You just won $1,000,000, US Dollars

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO the Americano you cite is made by Starbucks.

@OneMoreFarang

I think I should have said 'drip' coffee, although rarely made in coffee shops, and they use espresso.

"Difference Between Americano and Drip Coffee

Once again, the difference between the two is that drip coffee doesn’t have espresso shots. But Americano does, which is why its flavor is comparatively a lot bolder."

My 'drip Americano' is 3 to 1 ratio, water / coffee by wt/ml

I'm not going with the 'lot bolder' from Thai coffee shops, especially since I'm using 50gr of coffee to start.  Most people think I make coffee too strong.  Go figure.

On topic as always .... something to splurge on with that 1M ... fancy espresso machine.

Our coffee machine is 15bar, and I think too strong to extract a good espresso.  Not much difference in my coffee, whether I make it from the machine, French Press, or Moka Pot.  Use drip since easiest.

Actually the Moka gives the best yield for a  strong cup, but more effort, and I like filtering out the cafestol, with the 'drip' method. 

image.png.536df838b7e3b61b35619855a6d690ad.png

Edited by KhunLA

On 7/29/2023 at 4:17 PM, LaosLover said:

My wife has some health issues, so when she flew back to the states, she went first class. It was $5K and a great experience. 6 months later, that same flight now costs $12K.

But at my age, I have to spend it down. So with an extra mill in the bank, We could both do that 4 times without even really denting the mill.

That's what luxury is about; you have too much money -various purveyors want to help you out with that.

i imagine they use real cheese for the Grilled Cheese in 1st class! AUCE falafel as well

35 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i imagine they use real cheese for the Grilled Cheese in 1st class! AUCE falafel as well

Rich people don't eat a lot of cheese. The want pricier protein.

And:

It's snobbery to say that a single malt is de facto better than a blended whiskey. I bought some single malts from Tesco that were pretty rough. Chivas Regal was good enough for Sinatra and The Rat Pack. And they could drink anything. A bar pour of Bells is not to be under-rated.

JW-Blue has some tiny dribs and drabs of 75 year old whiskey. As a duty-free impulse buyer, I like the airport-only JW green and the two bottles of gold for half off the second bottle. Double black is like sucking on a lump of charcoal.

-If you have too much money, than you have to buy more and stupider stuff. Or just leave that money on the shelf.

At my age, 70, I don't want to leave too much on the shelf, and I can't really absorb much more stuff.

So that leaves only stupid-buying, which is the subject of this thread.

39 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

And:

It's snobbery to say that a single malt is de facto better than a blended whiskey. I bought some single malts from Tesco that were pretty rough. Chivas Regal was good enough for Sinatra and The Rat Pack. And they could drink anything. A bar pour of Bells is not to be under-rated.

JW-Blue has some tiny dribs and drabs of 75 year old whiskey. As a duty-free impulse buyer, I like the airport-only JW green and the two bottles of gold for half off the second bottle. Double black is like sucking on a lump of charcoal.

-If you have too much money, than you have to buy more and stupider stuff. Or just leave that money on the shelf.

At my age, 70, I don't want to leave too much on the shelf, and I can't really absorb much more stuff.

I beg to differ. When I was a member of a very prestigious golf club in Australia, an assortment of cheeses was mandatory to go with coffee and liqueurs at the end of any function. There were some seriously wealthy people in the club, and they tucked in along with everyone else.

As far as distinguishing whiskies goes, I am a lost cause, because I drown it with Coke anyway. I probably could not tell the difference between the most expensive single malt, and kitchen whisky.

Forget this piddling million dollars. Next Saturday in Australia, the Lotto jackpot is $100 million. Yes, I have a ticket.

Cheese and coffee AND Liqueurs borders on the bulimic.

The young want lighter tastes: whiskey and cognac are not status signifiers like they are for our age.

They have their own stupid stuff to take money out into a field and burn it over. When I went to Ko Phangan for the Full Moon party, a Trance-wear (it's a thing) tee shirt was $400.

Hot air balloon rides are $500 a pop. Any takers here?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Johnny Walker is a blended whisky, streets away from a single malt prestige whisky.

A Scots millionaire who owned a distillery attempted to educate me in the finest whiskies he had. Regrettably, I have plebeian tastes in that area, he visibly shuddered when I said i usually drank whisky with coke. Laphroiag and Glenfiddich, according to him, were middle range commercial whiskies.

