the Kor Ror 22 for my wife’s use rather than mine, 25 years ago and it is not ‘certified by local or overseas embassy or consulate’, although the marriage certificate translation is certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

This doesn’t seem to meet the requirement (“Documents under 6.2 (the Kor Ror 22) and 6.3 must be translated into English and certified by local or overseas Embassy to Consulate of the foreigner and by the Legalisation Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand”) but why would a Kor Ror 22 need to be translated to English? It is rather confusing. 

I’ll visit Nonthaburi immigration again before I submit an application but I’d like to understand the wording before I do. My experience is that they are not exactly squeaky clean there, at least in some cubicles.

11 hours ago, Nonthaburi Boy said:

I’m applying for an extension of visa based on marriage (Nonthaburi...

Are you talking about a one-year application for extension of stay with the form TM.7 as per this handbook published on the website of the Bureau of Immigration?

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/19-Public-Handbook-2.18-family-member-of-a-Thai-national.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for the handbook link! Much appreciated. Sorry, I should have said that this is for the initial 90 day extension to convert visa exempt entry to a non-O - after which I’ll begin the yearly extensions. 

I’ll look out the link for this doc. I have seen it before via the immigration website so I’ll try to find the link again. Pretty sure I got it via a post from somebody here. 

This is what I got from the immigration office. Second one so you can see the heading.

IMG_8218.jpeg

IMG_8217.jpeg

I understand your situation better now.

You arrived in Thailand visa-exempt (without a visa) and are now at the point where you apply at your immigration office with the form TM.87 for a non-O visa (non-immigrant visa category O)

I don't know who created the list you posted at or for the Nonthaburi immigration office, but it is wrong in many ways. 

Here is the list of instructions for the application with TM.87 published on the website of the Immigration Bureau:

https://www.immigration.go.th/en?page_id=2537

Number 8 in the list applies to you.

A request of an immigration office for an English translation of the KR.22 or any other Thai document makes no sense at all.

The second paragraph of item 6.2 (in Nonthaburi's list item 6.3) is badly written. What they really want to say is that if a document under 6.1 or 6.2 is neither in Thai nor in English, it must be translated into English etc.

Edited by Maestro
  • Like 1

Actually this is the list of documents required in the link to the immigration website given - item 8.  However, this morning I checked at the desk at the immigration office about item 6.3 and it appears I don’t need anything for that - just that the marriage certificate must have been translated to Thai/ stamped by Ministry of Foreign Affairs - which I believe was needed for the Kor Ror 22 anyway. Provided your District Office didn’t issue the Kor Ror 22 without such an MOFA certification I guess anyone can ignore that.

You’re right about the asterisked part (never doubted it but I thought I’d check while I was there) - it only applies if documents are not in English or Thai. However, it isn’t specifically part of 6.3 - it covers all of 6 to the extent applicable. 

However, we have to take a neighbour along when we apply. That’s doable but a little awkward, especially as there are so few seats at Nonthaburi. Apparently this would not be the case if I already had a non-O and was extending - not sure if it is required under a TM 86 (as you noted I am TM 87). However, just on that basis alone, if I could do it all again, being resident in Nonthaburi I would get a non-O to re-enter Thailand and start dealing with Nonthaburi immigration with that in my passport rather than visa exempt entry. Seems slightly less onerous in Bangkok.

On 7/27/2023 at 7:20 PM, Maestro said:

I understand your situation better now.

You arrived in Thailand visa-exempt (without a visa) and are now at the point where you apply at your immigration office with the form TM.87 for a non-O visa (non-immigrant visa category O)

I don't know who created the list you posted at or for the Nonthaburi immigration office, but it is wrong in many ways. 

Here is the list of instructions for the application with TM.87 published on the website of the Immigration Bureau:

https://www.immigration.go.th/en?page_id=2537

Number 8 in the list applies to you.

A request of an immigration office for an English translation of the KR.22 or any other Thai document makes no sense at all.

The second paragraph of item 6.2 (in Nonthaburi's list item 6.3) is badly written. What they really want to say is that if a document under 6.1 or 6.2 is neither in Thai nor in English, it must be translated into English etc.

Edited by Nonthaburi Boy

@OP > You might find this post useful, as it addresses options to apply for a 30-day and/or 60-day extension when you have insufficient time to meet the requirements for your 90-day Non Imm O (marriage) Visa application (which needs to be done when you have still at least 15 days left on your Permission to stay).

The post also addresses the required Khor-Ror-2 which is not only needed for a 60-day extension of stay, but also when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O (marriage) Visa as well as for any 1-year extensions of it.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1302500-30-or-60-days-extension-before-marriage-extension/?do=findComment&comment=18250265

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 12:49 PM, Red Phoenix said:

@OP > You might find this post useful, as it addresses options to apply for a 30-day and/or 60-day extension when you have insufficient time to meet the requirements for your 90-day Non Imm O (marriage) Visa application (which needs to be done when you have still at least 15 days left on your Permission to stay).

The post also addresses the required Khor-Ror-2 which is not only needed for a 60-day extension of stay, but also when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O (marriage) Visa as well as for any 1-year extensions of it.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1302500-30-or-60-days-extension-before-marriage-extension/?do=findComment&comment=18250265

Thanks. Khor Ror 22 for me (married overseas rather than in Thailand). I’ve already done one extension so am reluctant to waste more time on another but the 60-day extension on basis of visiting wife is something I never considered and should have. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

@areyouserious As I said above, you can safely ignore this item I think, as long as you have the other evidence of marriage (Kor Ror 2 or 22 and marriage documentation, plus any necessary translations). 

Not even Nonthaburi immigration appear to know what it is supposed to be, although in some rare circumstances perhaps it would make sense. 

Edited by Nonthaburi Boy