Using a Kasikorn Bank debit card online for airline ticket purchase.

On 7/30/2023 at 10:51 AM, sapson said:

But from the responses it seems if i enter my account name i will have no problem, next day or when take the plunge will see, have to increases my transaction limit first ...air fares are outrageous....

I have a Bangkok Bank debit card and have been told by my Bank Manager that there is a limit of 100,000THB for farangs. Therefore I have been unable to use it for airline tickets to UK. I believe this is the same for all banks but if anyone knows differently, please say.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2023 at 2:36 PM, clearance said:

You can see the name attached to a card in the mobile application in the card details.
But the better option is to apply for a virtual card (in the same app). It is more secure because you can set separated limits for a virtual card and you can re-issue it at any moment if you feel that data is compromised. 

I don't know if the virtual card is the same thing as the K-WEB shopping card, but they stopped that one a few months ago.

On 7/30/2023 at 10:23 AM, sapson said:

So in short using your account name will be tracked matched by software to the card number and transaction completed ......to be confirmed or otherwise soon.

As an online merchant, I can tell you that there is no name check or matching for credit or debit cards in online transactions. The data matched to the card number is limited to: expiry date, 3 digit cvn security code, address numbers (if any), postcode numbers (if any). Nowadays 3DS verification (2FA) by text or app approval is more often also required for online transactions. The airline may want to see the card (pyhsical or virtual) at check-in.

I've used my physical Kasikorn Visa card online to buy airline tickets with Air Asia, Bangkok Air and Emirates with no problems whatsoever.  The Emirates fare was ฿110,000 and it just went through without a murmur.  Mind you, I used the Kasikorn App to set the spending limits accordingly to allow the transaction.  No problem was encountered because the card name says "Privileged Member" and I always use the name in my passport in full as the card name, as that is the name on the account in the "Book Bank".  I can report that the card works in ATMs here in the UK and the six digit pin isn't a problem either.  In fifty years of flying, no airline has ever asked to see the card used to buy my ticket.

1 hour ago, DiDiChok said:

I've used my physical Kasikorn Visa card online to buy airline tickets with Air Asia, Bangkok Air and Emirates with no problems whatsoever.  The Emirates fare was ฿110,000 and it just went through without a murmur.  Mind you, I used the Kasikorn App to set the spending limits accordingly to allow the transaction.  No problem was encountered because the card name says "Privileged Member" and I always use the name in my passport in full as the card name, as that is the name on the account in the "Book Bank".  I can report that the card works in ATMs here in the UK and the six digit pin isn't a problem either.  In fifty years of flying, no airline has ever asked to see the card used to buy my ticket.

Thanks for the info soon to book so should work just using my account name. Going to be using it in the UK, called the customer service to confirm activation ok for UK usage and up spending limit, she did warn of 2.5% transaction charge and low exchange rates, guess to be expected better than carrying too much cash until Ive set up a Uk account Wise etc seemingly not so easy to do.

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

As an online merchant, I can tell you that there is no name check or matching for credit or debit cards in online transactions. The data matched to the card number is limited to: expiry date, 3 digit cvn security code, address numbers (if any), postcode numbers (if any). Nowadays 3DS verification (2FA) by text or app approval is more often also required for online transactions. The airline may want to see the card (pyhsical or virtual) at check-in.

Thanks, likely why the guy using privileged member had no problems.

• 9 months later...

I'm going to book a flight with my debit card from Kasikorn. There's no name on the card but I have used it online.

In fact last week I used it to pay for a year of advert free youtube as the ads were annoying me.

When I look in the Kasikorn app on my phone I see that the debit card is listed with my full name along with the number, expiry date and security code.

Also - I would like to use this card while I'm down in Cambodia but have no trust that it will actually work - I don't believe anything the drones in the bank say. They told me before it would work about 10 years ago and it didn't.

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

Also - I would like to use this card while I'm down in Cambodia but have no trust that it will actually work - I don't believe anything the drones in the bank say. They told me before it would work about 10 years ago and it didn't.

I went to Yangon, Myanmar in March 2023. There were four modern ATMs in the airport arrivals. Not one of them would accept my Wise card (suspect woke Wise are embargoeing/sanctioning the country - although my UK MBNA credit card worked fine in Yangon bars/restaurants). My Thai Kasikornbank card worked fine in the first ATM I tried. I also used a Kasikoenbank card successfully at an ATM in Dawei in 2016. I don't see why you would have any issue at all in Cambodia with a Kasikornbank card. Always good to have several cards just in case of issues though.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

I use my Kasikorn Bank Visa debit card at ATMs in Cambodia and Vietnam quite often, never a problem and I get an instant notification same as in Thailand. 

• Like 1