Denied entry.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:
1 hour ago, paulikens said:

Ok the details are....  I got a tourist visa in Penang but when i got to phuket airport i was still denied entry.  they claimed that because i had already had 5 months here. that i wasn't any tourist anymore.  so couldn't come in as a tourist.   And was living here according to them even though they had no evidence of that.    So, As it's a "minor offence"  (in other words the immigration gave me a trumped up charge.)   There was no overstay involved,  Would I be able to come back fairly quick?  maybe 3 months?

Expand  

Fly to Vientiane and enter immediately by land using the valid visa. Phuket immigration had no business denying your entry with a valid visa on those grounds.

On the contrary, it is 100% their business, IOs have the authority to decide who gets stamped in and, if abuse of a tourist visa is suspected (as in this case) entry can be refused. A valid visa is not a guarantee of entry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, hydraides said:

OP has stated he has stayed in Thailand long term (Longer than 5 months that he stated during the last few years) I'm guessing before his 5 month stay he had a few weeks break and before that had stayed in thailand for a few years all through COVID

But pure guesswork on your part as you say, though. As has already been suggested a number of times, the OP really needs to post on here a photo/scan of his denial of entry stamp stating IMM's specific reason for denying him entry.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

On the contrary, it is 100% their business, IOs have the authority to decide who gets stamped in and, if abuse of a tourist visa is suspected (as in this case) entry can be refused. A valid visa is not a guarantee of entry.

If he is suspected of working without a work permit (what they tend to suggest in the stamp denying entry) why do they not say so? What they told him was they felt he was a tourist for too long. That is not illegal abuse of a tourist visa, and there is no reason under Section 12 that justifies such a decision.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, treetops said:
37 minutes ago, bignok said:

3 day overstay

Excessive border hopping

Not in the spirit

The AN Forum Rules say "Please post accurate and helpful information".  Your drivel isn't really in the spirit of the rules but you're allowed to carry on posting.

The AN Forum Rules say "Please post accurate and helpful information".  Your admonishment of him isn't really in the spirit of the rules, either, but you're allowed to carry on posting!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If he is suspected of working without a work permit (what they tend to suggest in the stamp denying entry) why do they not say so? What they told him was they felt he was a tourist for too long. That is not illegal abuse of a tourist visa, and there is no reason under Section 12 that justifies such a decision.

You may not like it but they did it and it is all a bit too late now to be pointing out your legal interpretation of the IO actions. IOs have discretion, their job is not to dissuade legitimate tourists from visiting so why would they do that to a genuine tourist?

1 hour ago, paulikens said:

Yes, That's what I'm worried about.  Maybe it would be better to fly somewhere stay there for a bit and then try again?

Make sure you have 20K THB cash (or same amount in other currency) on you. If by land, don't use Poipet in Cambodia.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Such a bummer... SETV's were supposed to be safe for entry, but you probably got an officer having a bad day, as you said... As others said, you could try one on of 'safe' land border entries (but first inquire positive experiences with history similar as yours)... Same goes for flying into Chiang Mai... Safest (and pricy) bet would be using visa agent offering those VIP / Fast-Track (or whatever called) special services with guaranteed entry for a price... They can also assist in case of (attempted) entry denial like yours, again for a price (as user Jack... mentioned), but I guess it's too late since your denial is already finalized and you got it stamped, but if I'm you I'd call them anyway, before your deportation flight... it's TIT so who knows, $$$ goes a long way...

In any case, hope you can update us here on the procedures and a return to Penang, and on your next entry attempt, I'm sure many here would be very interested, thanks in advance and good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

If possible, post a picture of your denial of entry stamp, to help determine which specific reason they denied you entry for.

They typically claim a lack of funds. In that case, when making your next attempt to enter elsewhere, make sure to take along the requisite amount of cash (the equivalent of 20,000 baht) to be able to produce it if challenged or asked about the previous denial of entry.

It's possible he didn't get a denial stamp, and just told to buy a ticket back out, I'm not familiar with Phuket airport but at large airports you can usually make your way back to departures via the transit check with a boarding pass on your phone. Will be interested to hear.

Padang Besar is stricter than Sadao, but both can be a lottery.  At one point at PadangB, any foreigner with a tourist visa was shuffled into the office on the left hand side for questioning where the boss land had to do the entry. You're better using Sadao as that where all the minibuses of sweaty penang backpackers go through once they got their tourist visa on Chulia. Once you get to Hat Yai a taxi to airport then onwards to whereever you need to go domestically. Book a minibus anywhere on Chulia for around 300baht rather than arrange yourself, at 2hrs to border, 30 minutes messing about and another hour to hat yai town center it's just about bearable.

Edited by circa02
  • Like 1

Just now, lovesthespicy said:

Flying in is always a dice roll if you spent any recent time in Thailand. Travel to Laos or Cambo(one of the good borders) and you'll likely have no problems coming in. 

As i said before because i had been granted the visa already i didn't think there would be any problems

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, paulikens said:

As i said before because i had been granted the visa already i didn't think there would be any problems

Are you able to shed more light on the exact amount of time you've spent in Thailand over the last (let's say, 3) years? You said a hell of a lot, but didn't actually specify. 

11 minutes ago, bobcat888 said:

I got called paranoid for questioning about an entry with a similar history (5 months total duration in the last year).
Looks like I was right to be concerned...

Hardly the same, he has 5 months living in Thailand immediately before this visit, has a previous 3 day overstay and admits to spending a "hell of a lot of time in Thailand" prior to last 5 months (assuming years of stay)

You have 1 tourist visa and 1 visa exempt entry in the last year but go ahead and stay concerned

Edited by Pattaya57

13 minutes ago, paulikens said:

Another thing i was wondering... would i then be denied entry in neighbouring countries ie vietnam, Cambodia.   because it would flag up as soon as i entered.

I doubt it, what would flag up in another country? Did they mark your passport with denied entry?  Years ago when I was turned around at the border, the Malaysia officer on the other side of no mans land just laughed, said i was third one today they must be having a bad day over there and promptly undone my exit stamp. I'd leave it a day or two and try again via land border, I dont think you need to wait weeks or months if you didn't formally get denied entry stamp.

Edited by circa02

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The AN Forum Rules say "Please post accurate and helpful information".  Your admonishment of him isn't really in the spirit of the rules, either, but you're allowed to carry on posting!

My post was certainly accurate in saying he posts drivel, if not helpful to all (but perhaps to some).  Within the rules (and spirit) for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, circa02 said:

I doubt it, what would flag up in another country? Did they mark your passport with denied entry?  Years ago when I was turned around at the border, the Malaysia officer on the other side of no mans land just laughed, said i was third one today they must be having a bad day over there and promptly undone my exit stamp. I'd leave it a day or two and try again via land border, I dont think you need to wait weeks or months if you didn't formally get denied entry stamp.

Well I presume I will be getting a denial stamp as that's what's happened.  I don't know yet as I haven't had my passport back( I'm actually still in the detention room, I'm supposed to fly back tomorrow to penang) but i already had a form saying thats what it is, a denial of entry. 

• Sad 2

Just now, bobcat888 said:

Hey @paulikens - could you please answer my previous question about how much time in total you've spent in Thailand over the last 3 years?

Please define 'A hell of a lot of time'

two and a half years. but i was on a nonB for a year and a half of that.   Also before you say that's why you got denied.  my question was never why,  but just how long before i should try to get back in?

• Like 1