For those who would like to know how to drink whisky as it should be done. pour one dram, add one drop of water to release the bouquet. Ice is a no-no. Sip slowly.

In principle he is right. And in you are in the highlands, sitting in front of the open fire, then that is probably the way to do it.

In a gogo-bar all night long not so much. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqUUNkcobH6RIlMxjlpUL

On 7/29/2023 at 4:52 PM, LaosLover said:

That's what I'm saying, at a certain point, it's not "what a waste", it's how can I waste more?

See also: BS high end whiskey like Johnny Walker Blue Label. The people paying $220 for a bottle of whiskey are mad that they're not drinking a $1000 whiskey. They can only drink so much in a lifetime; be gone swill!! The people drinking Johnny Walker Blue are successful dentists, not true VIP's. 

Thrift alert: JW-Blue is only $160 in Vientiane.

JW Blue? What kind of <deleted> is that?

On 7/31/2023 at 3:52 PM, LaosLover said:

And:

im loso using the processed cheese for my grilled cheese and oil instead of butter

and i was born a sangsom guy and i will die a sangsom guy..maybe sooner cos of it ????

I am a tea snob but u knew that already!

On 7/29/2023 at 1:19 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

Assuming a long time GF or wife, how much would you give to her?

As long as I wasn't in a western country ( where the law probably says she gets half ) why would I give her anything? If I was paying her for her body she already gets paid, and if she actually loved me ( :cheesy: ) I'd just buy her stuff and she'd get to live in a better house with a better lifestyle.

Remember, money doesn't make you happy- it's what you do with money that makes you happy.

On 8/1/2023 at 12:01 AM, LaosLover said:

Are go-go drinks diluted? I only have one about every 1,000 days and they always seem fine to me.

Could go-go drink-buying and bell-ringing be a way to get rid of a million dollars medium-fast?

If I won a million $ and had more than I could spend left when I was on my death bed I'd be very annoyed with myself.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As long as I wasn't in a western country ( where the law probably says she gets half ) why would I give her anything? If I was paying her for her body she already gets paid, and if she actually loved me ( :cheesy: ) I'd just buy her stuff and she'd get to live in a better house with a better lifestyle.

Remember, money doesn't make you happy- it's what you do with money that makes you happy.

Spending money doesnt make you happy. Its attitude that creates happiness.

16 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

im loso using the processed cheese for my grilled cheese and oil instead of butter

and i was born a sangsom guy and i will die a sangsom guy..maybe sooner cos of it ????

I am a tea snob but u knew that already!

Best tea farms in Chiang Mai?

On 7/31/2023 at 5:42 AM, Lacessit said:

Forget this piddling million dollars. Next Saturday in Australia, the Lotto jackpot is $100 million. Yes, I have a ticket.

that kind of money requires a lot of intelligence and wisdom and maturity to manage or it can bring a lot of trouble. 

you would need to know how to distribute it among family to avoid squabbles ... good luck with that kind of money. 

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

that kind of money requires a lot of intelligence and wisdom and maturity to manage or it can bring a lot of trouble. 

you would need to know how to distribute it among family to avoid squabbles ... good luck with that kind of money. 

Quite right. My first thought was having that amount of money would make one a target for every grifter and kidnapper on the planet, so identity protection would be my first priority.

I  once saw Tiger Woods at a golf tournament in Australia. His bodyguards walking around the course with him were four very big black guys, all with expressions that said don't mess with me.

Various surveys say a single male is most happy around the $75K mark. Assuming no debt and a property investment, that puts you on track for early retirement, dating around, and a toy or two.

I have a 52 year-old friend who makes $85K. He's mono-focused on retirement to São Paulo in 8 years (he likes that flavor). He will live a life where he has every pleasure satisfied.

Elon Musk can't have as much fun as he will. It takes more than money; it takes informed hedonism.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

why would I give her anything?

It is called sharing and kindness -- it emanates from love for someone and wanting to see them have a good life... no wonder your marriage was a total failure. And you blame her and her family. 

If I was paying her for her body she already gets paid,

Another good reason your marriage failed - I always thought of it as commitment to share family and a life together - some people do that you know.

it's what you do with money that makes you happy.

I always found that sharing my good fortune w/my wife and her family made me happy - and it served as a motivator to spur me on to make more. 

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Which is why you don't tell them.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which is why you don't tell them.

Unless of course you have the simple understanding that sharing good news is a wonderful part of a relationship.. How could you not know this? My favorite part of making money was telling my wife...