Please help!! 60 TR Visa Advice Needed

Hi all, advice needed, please! ❤️????

My nationality/passport: GB, UK ????????
Currently staying in: Koh Samui, TH ????????

My current visa situation: Arrived to TH on 29th May 2023 with a TR 60 Day visa (tourist), I applied for this online whilst in the UK.

I have now extended this visa another 30 days, giving me until 27th Agust left to stay in Thailand.

My question:

> Can I leave the country, cross the border & apply for another 60 Day TR/Tourist visa from an embassy in said country?

> Furthermore, which country/border crossing is the quickest/cheapest to do from Koh Samui?

I suggest that you have a chat with someone who does this every week and knows what is possible  - on the ground.

Immigration offices can vary from office to office in how they handle things. What works at one office, sometimes does not work at another.

Herbert has been taking people for 'border bounces' for 20 years. He tends to be aware of the latest local 'rules'.

https://hdvisa-thailand.com/

Visa runs are usually to Malaysia.

By the way, quickest is usually not the cheapest.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

From Koh Samui, there are agents who take people to Penang, Kota Bharu and Ranong (depending on their requirements). That is not the absolute cheapest solution, but may be best for the inexperienced.

At Penang and Kota Bharu, it is possible to apply for tourist visas. At Ranong, you simply do a "border bounce" for a 30-day visa exemption (entering Thailand for a short time without a visa"). You can do that overland twice per calendar year, and the 30-day permission to stay from the visa exemption can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

Are you planning to become a long stay tourist? If so, advance planning is important. It is very difficult to use tourist visas and visa exemptions long term.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BritTim said:

From Koh Samui, there are agents who take people to Penang, Kota Bharu and Ranong (depending on their requirements). That is not the absolute cheapest solution, but may be best for the inexperienced.

At Penang and Kota Bharu, it is possible to apply for tourist visas. At Ranong, you simply do a "border bounce" for a 30-day visa exemption (entering Thailand for a short time without a visa"). You can do that overland twice per calendar year, and the 30-day permission to stay from the visa exemption can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

Are you planning to become a long stay tourist? If so, advance planning is important. It is very difficult to use tourist visas and visa exemptions long term.

Hello!

thanks so much for responding to me 

so it’s my first time in Thailand, my history is clean. No previous visas or overstaying.

my plan is this —> I wanted to come back on another 60 Day TR visa to give myself a time buffer to sort out my personal situation. Then I would like to apply for the ED Visa for 1 year.

do you think I’ll have difficulty getting the ED visa if I come back on another tourist, or should I rather just start the ED Visa application process now?

In short -> I am 100% looking at becoming a long term resident in Thailand if possible and would like to ensure I don’t screw my chances of that happening now by abusing the tourist system. 

Getting another tourist visa will not impact your chances of a Non Ed visa later.

If you are planning on becoming a long term resident in Thailand, your best approach will depend on your age and how financially secure you are.

4 minutes ago, Rudi OD said:

Totally understandable, thank you brother. I’m 20 years old at the moment, working remotely on a fairly decent wage at the moment. 

elite visa is out the question for now, but the ED is within budget for sure. 

other than those two I’m not really aware of any other long term options?

You seem to understand the situation fairly well. No doubt, you have talked to others. Eventually, easing the visa issue can become one of the motives for marriage, but it is not a good idea to rush into that!

58 minutes ago, Rudi OD said:

Other than those two I’m not really aware of any other long term options?

BitTim has pretty much covered it.

Added point to consider staying in Thailand on tourist visas and border bounce is LOCATION.

For example staying Samui is fine for tourist visa stamp + 30 day extension.

From there it's better to stay in locations that have more easy border runs (visa exempt entry) options.

No good options for ongoing stay in Thailand for unmarried under 50.

Just a suggestion ....Spending half the year (cumulative) in Thailand and other 6 months in places like Vietnam is possible.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

You seem to understand the situation fairly well. No doubt, you have talked to others. Eventually, easing the visa issue can become one of the motives for marriage, but it is not a good idea to rush into that!

Yeah for sure man!! 

Thank you. Marriage visa is definitely an option --> but definitely not one to rush into. I do currently have a Thai girlfriend who's the same age as me, but its only been 2 months HAHA! Early days early days.

ED visa should suit for now! ????

Thanks again

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

BitTim has pretty much covered it.

Added point to consider staying in Thailand on tourist visas and border bounce is LOCATION.

For example staying Samui is fine for tourist visa stamp + 30 day extension.

From there it's better to stay in locations that have more easy border runs (visa exempt entry) options.

No good options for ongoing stay in Thailand for unmarried under 50.

Just a suggestion ....Spending half the year (cumulative) in Thailand and other 6 months in places like Vietnam is possible.

Good shout!! 

Thank you. 

I am actually planning on moving to Nahkon Si Thammarat province, so currently searching for ED Visa options there, however will definitely keep these pointers in mind. Thank you so much. 

Vietnam is on the list for sure, stayed there last year for a month & loved it!!