Japanese Drama: Donated Train Runs through Garbage in Thailand

webfact

Japanese netizen whose photo prompts clean-up in Bangkok thanks SRT

image.jpeg

A Japanese tourist, who shared photos of a Kiha-183 series train, donated to Thailand by Japan, passing through piles of garbage in the Phaya Thai area, thanked the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) for their “quick response” in cleaning the site.

The series of photos the tourist posted on his twitter account, @tabinezumiworld, on July 30, went viral after being shared on the ThailandFootpath Facebook page, which has more than 300,000 followers. The post attracted negative comments like “What a shame! Now the world can see.”

Two days after the photos were uploaded, Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt visited the area and ordered a clean-up.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/japanese-netizen-whose-photo-prompts-clean-up-in-bangkok-thanks-srt/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-08-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A heartwarming gesture from Japan turned sour as a donated train, the KIHA 183, runs amidst piles of garbage in Thailand. The viral image, shared by both Thai and Japanese netizens, depicts the train surrounded by debris from community demolitions.

And they wonder why the Japanese tourists are somewhat reluctant to come visit this pristine country.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On my first visit to Thailand a decade ago, I was appalled to see heaps of household trash a few feet away from what looked like a half decent home, not to mention the lesser homes (aka shacks). And then walking in various areas, to see garbage everywhere including in rivers that were flow-impeded by furniture and appliances. As a Canadian, I was mind-boggled when my new Thai lady friend told me that Thais generally toss their refuse beside the garbage receptacle (what few there were) as opposed to into the receptacle.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

But it is. If the Japanese had not donated this train it would not have been photographed at all. ????

And the photo posting Japanese Tourist has been banned from returning to Thailand for 20 years for his tarnishing of Thailands image overseas.

On 8/2/2023 at 1:00 PM, ikke1959 said:

Normal as there are nowhere bins to find and if you find one they seemed never to be emptied. In the land of no one cares you can this kind of rubbish everywhere.. A duty for the government and the RTP to enforce, but mostly they both are too busy with filling their pockets instead of making and keeping the country beautiful and clean.. And this time it are not the farangs to blame

A Thai friend tells the story that they did have bins once, but locals kept taking them to build cooking fire pit barrels.

He does party a lot so maybe he is remembering something else.

13 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

The rubbish itself was not a problem though.  Only that it would be seen...

This is the Way.

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

A Thai friend tells the story that they did have bins once, but locals kept taking them

I can remember, a few years ago, large yellow 'swing bins' were placed along Pahonyothin rd, around Saphan Mai/Rangsit area. All had disappeared within a week. Imagine my surprise (Not) to see many appear outside neighbor's houses.