Extension Immigration One Year Come Back to Visa non O Single Entry ?

Hello Sawasdee krub,

I am French Citizen 40 years Old, have a Son (15 years Old) I am living in Thailand about 13-15 years with a combination Visa Run, Tourist Visa (Before very easy no problem lol), and then Non O Single Entry (Thai Parent) with 60 days Extensions at my local Immigration....

Due to Covid Pandemic I stay to Thailand with special visa Covid (2020) and recently I got successfully 2* One Year Extension at my Immigration (August 2021 and August 2022).

I was wondering if I come back to Thai Embassy in Savanakhet to apply a Visa Non Immigrant O (90 days) based on parent of thai was possible and also if I extend my visa for 60 days (visit children) at my local immigration ? I affraid of Agent Immigration at Consulate, border and my local immigration " Why you don t make one year extension" lol

Thanks in advance

In your case being already on your 2nd Non Imm O Visa for reason of having a Thai dependant child, there is little benefit in going to Savannakhet and applying for the ME Non Imm O Visa for that reason there (and according to drJack such Visa is not even available there). 

The easiest way for you to continue staying long-term in Thailand is to apply again for the 1-year extension at your local Imm Office when your current Permission to stay is due to expire.  In case of dependant Thai children the financial requirement is that you can show +400K on your personal Thai bank-account at moment of application (so no need for any seasoning of the funds, and after the under consideration period when your application is approved, you can use those +400K as your please).  

Some Imm Offices have different financial requirements for such case, but as you already applied succesfully 2 times before, you will know the rules as applied by your local Imm Office.

NOTE that I do not see any benefit for you to apply first for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of dependant child.  The cost for such application (1.900,- THB) is same as for the 1-year extension application, and you can only do one 60-day extension per entry in Thailand that provided you with a new Permission to stay, so better keep that 60-day extension option up your sleeve, in case your 1-year extension application would be denied. 

45 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

In your case being already on your 2nd Non Imm O Visa for reason of having a Thai dependant child, there is little benefit in going to Savannakhet and applying for the ME Non Imm O Visa for that reason there (and according to drJack such Visa is not even available there). 

The easiest way for you to continue staying long-term in Thailand is to apply again for the 1-year extension at your local Imm Office when your current Permission to stay is due to expire.  In case of dependant Thai children the financial requirement is that you can show +400K on your personal Thai bank-account at moment of application (so no need for any seasoning of the funds, and after the under consideration period when your application is approved, you can use those +400K as your please).  

Some Imm Offices have different financial requirements for such case, but as you already applied succesfully 2 times before, you will know the rules as applied by your local Imm Office.

NOTE that I do not see any benefit for you to apply first for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of dependant child.  The cost for such application (1.900,- THB) is same as for the 1-year extension application, and you can only do one 60-day extension per entry in Thailand that provided you with a new Permission to stay, so better keep that 60-day extension option up your sleeve, in case your 1-year extension application would be denied. 

Obviously, your post makes sense. There can still sometimes be good reason to use the Non O visas instead.

According to my reading of Reason 2.18 for extension of stay, your child must be under 20 years old and (important) reside in the same household. That restriction does not apply when applying for a Non O visa in Savannakhet.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/29/2023 at 9:29 AM, BritTim said:

Obviously, your post makes sense. There can still sometimes be good reason to use the Non O visas instead.

According to my reading of Reason 2.18 for extension of stay, your child must be under 20 years old and (important) reside in the same household. That restriction does not apply when applying for a Non O visa in Savannakhet.

If my childen will be more 20 years old, and no go to school, Can I get one year extension at my local immigration ?

1 hour ago, galenjones said:

I recommend Tod Daniels "Visa Advice" in Facebook. 

in need of visa advice to a Facebook group called ' Thai Visa Advice ' and in particular, a guy called Tod Daniels who is a Moderator within that group 

Tod Daniels is an esteemed member of this forum and if you wish to attract his attention to a particular topic you can include @Tod Daniels in your post and he will get a notification alerting him to it. 

