Russian Elites Are Transforming Thailand’s Biggest Island as They Become More Unwelcome in the West

webfact

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Greetings.

As you're Russian I would like to ask your opinion about the demographics of the Russians coming here now.

What percentage of the people coming would you classify as "fleeing" the war / avoiding conscription, etc. as opposed to "normal" tourists or expats in times of peace? 

Did he respond yet ? don't think so.....

"The island was on one of the major trading routes between India and China, and was frequently mentioned in foreign ships' logs of Portuguese, French, Dutch, and English traders, but was never colonised by a European power. It formerly derived its wealth from tin and rubber and now from tourism."

* Wikipedia (is never wrong, is it?) . . .

2 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

"The island was on one of the major trading routes between India and China, and was frequently mentioned in foreign ships' logs of Portuguese, French, Dutch, and English traders, but was never colonised by a European power. It formerly derived its wealth from tin and rubber and now from tourism."

* Wikipedia (is never wrong, is it?) . . .

Sino-Portuguese architecture dotted all over Phuket but especially in Phuket Town

10 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

The true face of Thailand. An utter disgrace.

Courting Russia, courting China, suppressing democracy in their own country, the elites and military having a stranglehold in their own country...any surprises here? How much Thailand has changed in the last 30 years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bbko said:

According to some on AN, Thais are racist, after reading through this thread it seems that trait isn't limited to Thais only.

Of course!

All humans are racists. It's in the DNA.

Some are very clever in hiding it - simple as that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Not only in Phuket.

Real estate companies in Pattaya told me the same. High increase in russians who want to rent and buy property also in Pattaya

same on KPhangan, taking everything over...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, HOOD Robin said:

Are you serious ?

I think you watch too much MSM...  ????

Please enlighten us as to what is MSM and to what is factual news?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

it's already happening recently a couple of new app's have started, they are Russians 

I had a young Russian neighbour ( AWOL soldier ) for a couple months, on one of a few conversations he told me about a Russian app that the Russian "community" on Phuket use where they log in and find out where all the Thai police road checks are in place, unbelievable...........infiltration of the Island lol..... 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

imagine what the place will be like in 1-2 yrs from now .... It'll be a dump ..... a little Moscow.

It'll put tourists off going there.   

I was there 4 months ago and it was already a little Moscow. Last time i will be going to Phuket.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

I had a young Russian neighbour ( AWOL soldier ) for a couple months, on one of a few conversations he told me about a Russian app that the Russian "community" on Phuket use where they log in and find out where all the Thai police road checks are in place, unbelievable...........infiltration of the Island lol..... 

Clever. Maybe they can break the dastardly transport mafia there?

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I was there 4 months ago and it was already a little Moscow. Last time i will be going to Phuket.

BS:
living here, hardly notice them around at all unless shopping in Villa or central
we wont miss ya 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/28/2023 at 9:13 AM, ChipButty said:

I suspect the Russians have something to do with the new project just coming up out of the ground in Rawai they flattened half the property along the beach front, looks like a huge project for Rawai, 

I've heard it's actually Chinese that are building that project but wouldn't be surprised if its Russian