Rips – the silent killer in Phuket’s west coast drownings

snoop1130

1533785467_1-org-768x434.jpg

Four people have drowned over the past five days along Phuket’s west coast. Some of the beaches have potentially dangerous rips that should be understood by anyone considering going into the water at this time of the year at Phuket’s west coast beaches.

Here’s some advice from Associate Professor Robert Brander, PhD, Coastal Geomorphologist, University of New South Wales and Daren Jenner, a Marine Safety Officer, International Surf Lifesaving Association.

Rip currents are strong, narrow seaward flowing currents, like ‘rivers of the sea’, that can develop on beaches when waves are breaking across wide areas. These currents are also responsible for the vast majority of beach rescues by lifeguards around the world, and are the main cause of beach-related drownings.

By Peter Roche

Caption: Rips in Phuket, Thailand

Full Story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-life/rips-the-silent-killer-in-phukets-west-coast-drownings/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-08-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

On 8/4/2023 at 9:31 AM, RichardColeman said:

Rip tides I would say are less of a threat of drowning than the idiocy of ignoring the flags !

Swimming outside the flags is an added risk for safe water activity for sure.

Rips can appear anywhere though Richard. I've seen and had to effect with our SLAA patrols rescues in Oz many times where a rip has developed within 1 minute AND right between flags. 

The prime thing to remember is to not enter the water if you are a weak swimmer, or conditions are challenging and or (even if reasonably competent) the surf is running high and hard.

At best if a weak or non swimmer then to stay right at the waters edge and sit down and enjoy the cooling water as it flushed up on the beach.

Even this can be dangerous if your a lightweight person, and or the water is draining powerfully of the sand.

Even standing at waist height can see, you knocked off your feet and with the receding wave drawn out past standing depth in a second or two, or have the bottom sucked right out from under you and before you know it theres no bottom to stand on.

You add no knowledge on how to dive through waves safely and effectively and seeing people being knocked too and from by the waves and dragged and turned topsy-turvy and you get drownings.

On 8/3/2023 at 5:31 PM, RichardColeman said:

Rip tides I would say are less of a threat of drowning than the idiocy of ignoring the flags !

But people are ignorant that rip currents exist. They think that the flags are there just to warn novices of the waves. It ain't their first wavy beach. So they go for it. To be cautious , they find a calmer spot to go in. Which is exactly where the rip current is. 

I swam in beaches in the Mediterranean, Mexico and Canada. Some that get wavy af. But I never heard of rip currents till I got to Phuket.  Im not sure about Jomtien or Wongamat but I dont recall seeing anything about them in Pattaya beach either

Edited by Harsh Jones
  • Like 1