It's a nifty little trick I discovered not long ago. Works with any member name but should of course be used judiciously, ie definitely not for flaming, stalking or other nefarious motives.

2 hours ago, sarayoot said:

Ok Thank you but when my son will be more 20 Years Old Can I still Apply a Non Immigrant Visa O Single Entry in Savanakhet? Thanks

Yes, you can. You can also get a 60-day extension of it. The rules on visit visas and extensions and different from those for long term extensions to live with them.

Hello I have a last question ...I was wondering if is it possible :

My One Year Extension (visit children) finish at August 26th, So Can I get an extension 60 days (visit chidlren - without financial proof) at my local immigration and then it expire, Can I get a One Year Extension (with financial proof) Or Can I have to go outside Thailand and a new visa Non Immigrant O before and then apply a one year extension ? 

Thanks in advance

45 minutes ago, sarayoot said:

Hello I have a last question ...I was wondering if is it possible :

My One Year Extension (visit children) finish at August 26th, So Can I get an extension 60 days (visit chidlren - without financial proof) at my local immigration and then it expire, Can I get a One Year Extension (with financial proof) Or Can I have to go outside Thailand and a new visa Non Immigrant O before and then apply a one year extension ? 

Thanks in advance

All of those options are possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Just come back to Savannakhet, I try to get for a Non Immigrant O (Thai Child) Multiple Entry but got only a Single Entry the agent said  "Only Marry" lol

I attached many paperworks (bookbank, pictures etc) like to extend One Year extension at immigration but not possible lol

In 3 months I will try to get Multiple Entry in Penang lol

On 8/2/2023 at 11:31 AM, BritTim said:

Can I get an extension 60 days (visit chidlren - without financial proof) at my local immigration and then it expire, Can I get a One Year Extension (with financial proof) Or Can I have to go outside Thailand and a new visa Non Immigrant O before and then apply a one year extension ? 

I think the question here may be whether you can get an extension after the visa has expired.  An extension is only available if you have a current Non-Immigrant O visa, and most offices will require that you have sufficient time remaining on the visa for the application process to be completed. Here in Phuket it's 15 working days now I believe.

Or Can I have to go outside Thailand and a new visa Non Immigrant O before and then apply a one year extension ?

If you entered visa-exempt you can also apply in-country for the initial Non-O based on Thai dependent (TM86 or TM87 - can't remember), and then for an extension.  Might save you some travelling expense and stress.

1 minute ago, RedCardinal said:

I think the question here may be whether you can get an extension after the visa has expired.  An extension is only available if you have a current Non-Immigrant O visa, and most offices will require that you have sufficient time remaining on the visa for the application process to be completed. Here in Phuket it's 15 working days now I believe.

Leaving aside the fact that you assigned your quote to the wrong poster ...

The expiry date of the original Non O visa is irrelevant. What is important is that you apply for an extension before the end of the 90-day permission to stay you receive from the visa.

You can apply for an extension of your permission to stay right up to the last day of your existing permission to stay.

If applying for a visa at Immigration, you must have at least 15 days (up to 21 days at some offices) left on your current permission to stay on the day you submit the application.

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The expiry date of the original Non O visa is irrelevant. What is important is that you apply for an extension before the end of the 90-day permission to stay you receive from the visa.

You can apply for an extension of your permission to stay right up to the last day of your existing permission to stay.

I've just gone through this process in Phuket, and my initial application was declined due to insufficient remaining time on original visa Non-O SE.  The Non-O was valid for 2 further weeks.  I then had to get a 60-day extension, and even though I re-applied for the 1-yr extension 27 days before the new extension expired, there was resistance due to approaching national holidays.  So clearly YMMV, due to IO on the day, location, the prevailing direction of the wind etc. 

Hopefully might be useful to someone.

