Thailand Law and Order Non-Existent?

Brewster67

In UK a teacher who rapes children would get jail time and not just transferred to another school so he can rape more.

Speaking of children, your reasoning in your original post rivals the intellect of a 5 year old.

Something to think about.

Edited by Celsius
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, stoner said:

or hating your own home ? 

Thailand is my home, NOT the UK sh*******

Look up the word 'home' in the dictionary, it doesn't define it as the country you were born in, it is the place where you live.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Celsius said:

In UK a teacher who rapes children would get jail time and not just transferred to another school so he can rape more.

Speaking of children, your reasoning in your original post rivals the intellect of a 5 year old.

Something to think about.

You point to a single example that is an exception to reinforce your narrative that Thailand is a terrible lawless place... Then end with an insult to show everyone who really IS the child here..... Added to my 'ignore list'....

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

Thailand is my home, NOT the UK sh*******

Look up the word 'home' in the dictionary, it doesn't define it as the country you were born in, it is the place where you live.

you know what i meant. homeland....better. 

and in that same context....your home which was originally the UK was the place that molded you and made you who you are. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

You point to a single example that is an exception to reinforce your narrative that Thailand is a terrible lawless place... Then end with an insult to show everyone who really IS the child here..... Added to my 'ignore list'....

Lol....go back to facebook

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, steven100 said:

OP ....   In most countries if a crime is reported then the police act to catch the criminal as they know that's their role in society ... to serve the public and catch the criminals.  

But fat chance of that happening here  !   If there's nothing in it for the cops it goes in the 'to hard basket'  

They really are a lazy bunch ....  and it's endemic in the RTP.   

doesn't matter about your written story book on statistics,  the truth speaks for itself.....

I tend to agree. Maybe you're both right. It occurs to me that it's "visible crime" that's fairly quickly attended to. If there's allegations of theft or property damage, that's usually a different story.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brewster67 said:

If a country's police are apathetic to crime, then wouldn't it be logical that there would be a massive problem with criminal activity in that country?... Seems logical to me... I come from the UK and trust me, crime is rife there, especially violent crime.

There is a lot more policing in the UK, yet, as you say, there seems to be a lot more violent crime and theft in the UK.  This would suggest that the reason for the difference would be down to culture, rather than the police.

I would put it down to culture, values, and the general way that Thai people think and act.

Thais are raised on togetherness from a young age and it is really hammered home that they are all Thais together.  If you see two Thais who have never met each other talking on the street, you might mistake them for best friends.

Thais are also quite keen on doing good deeds, and the poor rarely need to steal to eat.

Also, there is the "village" type attitude in each area, even in the city.  This together with the "mafia" element means that any criminality (if not approved) will likely be dealt with locally and not by the police.

There's "face-saving" culture as well.  Strict hierarchies.  And, of course, Thais are aware that while other Thais are generally peaceful and tolerant, they are also likely to go mad and shoot something over something quite minor.

Basically, there is no law, but there is plenty of order, it is just based on custom, or perhaps even a little bit of "frontier justice".

59 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

You point to a single example that is an exception to reinforce your narrative that Thailand is a terrible lawless place.

And you're denying something that is a regular occurrence because it counters your narrative.

We regularly see stories of officials being transferred rather than facing any kind of penalty for their crimes.  Often when they have committed the same crime previously but this time they didn't get away with it.

I'm not sure how you cannot know how lawless Thailand can be, if you have spent any amount of time there, or follow the news regularly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, safarimike11 said:

You need to ask them one question: Then why are you here?

Maybe they love Thailand and think it's a wonderful place to live?  It's possible that they can think that and still be able to discuss some negative aspect of the place.

This "if you say anything negative about Thailand then you must hate the place and hate Thai people and you should just go home" attitude is quite bizarre.

Normally, the ones who have a problem discussing the pros and cons in an objective way, are people who peg their self-esteem to the image of Thailand and have to say how great the place is, how wonderful everyone is here, how awful it is back home and how all the other foreigners are bad, because it makes them feel good about themselves.

There are obviously things that are good and bad in both Thailand and our home countries.  How could there not be?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

There can be many reason for a perceived lower crime rate in Thailand, and perhaps the generally honest behaviour of most of the population could be a factor?  But the effectiveness of the police is certainly not a factor, as their uselessness is legendary.

But that's not a Thailand specific issue, the UK police are equally useless, as highlighted by news reports today showing 95% of reported crimes in UK go unsolved 

3 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Don't know how many times I hear from my Thai friends and workers that when they need the police they call 2-3 different police stations hoping someone will show up. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Maybe they love Thailand and think it's a wonderful place to live?  It's possible that they can think that and still be able to discuss some negative aspect of the place.

This "if you say anything negative about Thailand then you must hate the place and hate Thai people and you should just go home" attitude is quite bizarre.

Normally, the ones who have a problem discussing the pros and cons in an objective way, are people who peg their self-esteem to the image of Thailand and have to say how great the place is, how wonderful everyone is here, how awful it is back home and how all the other foreigners are bad, because it makes them feel good about themselves.

There are obviously things that are good and bad in both Thailand and our home countries.  How could there not be?

1. Thais used to ask me why I choose to live in Thailand (used to), but I don't  notice this happening any more - guess some people have started reading the foreign news online? This is good, because I no longer need to tell them what an absolute s***hole the UK has become over the last couple of decades. 2. Like a lot of people, I do a big shop when I need to; when I do, I tend to visit 2 or more supermarkets. As I am knocking on a bit now, I am a bit forgetful and leave my car unlocked. Can you imagine leaving your car unlocked with it being half-full of groceries in a supermarket car park in the UK? I have lived in Thailand for over 15 years and have never had anything stolen from my car - or my house for that matter.

• Like 1

I can't remember any time the police have shown up in my GF's village. It does not mean the village is lawless, because the Poo Yai has the final say on every dispute.

It's easy to observe most police are visible at checkpoints or their police stations. Not so easy to see them taking kickbacks from massage shops and bars, but it is there if one keeps their eyes peeled.

As I have never been in trouble with the law here, I don't care. I do prefer Thailand's freedom to the stifling nanny state I come from.

As far as being the victim of crime goes, nothing. OTOH, people who go looking for trouble usually find it.