Thai National tests

My British son (8-years-old) switched from an International School to a Thai Bi-lingual/English Program school a year ago.

The school keeps sending me details of various external Tests such as Thailand English Skills Evaluation Test (TESET), the National Academic Test (NAT), Asian Science and Mathematics Olympiad (ASMO) and English Language competition, Japan International Science and Math Olympiad (JISMO).  They all require an entry fee, which is fine, but I have no idea how essential external tests like these are.  Do they have any bearing on the student's progress through the Thai system to Secondary level?  Or are they just a money-making exercise for Thai parents who like to show off their kids?

On 7/27/2023 at 5:36 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

My British son (8-years-old) switched from an International School to a Thai Bi-lingual/English Program school a year ago.

The school keeps sending me details of various external Tests such as Thailand English Skills Evaluation Test (TESET), the National Academic Test (NAT), Asian Science and Mathematics Olympiad (ASMO) and English Language competition, Japan International Science and Math Olympiad (JISMO).  They all require an entry fee, which is fine, but I have no idea how essential external tests like these are.  Do they have any bearing on the student's progress through the Thai system to Secondary level?  Or are they just a money-making exercise for Thai parents who like to show off their kids?

My kid's 11 yrs old and doesn't want to participate in all you listed. I really don't see a reason to. I'm thinking further along in the M2-6 yrs I'll push for her to test. Might be good for college admission.

54 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

My kid's 11 yrs old and doesn't want to participate in all you listed. I really don't see a reason to. I'm thinking further along in the M2-6 yrs I'll push for her to test. Might be good for college admission.

Thanks.  My thoughts too.  Thai education seems to love these "competitive" tests.