Need help with Google Drive

thoengthaied

Hi all. I use a Chromebook. I am having difficulty uploading a photo of my passport to an airline in order for them to to amend my name on my flight ticket. 

I have taken a photo of my passport and shared it with Google Drive. The photo appears in Google Drive under My Pictures but when I try to upload it in an email I have this problem....I click on the paper clip icon in the email to attach a file and Google Drive opens up BUT the photo of my passport is nowhere to be found. I have tried to take another photo and share it with Google Drive again but this time I have changed the photo (file) number to "My Passport" It appears in Google Drive and I have moved it to a sub folder "Important images of personal documents" under "My pictures" It appears there in that file when I access Google Drive normally, but when I try to attach the file(photo) to the email, the photo is nowhere to be found. I am so frustrated now by this. Previously I have been able to attach files with no problem. Could it be something like the file size is too big? If that is so, I need instructions on how to reduce the file size please. I am at my wits end after trying so many times, hence I have turned to this forum for advice and help. Regards, thoengthaied.

1 hour ago, amexpat said:

Can you just put the photo on the desktop and attach it to email from there? Or am I missing something? 
Gmail can send up to 25 mb. 

Thank you amexpat. I have always just used the "Share" option which is shown at the bottom of the screen of the photo and this gives me an option of "Drive". so I click on that and the photo is sent to Google Drive. 

I don't know how to put the photo on the desktop. Can you talk me through that please.

Edited by thoengthaied

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

Download or save the photo to your device (not to drive), then try and upload it from there.

Thank you. I need instructions on how to save the photo to my device. I take the photo with my smartphone and it appears in my "Photos" album from where I usually save it to Google Drive (Which I am now finding too complicated for this old man!). I need to know where, if I save to my device (chromebook) can I find it....where does it go to? And will I be able to then send it to an email by clicking on the paperclip icon in the email?

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

Who told you to buy a Chromebook? Find them and make them pay. 
Meanwhile: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rfrdHCxnpGw

Yes. I agree. However, at the time I needed a 15 inch screen and did a bit of research and then found a new chromebook for sale on bahtsold. The price was extremely cheap and I used it for 5 years. It was a learning experience but I was happy enough with it and I didn't have to do the tasks of running anti virus programmes etc. etc. I then bought another chromebook and am using it now, but it does have problems such as this and I'm now getting extremely frustrated with it. So I'll give myself a kick in the pants!! Meanwhile, thank you for that link. It was extremely useful.

Edited by thoengthaied
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thoengthaied said:

Thank you. I need instructions on how to save the photo to my device. I take the photo with my smartphone and it appears in my "Photos" album from where I usually save it to Google Drive (Which I am now finding too complicated for this old man!). I need to know where, if I save to my device (chromebook) can I find it....where does it go to? And will I be able to then send it to an email by clicking on the paperclip icon in the email?

When using Google Drive and you want to share something you need to create a link, send that and the recipient can download it.

A bit over the top for what you are doing. Simplest solution is just to transfer the photo to the computer, several ways but without using a cable one of the easiest is to use Google Photos.

When you take a photo with your phone a copy is created in Google Photos. On your Chromebook open up Google Photos and you should see the photo, click to select, then click the 3 dots and you can download to a folder of choice. You can then send it like a normal attachment,

It is a while since I got rid of my Chromebook but if you are using the Chrome browser it should look the same. In the upper RH corner there should be a square from dots,click on that and you will see the Google services, scroll down to find Photos, looks like a coloured propeller.

Failing that, key it into the browser. Good luck.

BTW. Google Photos is stored on Google Drive but you can't see them on the drive.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

When using Google Drive and you want to share something you need to create a link, send that and the recipient can download it.

A bit over the top for what you are doing. Simplest solution is just to transfer the photo to the computer, several ways but without using a cable one of the easiest is to use Google Photos.

When you take a photo with your phone a copy is created in Google Photos. On your Chromebook open up Google Photos and you should see the photo, click to select, then click the 3 dots and you can download to a folder of choice. You can then send it like a normal attachment,

It is a while since I got rid of my Chromebook but if you are using the Chrome browser it should look the same. In the upper RH corner there should be a square from dots,click on that and you will see the Google services, scroll down to find Photos, looks like a coloured propeller.

Failing that, key it into the browser. Good luck.

BTW. Google Photos is stored on Google Drive but you can't see them on the drive.

Excellent. Thank you,sandyf.

• Thanks 1