Pond Lillies

We planted a few decorative pond lillies in our pond but they have multipled rapidly and now threaten to take over the entire surface water.

How to get rid of them?

We have in the past dug them up whilst under water, pulled them out and recently during the drought pulled them out and combed the mud floor for seeds, now that the water is back the lillies are back as well, so whats the solution if there is one?

Two pictures one of how nice they look and the other trying to dig them out when the water is low

Digging.jpg

P2060118.JPG

Glyphosate

glyphosate kills lily padsAs mentioned in previous articles, glyphosate herbicides specifically approved for water works well with aquatic vegetation removal. As a systemic chemical, glyphosate works its way throughout the entire plant, roots and all. Approved by the EPA, glyphosates are the general go-to for water use, as it does not persist in the environment and is considered generally safe for fish and wildlife as long as label instructions and proper dosages are followed. Aquapro, Refuge, Aquamaster, and Rodeo are popular liquid glyphosate brands that are approved for water use.

• Like 1

Pacu (Looks like a Piranha but is a vegatarian) 

But be careful!

They grow fast and if you put more than 2 in your size pond they will go through your Lotus in no time..

I have Land in Ban Phe where I stocked them (20) on a 1800 sqm lake..

After 18 month all my Lotus were gone.

They are hard to catch once stocked.

To be honest.

On my farm in Isaan I have a 5500 sqm lake and the Pacu is not welcome. (Leasson learned) 

1 hour ago, Mister T said:

Tilapia will eat new shoots, catfish will dig up the roots looking for snacks.

We have been fighting this menace for over five years but I don't think that works, we had two to three hundred tilapia and maybe twenty catfish, plus palai and turtles also Koi in there before the drought this year, never even touched them.

Glyphosate sounds a good idea, now there is no fish or anything else living at all in the pond as it dried right up and killed everything except these darn lillies, the seeds are like hard small black golf balls but cant see them in the mud.

A few years back we gave some lillies to a friend, two weeks later they had all gone, he said snails ate them, I have no idea what kind of snail or where to find them though.