Ayuthaya nightlife

bignok

Hua Hin is like Soho compared to Ayuthaya. As a ruin, it's underwhelming. That night cruise? A mosquito-infested swat-fest. And I was burning a coil on the boat. Sukothai trounces Ayuthaya and then some.

It's a good place to shop for amulets and small statues. Since it's a pilgrimage stop, lots of stuff is made there and/or ends up there.

When I was still collecting Nang Kwak's and stuff like that, about 20% of my stuff came from there. You can get a half-meter plastic Nang Kwak for 500 baht.

A 7/11 Chang and some amulet haggling in the PM? Sign me up. Pass the Santip.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Hua Hin is like Soho compared to Ayuthaya. As a ruin, it's underwhelming. That night cruise? A mosquito-infested swat-fest. And I was burning a coil on the boat. Sukothai trounces Ayuthaya and then some.

It's a good place to shop for amulets and small statues. Since it's a pilgrimage stop, lots of stuff is made there and/or ends up there.

When I was still collecting Nang Kwak's and stuff like that, about 20% of my stuff came from there. You can get a half-meter plastic Nang Kwak for 500 baht.

A 7/11 Chang and some amulet haggling in the PM? Sign me up. Pass the Santip.

Ok 

I stayed in Ayutthaya for a few days in January 2022, mostly hiked around in the day, rested in my room at night. Burmese sacked the city in 1767. Now it feels very depressing, destroyed temples, headless Buddha statues, etc. Most people didn't know much English. There was a lot of plastic trash, similar to much of Thailand. The floating market was not happening. There were a few museums open.

On 8/1/2023 at 4:17 AM, ibjoe said:

I stayed in Ayutthaya for a few days in January 2022, mostly hiked around in the day, rested in my room at night. Burmese sacked the city in 1767. Now it feels very depressing, destroyed temples, headless Buddha statues, etc. Most people didn't know much English. There was a lot of plastic trash, similar to much of Thailand. The floating market was not happening. There were a few museums open.

The historic ruins north of Ayutthaya are better and less tourist over run IMO. Don't remember the name, but west of Uttaradit.