You just won $1,000,000, US Dollars

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Give most of it to family and friends, I have everything I need. I would fly business class, that's it.

My wife has some health issues, so when she flew back to the states, she went first class. It was $5K and a great experience. 6 months later, that same flight now costs $12K.

But at my age, I have to spend it down. So with an extra mill in the bank, We could both do that 4 times without even really denting the mill.

That's what luxury is about; you have too much money -various purveyors want to help you out with that.

6 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:
7 hours ago, Robin said:

Put the money in my bank account and not tell anyone about it.

and then what? just keep it for security?

Show off the balance (or part of it) at Immigration when extending a retirement visa, having the IOs line up and kowtow for a small tip...

Then again, winning 1 million dollars, I'd probably head for greener pastures.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

what a waste...

That's what I'm saying, at a certain point, it's not "what a waste", it's how can I waste more?

See also: BS high end whiskey like Johnny Walker Blue Label. The people paying $220 for a bottle of whiskey are mad that they're not drinking a $1000 whiskey. They can only drink so much in a lifetime; be gone swill!! The people drinking Johnny Walker Blue are successful dentists, not true VIP's. 

Thrift alert: JW-Blue is only $160 in Vientiane.

30 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

See also: BS high end whiskey like Johnny Walker Blue Label. The people paying $220 for a bottle of whiskey are mad that they're not drinking a $1000 whiskey.

I like the occasional glass of red wine, but I would still keep away from what is on shelves in Thailand. (Either undrinkable, or ridiculously expensive.) Instead I'd probably pay 10$ a bottle more when in Oz, asking myself at the same time whether this is not too extravagant...

I never cared about money. (As long as I could pay my bills.) - 1 million dollars extra? My lifestyle wouldn't change much, besides spending a bit more for travelling. And the rest would be for possible medical emergencies.

• Like 1

That's an easy question to answer:

a. Give USD1.00 to GF

b. Move back to The Main Line (Gladwyne)

c. Or, better yet, move back to Old Black Point, Ct.

d. Hire French maid

e. Relax in oceanfront property in Old Black Point, Ct.

image.jpeg.87575c7eaa7323223a0ba67c7e73a125.jpeg

Nothing could be finer.

Oh lala!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Instead I'd probably pay 10$ a bottle more when in Oz, asking myself at the same time whether this is not too extravagant...

I never cared about money. (As long as I could pay my bills.) - 1 million dollars extra? My lifestyle wouldn't change much, besides spending a bit more for travelling. And the rest would be for possible medical emergencies.

But if you had the choice of spending it or leaving it behind (assuming loved ones were taken care of), what blow out thing would you buy? I've seen Tuscan Super Red's for $200+ a bottle.

Toss another million on to my pile, and I'd add a thousand dollar a week onto my budget until death

-I'd be taking some pricey South Seas cruises, maybe getting a personal driver and chef. Def would have Pied de Terre in Silom.

Some one asked Howard Hughes butler, how much money did he leave? The butler replied:

"All of it". A lesson for us all.

Edited by LaosLover

1m USD is a lot of money, but not enough to never work again - at least if we are not already old.

Personally I would do the same as always with gradual changes. I.e. go more often to good restaurants, buy some more tools, maybe a new bike, etc.

And for the gf: If she doesn't know about it, don't tell her. If she knows a lot of money is coming, give her what she thinks is "a lot of money", maybe 100,000 THB. 

I promised a previous GF that if I did win the lottery I would give her 50%.

When I finally won on the Thai lottery . I gave her Bht 500 and told her politely to leave! 555

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

give her what she thinks is "a lot of money", maybe 100,000 THB. 

I know a guy who inherited 1.3 million Brit pounds... he gave his wife of 20+ years, lovely lady, he gave her 200,000 baht and then she paid 100,000 for him when he had a medical issue... the poor lady is near 60, still works a menial job and has no security, that she knows of... I feel sorry for her... 

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

1m USD is a lot of money, but not enough to never work again - at least if we are not already old.

2 scenarios;

... now, retired, don't need extra money, so that would add 50k USD to the play budget, for the next 20 years, and highly unlikely I'd live that long.

... If 30 yrs younger, still working, then I'd buy 15 rental properties, Section 8 them (USA govt housing), net at least $750 a month, each X 15 = 11k+ a month income, then stick with original plan, visit all the Nat Parks in USA, and anywhere else, then after those 5 yrs, deciding where to live, with nice $135k a year income.  

And .... still have over 1 million in RE equity ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

But if you had the choice of spending it or leaving it behind (assuming loved ones were taken care of), what blow out thing would you buy? I've seen Tuscan Super Red's for $200+ a bottle.

200 dollars for a bottle of wine?? (Am I supposed to keep it in a safe?)

Perhaps I'd hire a crew to shove and pull me up safely Mt. Everest (no helicopter, thanks), also cordon off the route for a day or two just to give me a headstart to the crowds...

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I recently bought a $150 polo shirt, so I might upgrade all of my $70 ones. I see Versace has $1,000 polo shirts, so put me down for two.

I might buy an old Buddha at River City High End Antique Mall. A high quality fake one.

Other than that, I can't spend the money I already have.

If I order in Starbucks, go out for sushi, make a booze or pot run, and tip like I'm going to death row, it's still hard to crack a $100 bill a day here.

How many toddler arm-sized river prawns am I expected to choke down?

it's still hard to crack a $100 bill a day here.

But we are complaining about 50 - 100 Baht or so inreases in entrance fees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

a. Give USD1.00 to GF

(...)

d. Hire French maid

I like it. Call my ex-girlfriend, telling her about the lottery win, and that I want to 'share with her'. Going to meet her with maid in tow, giving her $1, but the French maid $300,000 (payable after her employment, so that she doesn't quit)...