2 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

I've just gone through this process in Phuket, and my initial application was declined due to insufficient remaining time on original visa Non-O SE.  The Non-O was valid for 2 further weeks.  I then had to get a 60-day extension, and even though I re-applied for the 1-yr extension 27 days before the new extension expired, there was resistance due to approaching national holidays.  So clearly YMMV, due to IO on the day, location, the prevailing direction of the wind etc. 

Hopefully might be useful to someone.

That does not make sense. If you enter with a Non O visa, you are given an initial 90-day permission to stay which you can extend for one year at any time during the final 30 days of this initial permission to stay.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

That does not make sense. If you enter with a Non O visa, you are given an initial 90-day permission to stay which you can extend for one year at any time during the final 30 days of this initial permission to stay.

I entered visa-exempt. I then applied for Non-O visa in-country giving me 90 days. 2 weeks before those 90 days expired I applied for, and was declined, 1yr extension with reason given by Phuket Immigration insufficient time remaining on current visa.  I then applied for a 60-day extension as advised by Phuket Immigration to overcome the time issue.  When I returned with 27 days remaining on that extension I was again told that this might be problematic due to multiple national holidays and insufficient time.  So perhaps Phuket Immigration has their own rules relating to this?  

I'm trying to help others by simply reporting my recent experience.  You can tell me all day that I can apply for the 1 year extension at any time during the final 30 days.  That won't change the fact that Phuket Immigration declined my first application despite having 2 weeks remaining, and then seemed unhappy on attempt 2 with 27 days stay remaining.  As I noted previously - YMMV.

10 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

That won't change the fact that Phuket Immigration declined my first application despite having 2 weeks remaining, and then seemed unhappy on attempt 2 with 27 days stay remaining. 

Cannot understand the refusal with 27 days remaining.

Did you ask to speak with supervisor

As for first refusal thinking Phuket require 15 business days remaining, so understand first refusal.

CM require 21 days.

Folk need to find out what their particular office require. 

Out of interest what did you do after second refusal? 

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As for first refusal thinking Phuket require 15 business days remaining, so understand first refusal.

CM require 21 days.

I think you need to reread his post. He claimed that he applied for and received the Non O visa at Immigration after entering visa exempt, and was subsequently denied an extension because his permission to stay had less than 15 days remaining on the initial 90 days. Extensions are always, in principle, at the discretion of the Immigration officials, but I absolutely do not understand this one based on the claimed reason.

On 8/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, DrJack54 said:

Cannot understand the refusal with 27 days remaining.

Did you ask to speak with supervisor

They accepted my second application, but the IO at the time kept telling me he thought "not have enough time to complete".  He then gave me the runaround for the Video Tour of my home for 5 straight days, each day saying "maybe tomorrow", after he missed the appointed time he gave the first day.  Being honest, I was waiting for some sort of tea money request to make sure it all worked out.  My visa was approved late last week, after 28 days under consideration.  

On 8/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, DrJack54 said:

CM require 21 days.

I think this is the point I was hoping to try to make - it's not as simple as rolling up any time before your Non-O expires in some provinces.  

On 8/24/2023 at 6:59 PM, BritTim said:

He claimed that he applied for and received the Non O visa at Immigration after entering visa exempt, and was subsequently denied an extension because his permission to stay had less than 15 days remaining on the initial 90 days. Extensions are always, in principle, at the discretion of the Immigration officials, but I absolutely do not understand this one based on the claimed reason.

Simply reporting my experience.  Phuket IOs seem to make their own rules a lot of the time.  Another example - they insisted that my rental lease agreement must have at least 6 months validity remaining (I've been at the same address for 11 years, but still had to get a new lease for a further year), which makes absolutely no sense at all.  My best guess is that they don't want to deal with applicants directly as it gives them less time to bank funds from the insane number of agents operating in the Phuket office anytime I visit.

C'est la vie.